Why even ask for advice??

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST LET ME BE A VICTIM??

Was that a "yes," or a "no?"
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Yes, why do people ask a random bunch of strangers they have never met before advice and then have the gall to not listen to it? I mean, MFP is only filled with random doctors, dieticans and the like all waiting hand and foot on these little snobs. The merit of the advice given to them is worth more than they ever deserve!

Oh wait....

People here, including myself, use MFP as a sounding board because its filled with random people. (I also talk to you guys and licensed professionals.) Usually the advice given includes these wonderful gems:

1. Links to highly read threads- often that you have read.
    2. Accusations of you lying.
    3. Helpful little phrases like 'calories in, calories out'.
    4. Attacks on the OP's characters when the focus is weight loss.

Many threads degenerate in useless stuff anyway.

IMHO, people are here to figure out themselves. We are just tools to help them get there.

----
    FWI The poster is looking for validation and trying to sound like a victim. That makes her the same as the people you are mocking.

Kristen01_zpsiidh3q4l.jpg
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I rank them right up there with the posters who put skinny pics up and say, "Do I look fat ?"
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, why do people ask a random bunch of strangers they have never met before advice and then have the gall to not listen to it? I mean, MFP is only filled with random doctors, dieticans and the like all waiting hand and foot on these little snobs. The merit of the advice given to them is worth more than they ever deserve!

Oh wait....

People here, including myself, use MFP as a sounding board because its filled with random people. (I also talk to you guys and licensed professionals.) Usually the advice given includes these wonderful gems:

IMHO, people are here to figure out themselves. We are just tools to help them get there.

----
    FWI The poster is looking for validation and trying to sound like a victim. That makes her the same as the people you are mocking.

smiles*, i could not agree more.

One thing to add to this is that i have noticed a few of the younger ones will reach out with questions and statements that are often what most of us would call common sense, however many of these youngsters have various eating disorders, emotional and or mental health issues. Please be kind, this could be your sibling, your child, your friend, and if you cannot be kind then maybe say nothing at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Learning happens differently for different folks. And learning happens via repeated exposure.

ETA: and for many folks, the specter of dieting and weight loss causes quite a bit of anxiety.

Just my .02
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Oh wait....

----

Oh! I remember you. You were the one who wanted advice but said if anyone said CICO you'd stalk them down in real life and murder them.

CICO.

CICO CICO CICO.

tumblr_lz84hs0V041qktqch.gif

jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I try to be as kind and gentle as I possibly can, even if it's a repeat, but what crawls under my skin like a festering parasite is when someone dismisses my advice because I'm not a success story yet.

Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I don't know how to get fit correctly, I just haven't gotten there yet. Gimme another 8 months.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmvdkv4gry1rspo8oo1_500.jpg
    awesome!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I love the ones asking about "insert any MLM" and if it works.

But then you find out they are selling it.

Classic.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    internet.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you don't have anything nice to say, why not just scroll on by? We're all here for the same reason. This is supposed to be a supportive place.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you don't have anything nice to say, why not just scroll on by? We're all here for the same reason. This is supposed to be a supportive place.

I don't want a "supportive" place, I want a reality-check place with actual true and useful information.

If I want peppermint-scented unicorn farts, I'll go elsewhere.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

I don't want a "supportive" place, I want a reality-check place with actual true and useful information.

gosling-clapping.gif
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options

peppermint-scented unicorn farts!! :laugh:

and I guess I am talking about a few of my mfp 'friends' who every single day ask the same question (why am I not losing any weight?? i weigh myself 2349078x a day and I gained a pound since last week!) and DOZENS of people comment with great advice/suggestions/motivations/etc and the next day like clockwork the exact same post is made by same person. so what you want different advice/suggestions/motivations? ok *deletes from friends list*
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

peppermint-scented unicorn farts!! :laugh:

and I guess I am talking about a few of my mfp 'friends' who every single day ask the same question (why am I not losing any weight?? i weigh myself 2349078x a day and I gained a pound since last week!) and DOZENS of people comment with great advice/suggestions/motivations/etc and the next day like clockwork the exact same post is made by same person. so what you want different advice/suggestions/motivations? ok *deletes from friends list*

*loosing
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

DYEL?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Are the two mutually exclusive?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Are the two mutually exclusive?

Certainly not
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I would rather have someone tell me the blunt truth instead of coddling me and giving me some bs answer like I'm probably gaining muscle while losing fat. At least that blunt truth comes with a solution, which is a lot more supportive in my opinion.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-926-1401223152-14.gif

yep