Potato chip substitute

Options
Potato chips are my weakness!! I always think I can just eat a few but I can't! It is always the thing that breaks me. I don't have a lot of money so eating sandwiches at work is the cheapest lunch I can do and not blow the diet. I wish I could make all kinds of healthy lunches but it is just not practical. I am also not a fan of salad for a meal. It doesn't really cut it for me. Salad as a side with dinner maybe but not the whole meal. Anyone have any suggestions for what I could eat instead of chips along side a sandwich?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    what about baked chips, we eat them and they are about 120 cals per serving.
  • kmart20
    Options
    I eat POP Chips which are better for you than potato chips, if you want chips.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating baked chips? They are healtier than the regular verision. I also love pop chips, they come in a variety of flavors. Aside from chips, crunchy veggies sometimes do the trick, like carrot or celery sticks.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    what about baked chips, we eat them and they are about 120 cals per serving.

I love potato chips and I agree with this. On occasion I do eat baked lays. They aren't as bad..and to be honest I don't really restrict anything from my diet. 99% of the time I choose the healthiest foods available (fresh, un processed foods) but if I want something and there's room calorie wise, I eat it.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Try Kale Chips!
    Kale is a green, leafy vegatable.... you can look up some recipes online. But, basically, you cut up the kale, use a little olive oil spray to coat and bake for 15 min or so. You can sprinkle lightly with sea salt or any seasonings that you like. It's like a super thin, crispy potato chip! No joke!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This won't help as far as sodium if you're watching that (I don't, so it works for me), but I get pickle slices! The Claussen refrigerated brand are really crunchy and they definitely satisfy the salt cravings.

I know that some are trying to be even healthier than this and that's awesome, but I'm on a really strict budget too and honestly, I just do better dieting if I can find substitutes for my bad food cravings and not give them up entirely. :)
  • lisanxd
    Options
    Trader Joe's banana chips are also really great and low in calories
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Unsalted pretzels...I'm not a big chip fan, but unsalted pretzels are nice and crunchy!
  • doramouse
    Options
    Rice crackers. I can only eat a few at a time and they are crunchy, crackly and really good!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    do a google search for Kale Chips. They're not as good as potato chips but they aren't bad. Just go easy on the salt. They have the added bonus of being super high in Vitamin C and have some calcium in them.

Go for the curly green kale if you do make them.. I found the black kale didn't work as well.

I personally also like to each raw cabbage as a chip replacement. It's cheaper than the kale and more easily available.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I eat POP Chips which are better for you than potato chips, if you want chips.

I second this!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    unsalted peanuts, olives, carrot sticks, These are good fats, remeber - anything that comes in a pretty box is probably bad for you in some way. even wheat .... Read the junk thats in a "healthy" Wheat Thin - BAD.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I also like triscuits..the kind I buy have 3 ingredients.. some other varieties have many more though. I buy reduced fat.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I too love PopChips or the Trader Joes version (Popped Chips) if you have one nearby. I say this - but I can just eat a few (usually half serving with a sandwich). Mini bag of popcorn (Orville Reddenbacher Smart Pop 100 cal bags) may work for ya too :-)

I do not like the Baked chips :-(
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a chip fan too. Last night I was kinda hungry so I made chips from tortillas. Sliced them in triangles, sprayed with some Pam, added Kosher salt, peper, garlic, etc. Baked in oven, then ate w/ some salsa. Very yummy, cheap and low fat snack. It is high in sodium, but... I may post that recipe later b/c I'd like to keep track of it. Have tried a few and this may have been my favorite. I don't konw that they would keep well to eat the next day or whatever. But a nice alternative if you're a night-time chip person like me. :smile:
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    have you tried rice crackers (not rice cakes)? they are salty and satisfy the craving but waay healthier than chips
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a chip-o-holic too. I usually get the baked potato chips or cheddar cheese rice cakes help. Sometimes I'll do the baked tostito chips with laughing cow cheese and salsa as an option too.
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    I'm definitely a chip fan too. Last night I was kinda hungry so I made chips from tortillas. Sliced them in triangles, sprayed with some Pam, added Kosher salt, peper, garlic, etc. Baked in oven, then ate w/ some salsa. Very yummy, cheap and low fat snack. It is high in sodium, but... I may post that recipe later b/c I'd like to keep track of it. Have tried a few and this may have been my favorite. I don't konw that they would keep well to eat the next day or whatever. But a nice alternative if you're a night-time chip person like me. :smile:

sounds delicious!! thanks
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    pretzels and pop corn.

or I'm a big fan of apple slices. the ones already cut up for you in a bag.
    only 40 calories, and its a fruit serving.

I usually have a sandwich, jello ( only 10 cal) and apple slices (only 40 cal)
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    Also to go with a sandwich you could bring, a hardboiled egg, an apple, a pear, veggies..