What the Hell does "Snogging" mean?

Options

Replies

• jonny310580
    jonny310580 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In the UK, fanny is slang for vagina. Be wary!!

I was waiting on someone saying that!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?
    I am American, so I am the "we" in this situation.

I actually don't know the answer to that. Slacks, maybe? Or possibly by the style. I'm sure a kind Brit will come along to help us!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I joke with my British friends that I need the Rosetta Stone for English in order to understand what they're saying.:laugh:
    If you just watch a ton of British TV you'll get it down. Context helps a lot!

Agreed. Same with reading a bit of British (contemporary) fiction.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options

And where you're from, every c**t uses the c word with reckless abandon! :D
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?

Generic 'pants' as you would call them, Brits call trousers.

These can of course be categorised into jeans, slacks, chinos, etc. etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones is making me quite fond of that word.
  • jonny310580
    Options

Not everyone and I personally don't like or use the word c**t as it can be offensive
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

I actually don't know the answer to that. Slacks, maybe? Or possibly by the style. I'm sure a kind Brit will come along to help us!

We tend to refer to them by the style: jeans, trousers, combats, shorts etc.

But there are also slang terms such as strides, keks etc.
    And half-masts....an insult to a wearer of trousers of which the leg is too short.
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

the answer to that would be Trousers, or shorts, so yeah effectively the type/style of said items
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options

Not everyone and I personally don't like or use the word c**t as it can be offensive

More of a hardcore Glasgow thing, isn't it?
  • siport
    Options
    and oh my god, its like the good old british bus, you wait all day for one to come along then 4 all at once turn up
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Had to do a double take when an english colleague was visiting the US office and asked me where he could go suck a *kitten*.

I think you brits do that one to us americans just for the comedic value, though.
  • jonny310580
    Options
    Yeah I would say so. they use the word without even realising and am sure it's even in the Glasgow dictionary
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    and oh my god, its like the good old british bus, you wait all day for one to come along then 4 all at once turn up

It's 3.22 pm on a Friday - there's a lot of us here, mostly at desks waiting until we can go home.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Had to do a double take when an english colleague was visiting the US office and asked me where he could go suck a *kitten*.

I think you brits do that one to us americans just for the comedic value, though.

:laugh:
  • fitqveen
    fitqveen Posts: 62
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

I find that when I lived in england pants were trousers and living in scotland pants are underwear
  • KarenJanine
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

I find that when I lived in england pants were trousers and living in scotland pants are underwear

Not where I am in England - pants are underwear :smile: It seems to vary by region.

It always amuses me that Australians call flip-flops 'thongs', as thongs are a specific type of underwear to Brits. No idea what the American position is on this.
  • siport
    Options

It's 3.22 pm on a Friday - there's a lot of us here, mostly at desks waiting until we can go home.
    i know im sitting here looking out the window and its sunny here in london now and i just want to leave lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    And then there's sex, which is called "shagging".
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Couple more:

on the p*ss / on the lash: going out to get exceedingly drunk
    knackered: rather tired
    miffed: a tad annoyed
    fit: sexually attractive often used in the sentence "fit as a butcher's dog..."