Detoxing in September

Options
I have overdone it by quite a margin this summer simply because I have been so busy it is unreal. As a consequence I feel quite ill. So I am thinking that in September when things calm down a bit I should reset myself a bit and detox.

I am thinking of cutting out the following;

Caffeine,
Alcohol,
All processed food,
Bread products,
Cereal and
Cheese.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I can do to help with this and keep my calories at a sensible level? I am hoping that not only will this help to settle my stomach (my intolerances have been bashed a bit of late) but it will also help me to get back into the good habits that I had before I got so busy, though I will still be super busy.

Many thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Caffeine,
    Alcohol,
    All processed food,
    Bread products,
    Cereal and
    Cheese.

so many yummy things...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I got nothing other than well wishes for OP. I couldn't cut out that much of the food I like.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Just don't over so it then.........problem solved and you get to eat foods you like.....crazy idea I know.:smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have overdone it by quite a margin this summer simply because I have been so busy it is unreal. As a consequence I feel quite ill. So I am thinking that in September when things calm down a bit I should reset myself a bit and detox.

Caffeine,
    Alcohol,
    All processed food,
    Bread products,
    Cereal and
    Cheese.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I can do to help with this and keep my calories at a sensible level? I am hoping that not only will this help to settle my stomach (my intolerances have been bashed a bit of late) but it will also help me to get back into the good habits that I had before I got so busy, though I will still be super busy.

Many thanks!!
    That just sounds grim? So you'll get headaches maybe even migraines from caffeine withdrawl and cravings from all the foods you needlessly cut out. Hmmm Have fun
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Might a swell start preparing for a "stop binge eating on October"!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Caffeine,
    Alcohol,
    All processed food,
    Bread products,
    Cereal and
    Cheese.

This makes me :sad:
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at what you are eating by logging now. Then cut down on all these things. If you cut it all out at once you may feel deprived of the things you like.
    For me, small steps are better.
    I wish you luck.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.

By the way, detoxes/cleanses have zero proven benefits. You're basically just cutting out those foods for no real reason, and probably going to make yourself miserable. You may even find yourself binging shortly thereafter.

IMO, just eat at a moderate deficit, get some exercise. You'll probably feel alot better once you do that, probably within a couple days.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    So you've been overeating then? How about not doing that?
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym just recently all did a detox together, three days on protein shakes and vitamins.
    They used raw protein brand, though healthy and nutritious, tastes like kitty litter.
    To do detox right you should really consult a nutritionist or even a wellness minded doctor.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    None of the things on your list are toxins at normal consumption levels.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.

By the way, detoxes/cleanses have zero proven benefits. You're basically just cutting out those foods for no real reason, and probably going to make yourself miserable. You may even find yourself binging shortly thereafter.

IMO, just eat at a moderate deficit, get some exercise. You'll probably feel alot better once you do that, probably within a couple days.

This.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym just recently all did a detox together, three days on protein shakes and vitamins.
    They used raw protein brand, though healthy and nutritious, tastes like kitty litter.
    To do detox right you should really consult a nutritionist or even a wellness minded doctor.

Uhh ehh uh ah ah
    Ting tang walla walla bing bang
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Awesome suggestion.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.

Another vote for this.

ETA: I'd also suggest logging your food / calories on the handy logging feature on this site. If you need assistance on getting started on how to eat a a deficit, there are lots of how-to threads on here.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Uhh ehh uh ah ah
    Ting tang walla walla bing bang

I second the motion you good sir!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the OP has been indulging in food items that there is an intolerance or sensitivity to. I think it's a wise move to remove all irritant foods from the regular diet, and then slowly add them back in to determine what truly causes the problems. The goal is essentially to eat clean, and there are some groups here on MFP that are focused on clean eating that may be helpful.

As far as the actual question, accurately logging will keep you informed as to macros as well as overall calories. Perhaps pre-log your day's food, plugging in protein first in each meal and snack, then adding in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and other items.

I do like the idea of weaning off caffeine now, to reduce headaches when you truly start.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the OP has been indulging in food items that there is an intolerance or sensitivity to. I think it's a wise move to remove all irritant foods from the regular diet, and then slowly add them back in to determine what truly causes the problems. The goal is essentially to eat clean, and there are some groups here on MFP that are focused on clean eating that may be helpful.

As far as the actual question, accurately logging will keep you informed as to macros as well as overall calories. Perhaps pre-log your day's food, plugging in protein first in each meal and snack, then adding in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and other items.

I do like the idea of weaning off caffeine now, to reduce headaches when you truly start.
    OP listed no specific food intolerances or sensitivities; obviously, if one's system does not handle a particular food well, eliminating that food is wise. That's not a typical use of 'detox,' but whatever.

The OP made no specific commentary about 'eating clean,' which is probably due - at least in part - to the fact that it's so fiendishly difficult to come up with a universal definition of what 'eating clean' actually means.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Chuckles