Belong to a gym? Or workout at home?

Options

Replies

• SkierElle
    Options
    I go to the rec centre at my school a few days a week, usually between classes when I'm bored! But I have been doing insanity for 2.5 weeks so I do that at home every morning.. I like going to the rec center because when it's crappy outside, I have no excuses. I also like to do a variety of workouts and try new things, and the classes can be a good time. I really miss the Les Mills classes I took when studying abroad. An RPM sess would really stoke me right about now... I may have to hit up the local gym.

However I am graduating in May (and by that time I'm hoping to be in super good shape) and I wont want to lose that fitness! planning on grad school in Europe and I have no idea what sort of gyms they have there. I am sure i'll be doing plenty of walking though, and I'll definitely be bringing Insanity with me... as well as a bike =) Workouts should be exciting not the same all the time! If I had a choice I would ski, hike and snowshoe every day of my life... but apparently that is not an option?! maybe I should be a ski bum with my bachelor of science degree :)
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I do a combination of home and in the gym. I have my own treadmill, and I use that first thing in the morning. After work, I might hit up the gym or run on the track. At least two days out of the week, I attend another gym where I teach aerobics. The only reason I go to the gym for a personal workout is to use the weights.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out outdoors, I also do P90X on weight training days....

I am not a gym lover at all......
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS make excuses not to go...gym is not my thing....
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. I have an elliptical, Wii Fit and a ball at home for emergencies but that's the only equipment I have. I have two kids so if I try to workout at home it's not going to be a very good workout. I have a friend I workout with, and we really push each other pretty hard. I also meet with a trainer 1 day a week to keep me accountable, and on track.
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I workout at the gym. I found I get really lazy about at home workout and needed a way to eliminate the "skip the workout" mentality.

I figure I'm paying for it..I had better go..it's wasted cash (which I don't have a lot of) if I don't. I chose a gym that has several locations I can use (24 Hour Fitness). I have one less than 10 minutes from home and one less than 5 minutes from work, so even on busy days I have no excuse not to workout (lunch hour on the elliptical).

My gym is great! Clean, nice people, lots of machines (cardio and weights) and GREAT group fitness.

So far it's working..4 months working out 6 days a week and no sign of stopping :-)
  • badrianne
    Options
    Right now I don't have a gym membership. But I wish I did, because I prefer doing cardio in the elliptical machine or treadmill. I like to do my strength training at home...just b/c a lot of big burly men are usually in that section and it makes me uncomfortable to be in "their" space. I dunno that may sound silly, but it's how I feel!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I use exercise DVDs (I have "Insanity," "Yoga Meltdown," and "10 min Solutions Pilates"). I also make up my own crossfit type workouts with a variety of kettlebell, cardio, and strength training. I also run outside (I live in AZ so the weather is nice enough to do this). We used to have a treadmill but I get too bored on it. We do have a home gym and free weights. I'll admit that I don't use them as often as I would like to but I still get a good variety.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    For me there's no clear "best solution" - some days it's really hard to make myself go to the gym, but once I'm there I've noticed I'm much more likely to get a really good quality workout in. When I workout at home, sometimes I'll start something and get distracted or find a reason to shorten my workout... but I may be more likely to start a workout than if I have to drive to the gym.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid plan. I prefer walking outdoors but it has gotten cold but I am fortunate that we have a local church that has a pretty good gym (walking track, full bball court, treadmills, ellipticals, weights, and an aerobic room) that they let the public use for free.

So, if I don't get the walking done at home I make myself go to the gym. Plus I go a couple of times a week just to use the weights.

BUT -

The reason I don't join a gym is because I go play in the pool or soak in the hot tub and then congratulate myself for spending two hours at the gym when the reality of it was that I didn't get diddle squat done.

BUT -

I have a gym membership planned into my reward system. I have set my rewards at 50 pound milestones (new shoes at 350, a HRM at 300, Gym membership at 250, personal trainer at 200). Each reward is intended to be a new tool to intensify my workouts and get me to my next mileston.

I say all to give you some pros (it may help you to intensify your workout) and the cons (don't view it as a social event where you go talk and play in the pool and soak in the hot tub).

