Trends of brides wanting to lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Also, is it more common now (than decades ago) to pick out and order your gown months and months in advance? I'm really not sure. I never knew people did that much before having a daughter who watches Say Yes To The Dress.

It seems to be. Last month when my brother's fiancee picked out her wedding dress, the group next to us was looking at bridesmaid dresses for a wedding that wasn't until NEXT October. It weirded my mom out because so much can happen in that time.

I don't know...I'm eternally single, so it probably never would have crossed my mind to lose weight before getting married. I'm just doing it for me. But I also don't want the huge celebration and would rather run off to Vegas.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Also, is it more common now (than decades ago) to pick out and order your gown months and months in advance? I'm really not sure. I never knew people did that much before having a daughter who watches Say Yes To The Dress.

It seems to be. Last month when my brother's fiancee picked out her wedding dress, the group next to us was looking at bridesmaid dresses for a wedding that wasn't until NEXT October. It weirded my mom out because so much can happen in that time.

I don't know...I'm eternally single, so it probably never would have crossed my mind to lose weight before getting married. I'm just doing it for me. But I also don't want the huge celebration and would rather run off to Vegas.

I ran off and got married on the beach in Cuba, and I still don't regret it all these years later. I just bought a $100 white dress I found at the mall, and my husband bought a nice linen shirt and khakis. All the money we didn't spend on our wedding went into our mortgage payments.

Sure I'm a little chubby in my pictures and my dress wasn't expensive, but we had a load of fun taking pictures all over the beach and in the ocean.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I got married 20 years ago and I bought mine months in advance. My reason was because it was "the one" and it was on clearance so it was now or never. It was and still is so ME. And I still love that dress today. :smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Maybe they want to look better for themselves not just for their man??!

I don't see a problem
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Because unfortunately wedding pictures last forever and it's embarrassing to be fat in them. I would know, I don't have any displayed anywhere. For what it's worth, if I still had my wedding dress(es) I would swim in them now.
    I was fat in my wedding pictures. i better get rid of them, I didn't know I was supposed to be ashamed.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you don't take issue with all of the other insanity that comes along with weddings, I can't see taking issue with this.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm an old fogey too, lol. Got married in '91. I didn't diet and my dress was rented, just like my husband's tux was rented. I mean, really...what was I going to do with the dress when I was done with it? I was able to get a much nicer dress at the rental than I would have been able to afford if I'd bought it. I did get my make-up specially done and had a hairdresser to the house to fix that for me, but other than that, I was just me. And, you know what? The pictures look beautiful. All brides look beautiful. In all sizes! It's practically impossible to look bad in a wedding dress, so I can't see the fuss. The glow you carry on that day will overshadow what you're wearing anyway. Repeat after me...all brides are beautiful!

I agree. I also think most young women are beautiful, whatever their size.

By the way, I wasn't jilted -- I've been married for over 30 years! Some of your are probably getting ready to write sympathy cards to the poor slob! I guess my comment is that standards have changed, and that all the fuss around weddings has become even more over-hyped and about the "event." rather than what the event means.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - 30 years ago there were less overweight people
    - those wedding photos last forever
    - it's harder to find pretty dresses in larger sizes (depending on your tastes. i've gone dress shopping with 2 overweight brides to be and they had a doozy of a time finding dresses that had what they were looking for in their size)
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My issue with it isn't them wanting to look their best, that's perfectly understandable.
    It's the fact a lot of these weight loss brides seem to want to end their weight loss efforts immediately on the 'big day'.