I'm done, I quit.

Options

Replies

• mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Just one thing, don't think of it as quitting, think of it as starting to not smoke.
  • somwonsomwer
    Options
    As an ex smoker myself, I am here to support you and tell you no matter how hard it gets when you are going through withdrawal, trust me it is SO worth it. And IT WILL get better :) Stick with it and you will be so glad you did it !

( and I smoked for a longer time ... I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 10+ years)
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Respect

Here's something to do if you feel up to it. If you find some cigarettes, squash em with your shoes. Thats what I do anyways, and now my friends who smoke try to avoid me if they want a smoke because of it lol
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Another update! As of 10pm tonight, I've been smoke free for a week! :D
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Another update! As of 10pm tonight, I've been smoke free for a week! :D

Well done

200.gif
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! This is a decision you will never regret. :-)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Wonderful! This is a decision you will never regret. :-)

Thank you! It's definitely tough with the occasional "YOU NEED THIS" cravings that kick in, but reminding myself that nothing good in life is easy (and seeing my bank account with an extra $40 in it from not buying cigarettes!) has been good motivation, and kept it easy to stay on the wagon. Each day might have a tough patch, but it's a lot better than giving in to a craving that's only worth ten minutes of my time. :) Plus going on to day eight today!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 15 years and quit in 2001 - it's something you wont' regret! One thing I learned last year when my father was diagnosed with bladder cancer is that smoking is a major cause of bladder cancer - just one more reason.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Minus one one-time slipup eight days in (very scary/stressful situation! But it did nothing for me, and I had absolutely no interest in doing it again, let alone the next day), I am three weeks in, going into my fourth now! I feel awesome, and I rewarded myself with all the money I've saved (probably $120 at this point!!) with a new work wardrobe. :) This has been a breeze, and I'm so happy I've done it! Not only have I saved a ridiculous amount of money, but my body feels 100% better. And I think I'm ready to conquer a Zumba class tonight too!
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Thanks for the update!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Wonderful! Thanks for the update!

No problem! Also passed the one month mark as well. :)
  • ruthierama
    ruthierama Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! I am so glad I quit. Super great that you made this choice. Stand by it. :-)
  • mandez19
    Options
    Don't you mean you are taking up "not-smoking"?
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Awesome!!!! I am so glad I quit. Super great that you made this choice. Stand by it. :-)

How long do you have under your belt? Congrats! And thank you. :)
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In the past week, I've spent nearly $40 on cigarettes. That's almost two weeks of groceries for me.

Not to get off topic...but I'd like to see your shopping list and know how this is possible. :laugh: So jealous.

Congrats on quitting smoking. I'm an off an on smoker (mostly off) who used to smoke a lot more in college--you know, cause I was a writing major and that's what we did...smoked cigarettes, sat in diners, and drank coffee--oh, brother. I found once I quit I had so much more energy. I don't have any tricks to share, just offering some support.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to quit. It will the best thing you have ever done for yourself! I smoked for 25 years (on and off, mostly on). As of right now:

49 days smoke free (cold turkey)
    992 cigs not smoked!
    $238.08 dollars saved
    4 days back onto my life.

You got this! good job.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Way to Go! Just don't put another one in your mouth. It's not easy. But it will compliment your fitness goals.
    I smoked from 12 til,42 yoa. About 30 years clean now. Never looked back. Got fit. Never realized how bad I had been feeling all those years until I noticed how good everything felt now. Thousands of $$ absolutely wasted. Worse than just wasted, harmful to me and others.
    Stay with it. Smoking anything is NOT COOL. ( Unless its "smoking" the competition in a 5K or something:wink: )
  • Cammyfaye
    Cammyfaye Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That is great that you have taken this step..smoking is just plain bad for you as you already know..I can give you a little more motivation I think..My brother-in-law started having issues with his legs, they would just collapse under him and his foot started turning black. This was about a year ago. He finally got in front of the right doctor and they determined that he had no pulse in his legs anymore. They were dying. The disease is called atherosclerosis, and it seems it can come from smoking or if the person is just for whatever reason susceptible to it. The smoking literally kills the arteries in the legs. He had surgery to fix this, and then went right back to smoking 2 weeks later. To make a long story short, he is at this very minute in surgery once again because the smoking undoes the surgery. He could lose his legs or even his life. It is a 5 hour surgery so you can imagine how extensive it is. Smoking is just not worth it. It can do so much more damage to your body then a lot even realize. So congratulations for making the most important decision of your life and I wish you all the motivation in the world to succeed.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    In the past week, I've spent nearly $40 on cigarettes. That's almost two weeks of groceries for me.

Not to get off topic...but I'd like to see your shopping list and know how this is possible. :laugh: So jealous.

Congrats on quitting smoking. I'm an off an on smoker (mostly off) who used to smoke a lot more in college--you know, cause I was a writing major and that's what we did...smoked cigarettes, sat in diners, and drank coffee--oh, brother. I found once I quit I had so much more energy. I don't have any tricks to share, just offering some support.

Shopping for one, buying in bulk, and coupons!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You go boss!

I quit three years ago and it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I am seriously still so stoked that I did it.

Good luck!