Just something to think about.

I wish you the best.

- Eva
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym and have recently started the P90x. I still go to the gym on my days off of work and do a double workout. However personally my workouts that I was doin at the gym were 10 times harder than the P90x. I find the moves to be rather easy. I am on week 2 day 3. The gym is my home away from home. But since it's soooo cold it's just alot easier for me to wake up and workout at home then to get up start up my car then drive 5 miles to my gym. It's all personal perference. Personally I like the gym more
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I love gym. My membership is only $19 per month cause it's YMCA scholorship. I turn off EVERYTHING in my house and use their EVERYTHING for hours a day. My bills are getting cheap. I only use the water for laundry and dishes. Hehe.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 6 to 7 times a week. To lift what I need to lift, I need the weights at the gym. They also have a little cardio area with a dvd player, so if I ever decide to try p90x again, I can do it there.
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have just joined a gym in town today with the intention of going a couple of times a week stright from work. I went tonight and really enjoyed it, I have previously been road running and doing the 30 day shred. The running hasnt worked out too well recently :grumble: due to snow and ice. I must say, I did a 40 mins work out (20 mins Elliptical & 20 mins running on treadmill) and I got a really good sweat on!!! I think I worked a lot harder than I would at home!!

Am already looking forward to heading back tomorrow for a good workout!!!

I do also enjoy working out at home, but find it easier to motivate myself in Spring / Summer, think the winter months are more for gym time!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and I hate it...I loved going to the gym. I refused to make friends there though, it just distracted me from my purpose...but I loved the feeling I got from accomplishing a new machine, or having someone smile at you because you're there so much they recognize you. I love the people watching, the sweating, the different things I can do. I find it harder to work out at home because I'm already sitting on the couch...just going downstairs is difficult. I can waste another half an hour sitting here because the basement isn't going anywhere, where as going to the gym meant that it closed at a certain time, and different things were going on so I had to pick my time wisely...it was just so much better than hauling my butt downstairs to do Insanity.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Gym got and absolutely love it, i cant find the motivation to do a dvd work out at home (i tried wii fitness it lasted for a bit on the wooden floors!)

I go to the classes in the gym but maybe you should try free days and 1 week memberships at your local gyms (some do bring a friend days)

I'm a moody cow without it
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. Though I was doing P90x for a while. For a month that my gym was closed and then using the gym for cardio on doubles days.

I love the gym for a couple reasons.

1) I work from home and it is basically the ONLY time I get out of the house
    2) They have child care :laugh:. It's no longer open when I go, but I joined mostly to get an hour a day away from my son!
    3) I have to deal with him and the dogs and all the crap in the house being in my way if I try to work out at home in my way too small living room where I can't even do rolling supermans because I can't lie down in one direction and not enough room to roll around in the other!
    4) I am more likely to push aside a "Date" between me and the DVD player, especially if my husband is home since he likely will want the Tv
    5) I go to classes at the gym so I have a set time I "have" to be there and it gets me out the door. I like someone else planning the program and I just show up. I also like the variety vs DVDs. And I like to see people who are not my son or my husband!
    6) also, at home I find myself trying to multitask - fold laundry during warm up and cool down, pause to make my son a PBJ, start the spaghetti boiling so it will be done when my hubby gets home, etc...
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Gym!

I used to use my Wii and do Wii fit and EA Active which was great and I lost 14lbs doing it and toned up. However this summer I joined a gym because I wanted to start resistance/strength training and I couldnt be happier with the results! I find im more motivated to do cardio because of classes and the weights have really toned up my arms and legs, plus I am a lot stronger than I was, which was the whole point of it I guess! :D
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    Gym all the way. We have a family membership at the Y and I'm there 5-6 times a week. I get way too distracted at home and don't have a lot of floor space. I love the classes at the Y (especially spinning) and do all my strength training there. I make it a point to go straight there in the morning after I drop my kids off at school during the week and swim practice on the weekend-no excuses. For the next 2 weeks while my son is recovering from surgery I'll have to figure something out here at home unless I get up super early and go before my husband goes to work. This could get ugly!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    dbl post :blushing: