What the Hell does "Snogging" mean?

Options

Replies

• WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am talking about speech... You know exactly what I mean, but yet your desire to get a rise out of me?

I don't know what you mean, fella. You (gently) criticised Americans for lazy use of the language and then do exactly the same yourself but somehow that's different? And what, you're allowed to type loosely but not allowed to speak that way? No, I don't get it, to be honest with you.

The initial view you posted, which I would paraphrase as being along the lines of "it's our language and you lot use it lazily" is something that dwi i ddim yn deall!

Ok, so for me to quickly get a point across, something that was not aimed at anyone - has somehow influenced you to reply like this and become all grammar police.

Does it matter? does it make you feel important?

I was making a quirky and quick comment/joke/opinion/fact out of a conversation.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    N.W England here and I say pants for trousers, underwear is underwear
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am talking about speech... You know exactly what I mean, but yet your desire to get a rise out of me?

I don't know what you mean, fella. You (gently) criticised Americans for lazy use of the language and then do exactly the same yourself but somehow that's different? And what, you're allowed to type loosely but not allowed to speak that way? No, I don't get it, to be honest with you.

The initial view you posted, which I would paraphrase as being along the lines of "it's our language and you lot use it lazily" is something that dwi i ddim yn deall!

Ok, so for me to quickly get a point across, something that was not aimed at anyone - has somehow influenced you to reply like this and become all grammar police.

I was making a quirky and quick comment/joke/opinion/fact out of a conversation.

bfE2dkR.gif
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Womens underwear.

So pants are men's underwear and knickers are women's underwear?

Pants can be men's or women's underwear, but knickers tend just to be women's.
    Currently NW England, where pants are trousers, knickers are women's undergarments and undercrackers are men's.
    Originally from Norn Iron, where pants are knickers, trousers are trousers, and bottoms are undercrackers. :ohwell:
  • kb9222
    kb9222 Posts: 42
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?

We Just call them trousers. If the person is wearing jeans then we call them jeans. It's pretty funny for us when Americans refer to trousers as pants haha

Well, what the heck are knickers then?
    lol knickers are underwear
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Womens underwear.

So pants are men's underwear and knickers are women's underwear?

Pants can be men's or women's underwear, but knickers tend just to be women's.

Where I'm from, men's underwear is called Bills.

Bill Grundies = undies.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Couple more:

on the p*ss / on the lash: going out to get exceedingly drunk
    knackered: rather tired
    miffed: a tad annoyed
    fit: sexually attractive often used in the sentence "fit as a butcher's dog..."

I grew up saying these things and I'm from a Midwest, US state and my parents are Italian haha. I think I'm going to pretend I have an english accent when I have children so they grow up with one haha! :bigsmile:
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

bfE2dkR.gif

This is my favorite! :laugh:
  • luthergravy
    Options

Aye, it does actually. It gives me a semi, in fact.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

Aye, it does actually. It gives me a semi, in fact.
    only a semi? im flying at full mast watching you two go back and forth
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    ....so pudding!

Pudding seems to refer to dessert typically in british fiction, movies and television being inclusive of not just a milk-based chocolate or tapioca pudding, but all desserts.

In the states, pudding is just ....pudding.

And to 'queue up' means to get in line, such as when you're at the bank teller.

...oh and flip flops/thongs growing up in Southern California were referred to as chanclas.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Do not use the word "fanny" in Britain. This is a vulgar word for a woman's hoo-ha. But "Fanny " in the USA can be a woman's first name and stated openly on TV.

And my favorite: If you have "gone rusty" over something, you have become hopelessly and romantically nostalgic over it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do not use the word "fanny" in Britain. This is a vulgar word for a woman's hoo-ha. But "Fanny " in the USA can be a woman's first name and stated openly on TV.

And my favorite: If you have "gone rusty" over something, you have become hopelessly and romantically nostalgic over it.
    Y'all say every swear word imaginable on TV! You can't say "fanny"??? We watch Britcoms here every Saturday night and some of them are beeped out for half the freaking show. lol

Joannah -- Also, in the UK, they call what we call Jell-o, "jelly."
  • luthergravy
    Options
    And of course what you Americans call a bicycle, over here we call a spazzwanker.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And of course what you Americans call a bicycle, over here we call a spazzwanker.
    WHY??

I mean, "bicycle" makes sense -- two wheels.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i've heard americans are even referring to a rooty tooty point and shooty as a gun nowadays
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?
    I am American, so I am the "we" in this situation.

I actually don't know the answer to that. Slacks, maybe? Or possibly by the style. I'm sure a kind Brit will come along to help us!

Trousers, jeans...
  • thisistimgreen
    Options
    I would call them "trousers".