Are you going to continue using MFP?

Options

Replies

• camilloapril
    camilloapril Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To me, it would be nothing short of ignorant to stop using it. Keeping up with what you eat & how much you exercise makes YOU be accountable for YOURSELF. Best wishes, congratulations, & keep logging in!!!
  • slimgators67
    slimgators67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am continuing to use MFP after achieving my goal weight. Helps me to stay realistic about my calories and exercise. I am also a member of Take Off Pounds Sensibly TOPS a great support group.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for several months and while I can't say that I'll use the site FOREVER, I plan to use it tomorrow. I like the self accountability, and the easy place to track the choices I make. Plus I really enjoy the interaction I get from the group of friends who have chosen to go along with me. We'll see about forever, but definitely tomorrow!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    To me, it would be nothing short of ignorant to stop using it. Keeping up with what you eat & how much you exercise makes YOU be accountable for YOURSELF. Best wishes, congratulations, & keep logging in!!!

Realize that you can do all of the above without actually logging a diary. Millions and millions of healthy and fit people do it every day.

I will add what I always add to these posts...keeping a food diary is like having training wheels on your bike...eventually, you should be able to just ride...it's kind of the point IMO.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yes, when I reach my goal I will continue to track my food to keep accountable.I will make part of my daily routine such as taking a shower, brushing my teeth etc.Its so easy to lose track of what you are eating. Even when I am away from home and I am unable to log my food, I end up eating large portions and going for that extra cookie because I am not forced to fit that into my calorie goal. So I will still log my food when I reach my goal.Pain in the butt ? yes but it beats having to lose weight again
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight before I discovered MFP, and I think I could reach my goal weight without it. But now I'm totally hooked, and I obsessively log calories like some people do crossword puzzles. I could stop if I wanted to, but let me just calculate that piece of turkey quinoa meatloaf first ...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If in a few years it syncs with this, I will definitely continue using it!

www.technologyreview.com/news/528721/ge-device-measures-the-calories-on-your-plate/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Realize that you can do all of the above without actually logging a diary. Millions and millions of healthy and fit people do it every day.

I will add what I always add to these posts...keeping a food diary is like having training wheels on your bike...eventually, you should be able to just ride...it's kind of the point IMO.

I will continue to use it yes...for a few reasons. I have been in maitenance for almost 3 months and have found it useful.

Yes you can maintain without it...or some can....

Yes it can be seen as a "training wheels" by some but that being said the analogy above...well you can debate that.

What about those who log to keep track of macros? or need to gain at first and get to that weight....but require this site to ensure they don't lose.

I would say it's more liike a tool....let's say a hammer...would you try to drive a nail home without one? maybe use a rock which would work but it's not as useful as a hammer.

Or even a security blanket of some sort...we as humans all like to feel safe and by logging lots of us get that warm hug of "yes you are doing what you need to do to not gain your weight back"

And there is nothing wrong with that at all IMHO
  • SaltedEverything
    SaltedEverything Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to use it sporadically. Basically, have a goal weight range rather than a specific number and weigh in every day. If I go above the upper limit by even 1 gram, I would diet down to the lower limit number. A perpetual yoyo.

That's how I did it when I took a break from weight loss. I would maintain without counting for 2-3 months but at some point my weight would creep up and I would need a month or so to bring it back to the lowest limit.
    This! MFP (a different account) got me past a plateau last year, but I stopped using it for 6 months after reaching goal weight. Gradually regained 3kg and a few bad habits. A couple of weeks of logging has more or less fixed that.

Essentially, I plan to use it as a reality check when needed. Not every day for the rest of my life.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've stopped thinking about a certain scale number as a 'goal' and rather choosing for this to be a way of life for me. I'm happy with me today, and I will just continue to do what I do.

I've finally mastered the food logging so it doesn't take forever, and I have gained some invaluable friends on here, which I plan to always keep in touch with.

MFP is part of my 'church', my community, and it will keep me honest and encouraged during the times i need a reminder.
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    I stopped logging when I reached my goal. I think what ill do when I reach it again it just continue to weigh every week.Then if I am gaining ill go back on a log again.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am still using MFP and will continue to do so for as long as this lovely website exists. :flowerforyou:
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Logging on MFP is part of my day as much as cleaning my teeth, regardless of my goals. This site has been a Godsend :)
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance mode for quite a few months and have stopped logging my cals. I have learnt now that I can choose the right meals and not have to rely on a food scale or consciously count cals.

I still plan to be on here as I want to pursue some body recomp. I think the forum is a great source of information as well as entertainment :)
  • Starthrower77
    Options
    I always gain the weight back if I don't keep logging. I think it's the "habits" that lead to success with weight loss/fitness and this is part of successful maintenance. And I find it enjoyable!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Been here about 4 years. Have no plans to leave. Thanks MFP, for everything :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I will continue to use it yes...for a few reasons. I have been in maitenance for almost 3 months and have found it useful.

Yes you can maintain without it...or some can....

Yes it can be seen as a "training wheels" by some but that being said the analogy above...well you can debate that.

What about those who log to keep track of macros? or need to gain at first and get to that weight....but require this site to ensure they don't lose.

I would say it's more liike a tool....let's say a hammer...would you try to drive a nail home without one? maybe use a rock which would work but it's not as useful as a hammer.

Or even a security blanket of some sort...we as humans all like to feel safe and by logging lots of us get that warm hug of "yes you are doing what you need to do to not gain your weight back"

And there is nothing wrong with that at all IMHO

Having been at this going on two years, I know pretty much by feel what my macros are...I might not be bang on, but really there's little need to be. I think people overly obsess about stuff like that. I know how to eat right and get proper nutrition...that is, IMO, far more important than getting exactly XXX grams of protein or whatever. That said, this kind of stuff is more important to an athlete or body builder, etc...it isn't overly important for the average Joe. Being that I'm just into nutrition and fitness and not an elite level athlete, I really don't bother with hitting my macros bang on...I'm pretty well balanced and close enough for my purposes.

I think for the vast majority, logging for all of eternity for the rest of your life is probably really not going to happen...I mean, I plan on being around another 35 - 40 years...sorry...not going to happen here...and it's not going to happen for most people. Keeping a diary is a tool...one that should be used to train you how to eat properly both in terms of quality and quantity...when you truly make those kind of lifestyle changes...where you actually change your diet (noun) and how you eat, etc there is little need to log...and one can always come back if they find themselves a little off track.

When I tell people I don't log, many make the mistake of thinking I'm not keeping a tally...I am...in my head. I'm very mindful of what I put into my mouth both in terms of quality and quantity. I've also learned to listen to my body and understand true hunger vs boredom, etc. Again, I've been at this a couple of years...that's a lot of time for me to learn lots of things.

I did log for awhile when I went into maintenance...I logged for about 3 months or so. At that point I decided that I really needed to be able to do things on my own...it gets tedious, and like I said, the vast majority are not going to log a diary for all of eternity...that's just not realistic in the least. Best to learn how to ride without the training wheels IMO.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You should continue to use it to help support others.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't always log on the weekends or if I'm traveling because sometimes I don't have the technology available. Mostly I just try to stay active and eat reasonably in my mind I'm always ticking off my protein, dairy, F&V's and whole grains for the day and water is never really an issue because I've always got a cup going. I'd like to say I don't need to log in to MFP every day but if I didn't log in I wouldn't know what my MFP buddies are up to.

You'll find what's right for you but none of us ever knows everything so if you think maintenance is the end of the journey you're going to be sadly mistaken, it just keeps going and going as long as you stay on the road.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am not a "maintainer" yet but I plan to keep logging for quite awhile...probably years. And my plan even after I stop logging someday is to weigh every morning and reel in my eating if I go up more than 2 lb at any time.