Are you going to continue using MFP?

Options
Sorry if this has been asked before... I'm sure it has. I'm just wondering -- I'm about 10 lbs away from my goal weight, and I've been thinking about what I will do after I get to that point. Using MFP has played a HUGE role in my weight loss, and I'm a little nervous to stop using it. I've been on here for 11 months, and by now I do have a pretty good idea about the calorie amount in different portions of different foods I eat the most. But, I'm afraid that I'll slowly start underestimating the amount of calories I'm totaling per day, and weight will creep back on. Ideally, I'd like to not be tied to manually logging my food intake for the rest of my life... but it makes me scared not to. I'm just not sure what to do. For those of you that have maintained, do you still log every day?

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I wish I had when I first lost fifty pounds. Then I wouldn't have to lose the same weight all over again (despite running marathons, mind you) if that tells you anything.) Of course it took ten years to gain it back so all my running was doing was slowing the weight gain. My diet was making the weight gain happen. I could have stopped the gain by logging. Now I'm doing same workouts but logging. Presto! Weight coming off again.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I've been hovering around my goal weight for a few years now. I do bulk/cut cycles to gain muscle and lose fat so I still need to keep my calories fairly precise. I think the fact that I continue to improve my physique despite having got my weight to where it needed to be is part of the reason I have kept my weight off. I would not stop logging until you have at least maintained for as long as it took you to take the weight off. Even then I'd start logging again if you find yourself putting the weight back on. I would most certainly keep weighing yourself once a week. According to the National Weight Control Registry (a group that tracks people who've lost weight and kept it off) weighing ones self at least once a week was once of the traits they found common among those who've kept the weight off.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have met my goal, went on maintenance and I still lost weight. I am now tweaking my calories so I no longer lose. I have no intentions of leaving MFP. I could not have made the necessary life style changes without this site. I have learned so much and have received support from strangers whereas there is no support at home. I fear walking away and gaining my weight back. This site keeps me accountable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I will always use MFP, it keeps me accountable and this way I can have treats guilt and worry free. Totally worth the 5 minutes it takes to log.
  • ShrinkingKari
    ShrinkingKari Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will keep using it until I die or until the site goes away. The same with my Body Media. I tried going a day without and learned that I cannot eye ball a serving yet. If I ever stop then I will probably put all the lost weight back on.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking with MFP. What I do is log my food Mon-fri and not on weekends as I continued losing logging all the time and right now it's working at keeping me in maintenance bracket I still am able to keep control throughout the week and join in things and be relaxed at weekends.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yes. :bigsmile:
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Still losing, but when I reach maintenance, I'm not sure whether I'll use MFP for food logging. I know I will either weigh or check my body fat regularly (maybe daily), and know I have some good tools to nip any weight creep in the bud before it really gets going, but just not sure about logging yet.

I appreciate the role of logging in my ongoing weight loss, but equally do not want to obsess about weight, as long as I can maintain my weight loss. It makes for an interesting conundrum alright! :)

I think if I do continue to log, I shall probably be a little more loose and ready with logging, as I tend to have a good idea of the calorie content of most things, so I can imagine just logging a calorie amount instead of putting in each individual item. I can definitely see how having some sort of picture as to how the week has gone would be good, as something else I'm imagining is while maintaining how I could see myself eating quite well during the week, banking some calories, and then enjoying myself the weekend.

I'm musing out loud now, and should probably stop, lol :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yep. it's ingrained in my routine now.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why would I quit logging? It has worked fine for almost 800 days and it takes me less than 5 minutes daily to log my food.
  • SinCityFit
    Options
    I've been using it since I started in 2009.

230 lbs -> 112 lbs lowest -> 122.5 lbs now

5'4"

For me it helps me to make sure I take in enough calcium and protein mostly.

And helps me be aghast at the amount of calories stuff in restaurants, fast food places, and work has.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Lifer here.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP over three years ago. I met my target weight in less than a year's time. I've continued to log in and log my foods every day since then as part of my maintenance plan. MFP has become a part of my daily life now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to use it sporadically. Basically, have a goal weight range rather than a specific number and weigh in every day. If I go above the upper limit by even 1 gram, I would diet down to the lower limit number. A perpetual yoyo.

That's how I did it when I took a break from weight loss. I would maintain without counting for 2-3 months but at some point my weight would creep up and I would need a month or so to bring it back to the lowest limit.
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    yes, it has helped shape and mole the person i am now and i want more becasue there is more work to be done so this site is needed to reach furthur goals
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    yes and no. I've been so into nutrition and calories and blah blah blah :laugh: for like 5 years now that I can pretty much tell you the calories of a food when I pick it up (sometimes I do that just my annoying my husband) so I have a good idea most of the time how much I'm eating. The reason I'm mainly on MFP is social and It tracks my measurements and weight in a chart for me.
    I think it's good every once in awhile to plug in some numbers to make sure you're on track but no when I hit my goal in a year or so I won't be using MFP much after I slowly go on maintenance
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that, like many others, when I don't log I get a bit complacent and end up going totally over on my calories, hence gaining back a considerable amount after stopping the logging because I was confident I "knew" what I was eating (oh boy was I wrong). I will continue to log as it doesn't take too much time and have found some really supportive MFPers on here going through the same thing as me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining here for over 3 years. It's easy, it works and it's a habit now so why not? :flowerforyou:
  • ShadowFallRising
    ShadowFallRising Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    been maintaining for a week or two, I believe, and I have no intention of stopping. If I do, I fear I will binge or misjudge portions and gain weight back. I like staying in control of my weight. and I love the community here :)