Potato chip substitute

Options

Replies

• IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I like the veggie stix - there's a brand at Costco (cant remember) that are yummy and Snyders has an EatSmart brand that are pretty good. You can eat a lot (1 serving is 2 cups - which is way too huge to eat) and they taste pretty good.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    rice crisps or popcorn
  • Sunbeam224
    Sunbeam224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I missed my chips to so I recently got a bag of Blue Ginger Multi-Grain Brown Rice Chips Black Sesame & Sea Salt flavor. You can have 33 chips for 110 calories and 3 grams of fat.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I loooove chips. I can't keep them in the house or I'll go to town on them. Have you tried baked pita chips? EatingRight sells some that are very good, or you can make them yourself by cutting pitas up into triangles and toasting them. You could probably do a bunch at a time then bag em and take them to work. Also, popcorn - air popped if you want to be extra good, or those single-serving microwave bags.
    Good luck! :)
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat POP Chips which are better for you than potato chips, if you want chips.

Love Pop Chips and also try Rice Works or just Pretzels!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Michael Pollan ("Food Rules") suggests: Eat all the junk food you want, only make it yourself.

So make your own healthy chips using olive oil, little salt, and real potatoes. Package into small bags or containers and allow one a day. Make another batch over the weekend.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Pretzels for me
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You can still have chips. Get some kale, season it, throw it in the oven. You get the crispy, flavored crunch of a chip. Also, I really like lays baked potato chips. I know they are still super processed, but I also think they're an improvement over the regular ones.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Stacey's pita chips -- they are thicker and I find they fill me up more than regular chips. I usually dip them with hummus. I think a serving is 190 calories.

Other options could be popcorn, veggies and dip, grapes, apples with peanut butter, or crackers with hummus. Just be careful with the sodium and the serving size/calories.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Exactly what you mentioned.. salad and veggies on the side. :)

Have your sandwhich and have some salad or veggies on the side.. .or better yet, have a half a sandwhich and eat a crap load of veggies :)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Anything off this website. http://www.sensibleportions.com/#/content_products_pitabites
    I love the apple straws.
  • 2psnapod1
    Options
    I HAVE to have something to 'crunch' with a sandwich so I've been having Quaker mini rice cakes (caramel, vanilla creme brulee & apple cinnamon are our favorites). If I really feel the need I'll have Cape Cod Kettle cooked chips...quite a few less calories & fat than the regular with lots more crunch! My husband and I will split an individual bag and that helps too.
  • skylersnanna
    Options
    I eat POP Chips which are better for you than potato chips, if you want chips.

oooooh I love popchips, they are my new cheat snack :bigsmile:
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda,

I have to tell you that if I eat a sandwich, it is A MUST that I have potato chips. I have switched to the baked chips and that makes it a little better, but I do still, sometimes, have regular ones. The key is to have JUST the serving size and you should be able to fit it into your food diary.

But, I just received several new cookbooks from Devin Alexander, love her, and she has a "quick crunchy potato chip" recipe, in one of the books, that I was actually going to try today. Here is the recipe, and info, for you and maybe this could help. A heck of a lot cheaper than a bag of potato chips, too!

QUICK CRUNCHY POTATO CHIPS

1 medium baking potato, scrubbed clean
    1/2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
    Sea Salt to taste
    Olive Oil spray, (pam spray)

Slice the potato into very thin (about 1/16 inch thick) rounds. Place them in a large resealable plastic bag and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over them. Seal the bag and toss to evenly coat the potatoes. Season them with salt and toss again. (This is where I will vary the recipe, myself. I may do a small amount of salt and add any variety of Mrs Dash. She is sodium free and has so many flavors and you can design it around what flavor of chip you feel like having.)

Cover a large microwave safe dinner plate with parchment paper. Lightly mist the paper with spray. Working in batches, if necessary, place the potato slices on the parchment in a single layer. Microwave the potatoes on high for 5-7 minutes, or until the chips are completely crisp, (be careful not to burn them.) Allow them to cool for about 2 minutes, serve immediately.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    Each serving, about half the chips

calories = 88
    protien = 2
    carbs = 17
    fat = 1
    fiber = 2
    sodium = 6 (if you omit the sea salt and use only Mrs Dash, none)
  • lsiberian
    Options
    Just get the small bags and you should be alright. Tuna on wheat with a small bag of potato chips is fine as long as you are working out and hitting your macros.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hello great post and suggestions here!I love pita chips,pretzels,hummus,rice crisps,lundberg vegan rice cakes,carrots,apples,popcorn,sunchips.I know salads can sound boring but I add almonds,crunchy rice noodles,mandarin oranges,veg chicken like Quorn/or Morningstar(available at any grocery store),cucumbers,sesame dressing,spinach and it's much better tasting and filling.
  • traceysturn
    Options
    Where do I find these rice CRISPS? In the chip isle or w/the rice cakes?
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally sold on the taste/texture of POPChips, but they're better than nothing.

I do however, have a love affair going on with Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Chips AND with Trader Joe's Vegetable Root (or is it Root Vegetable) Chips. YUMMY!!!!!
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pita chips?

The baked version of regular chips?

Also, I think they have brands of vegetable chips, I've never tried them though.

Popcorn? (the non-butter, healthiest kind)

Or, you can just portion out your regular chips into small ziplock baggies and take it with you so you aren't non-stop eating a whole bunch
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The veggie straws from Sam's are great. They are 130 calories for 38 straws.They are cruchy like chips and are all natural. I love these things!!