Muscle, fat, density, weight, mass...oh my!

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    So after reading through this thread - I just have one question...

If I'm standing on the top of a mountain with an elevation of 13,000 feet above sea level on the planet Vespa...

Which weighs more? A metric ton of bricks or a metric ton of feathers?

Don't ask me how I got a metric ton of feathers up the mountain - assume it's irrelevant to the analysis.
    EVERYBODY KNOWS BRICKS WEIGH MORE THAN FEATHERS DUH
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't think you do or else you wouldn't have written that last paragraph in your other post.

So let me restate it shorter and simpler.
    Person A says Muscle weighs more than fat.
    Person B says Nuh-uh, a pound is a pound. or Nuh-uh muscle is more DENSE than fat.

OP is trying to say that Person B's sentence is equally "wrong" as Person A's, which is to say it's not, it just leaves out details that the listener gets out of the implication, see my first post in this thread if you want to, or don't, I'm not your boss.
    That is pretty much all there is to it.

Wow. A reasonable person who gets my OP.

Just....

Just let them have the Internets.

I'll have to remember next time that I am an engineer. So, anything I say can be written off as antisocial, arrogant and abrasive.

You all win.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

If I'm standing on the top of a mountain with an elevation of 13,000 feet above sea level on the planet Vespa...

Don't ask me how I got a metric ton of feathers up the mountain - assume it's irrelevant to the analysis.
    EVERYBODY KNOWS BRICKS WEIGH MORE THAN FEATHERS DUH

Gotcha - it's because Bricks have more carbs, right?
  • rjmudlax13
    Options
    I don't think you do or else you wouldn't have written that last paragraph in your other post.

Person B says Nuh-uh, a pound is a pound. or Nuh-uh muscle is more DENSE than fat.

OP is trying to say that Person B's sentence is equally "wrong" as Person A's, which is to say it's not, it just leaves out details that the listener gets out of the implication, see my first post in this thread if you want to, or don't, I'm not your boss.
    so it was all basically an "i know more than you do" post. got it

like i said, arbitrary distinctions. you could literally go on and on like this for hours if your going to nitpick every variable that hasnt been explicitly stated

It has nothing to do with egos. Why are you so insecure about it anyway?

Again, you are essentially agreeing with us and don't even realize it because you want to prove that you are above it or something. (I really don't get what you are trying prove now to be honest.)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

like i said, arbitrary distinctions. you could literally go on and on like this for hours if your going to nitpick every variable that hasnt been explicitly stated

Again, you are essentially agreeing with us and don't even realize it because you want to prove that you are above it or something. (I really don't get what you are trying prove now to be honest.)

The point is there is no point for this entire thread because like how engineers can use certain language and still get the context. 90% of us know what muscle weighs more than fat means.

Book smart there buddy.

edit for correction
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

not insecure at all, i just think alot of what you brought up was just an issue of people taking the literal definition of everything, and you chalk this up to lack of understanding physics. all im saying is that doing this is a little useless, you could do it with almost any aspect of the human language. i suppose we are agreeing to an extent with one main difference; i dont see the point of making these little distinctions due to one or two variables that arent explicitly stated. i dont know, maybe you dont either, but then what was the point of the post in the first place. the difference between mass and weight has very little to do with losing weight, or health and fitness of any sort.

im not even sure what im trying to prove either at this point. all i know is this day is going by super fast because of this thread, which i will thank you for
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No. We are f'ed as a species because people still believe global warming is a hoax. We are f'ed as a species because people still reject evolution. We are f'ed as a species because people still think vaccines are not necessary and cause more harm than good.
    For someone who argues in favor of precisely precise language, you certainly glossed over the difference between anthropogenic global warming in particular and global warming in general.

That said, it's pretty clear that the "muscle doesn't weigh more than fat" faction doesn't apply the same "a pound is a pound" reasoning to many situations -- lead and hydrogen, bricks and styrofoam, helium and air -- that they want applied so excruciatingly to muscle and fat. I'm not sure why that is, but very, very few people want to argue that lead and hydrogen weigh the same because a pound of each is a pound of each.
  • rjmudlax13
    Options
    90% of us know what muscle weighs more than fat means.

Book smart there buddy.

I agree with you except for the 90%. If it were 90%, people wouldn't be "correcting" that statement ALL THE FRIGIN TIME.

So are you implying by your last statement that education is uncool or something? Eh forget it.

It's funny and entertaining because I feel like I am arguing against myself here.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    90% of us know what muscle weighs more than fat means.

Book smart there buddy.

I agree with you except for the 90%. If it were 90%, people wouldn't be "correcting" that statement ALL THE FRIGIN TIME.

So are you implying by your last statement that education is uncool or something? Eh forget it.

It's funny and entertaining because I feel like I am arguing against myself here.
    Oh no caps. Someone is upset now.
    You are new to the boards. Only 488 post so yes you do not know how everyone thinks they need to correct every single statement. Yes you are arguing to no one now at this point.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

I would tell you, but it's horribly complicated and involves the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. You would never understand.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

"Muscle is more dense (sic) than fat" - Another incomplete statement. Again, there is no frame of reference. A better statement would be: "At the same pressure and temperature, muscle is denser than fat."

My favorite part was including the "(sic)" [sic] in a made up quote ...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As a fellow engineer, let me give the OP some advice: STFU. You make the rest of us look bad.

And while you may not have tried to come off as pretentious, that was precisely the result.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I would tell you, but it's horribly complicated and involves the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. You would never understand.

African or European?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    As a fellow engineer, let me give the OP some advice: STFU. You make the rest of us look bad.

And while you may not have tried to come off as pretentious, that was precisely the result.

He was the entertainment thread of the day. He reminds me of Sheldon from big bang theory

19332044f0b42b72fc7da7fb9c937085.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    As a mechanical engineer, I find it upsetting the lack of understanding in basic scientific principles on the forums.

From one engineer to another - get over yourself.

Language is an inherently idiomatic medium, and always will be.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Just....

I'll have to remember next time that I am an engineer. So, anything I say can be written off as antisocial, arrogant and abrasive.

You all win.

You're pinning a lot on that engineer business.

I'm an engineer.

You're coming off as arrogant and abrasive. You're arguing something that does not need arguing, as it's already been done before.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I came here thinking this was something about the human body, but it's just a big word problem from math class.
    tumblr_muezyiarVJ1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Just....

You all win.

You're pinning a lot on that engineer business.

I'm an engineer.

You're coming off as arrogant and abrasive. You're arguing something that does not need arguing, as it's already been done before.

So if I understand correctly.. on earth.. @ sea level.. OP's a Troll? Who would've thunk it...:yawn:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how a replying to "muscles weighs more than fat" with "a pound is a pound" is a tell tale sign that they don't understand the concept.

Again, if I am talking to a fellow engineer, I will say things like "titanium is lighter than steel." We both understand what that means because we both have a pretty high level of confidence in each other's understanding.

Look up in the sky. It's a bird? It's a plane? Nope, it's your credibility flying away.
    How so? He's right.

He's right about what? That titanium is lighter than steel? No issue there.

The credibility goes out the window when it is okay to say things like "titanium is lighter than steel", but that's okay cause he is an engineer. Yet, somehow none of the rest of us grasp the fact that "muscle weighs more than fat".