The Stages of the MFP Woman

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
I've been on MFP for 18 months and have learned quite a bit. Both personally and by seeing others evolve. In the spirit of fun, I have been toying with the idea of the stages of development that women go through on this site. I wanted to put this out there and see what others think.

Note: I usually avoid stereotyping by gender, but women and men seem to have very different relationships with their bodies, with fitness and with nutrition.

Stage 1: Getting in control - She has tried everything and now she's trying MFP. She's confused about why so many people have half naked pictures as their profile. She tries to lose as fast as possible so she can meet her goals and get back to her life. "If I can just stop GAINING, that will be a win"

Stage 2: The easy stage - She's found her groove, the weight is coming off and she's more active. She has substituted almond milk for milk, turkey bacon for bacon and tea for coffee. She tries to eat fruit to satisfy cravings for sweet. THIS IS WORKING!!!

Stage 3: Working it in - She has learned how to satiate herself on her calorie goal and can fit some "treats" in. She cruises pintrest for 30 day challenges while eating oreos. "I'm thinking of adding strength but don't want to bulk up. Please help me."

Stage 4: Go big or go home - our heroine discovers the joys of lifting and ups her protein. She starts focusing on macros rather than calories and cruises the forums for information. "Treats" just become another source of macros: there are no guilty pleasures anymore. She gets called a bully for the first time. She posts a progress pic...in a bikini.

Stage 5: Is that me? - She starts seeing some real changes off the scale. She dresses like WonderWoman for an event or holiday, or incorporates a SuperGirl scheme into office attire. She still panics when she sees the scale move up though. She's eating ice cream nightly and argues with people on the forums about cutting out foods they like. Somebody attributes her success to luck or genes.

Stage 6: Wow - She considers a contest in her fitness area. Her nutritional perspective becomes more balanced and she's seen as a source of inspiration on the forums. Scale weight gets left behind as she develops specific aesthetic and performance goals based on her personal body type and interests. She might develop a regular bulk/cut cycle.

Stage 7: ???

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    bhNML.gif&size=400x1000
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love it!

For me it was:

Stage 1: I workout pretty hard pretty regularly and eat mostly healthy; why am I not thinner??? A lot of trainers at the gym log all their food. They get amazing results, so I'll give it a try.

Stage 2: Trying to eat just the 1200 calories that mfp put me at. Wow. I pretty much have no calories left after 6p. This is hard, and yet it's working so well! I'm losing weight every week.

Stage 3: This is great! I'm losing weight, but 1200 is hard, so going to up my calories to 1300. Cool, this is a little easier, and I'm still losing weight. People keep telling me I've lost weight and asking what I've been doing.

Stage 4: Basically Stage 3 until I get up to a goal of 1500 calories. I can do this. No problem. I got this.

Stage 5: Hmmm, I'm no longer losing weight, but this is probably a good maintenance weight for me. Lots of people tell me, "Hey, don't lose any more weight.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Love it!

For me it was:

Stage 1: I workout pretty hard pretty regularly and eat mostly healthy; why am I not thinner??? A lot of trainers at the gym log all their food. They get amazing results, so I'll give it a try.

Stage 2: Trying to eat just the 1200 calories that mfp put me at. Wow. I pretty much have no calories left after 6p. This is hard, and yet it's working so well! I'm losing weight every week.

Stage 3: This is great! I'm losing weight, but 1200 is hard, so going to up my calories to 1300. Cool, this is a little easier, and I'm still losing weight. People keep telling me I've lost weight and asking what I've been doing.

Stage 4: Basically Stage 3 until I get up to a goal of 1500 calories. I can do this. No problem. I got this.

Stage 5: Hmmm, I'm no longer losing weight, but this is probably a good maintenance weight for me. Lots of people tell me, "Hey, don't lose any more weight.

That's great! Everybody has their own journey :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yup that's it...cept the ice cream part...I Prefer my milk chocolate...
  • annpatalexa
    annpatalexa Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Stage 5: she dresses like WonderWoman for an event or holiday, or incorporates a SuperGirl scheme into office attire.

OMG that is so me.... I have a costume on its way for a 5K where I'm dressed like Wonderwoman. The cape makes you go faster! I may or may not own a pair of clearance supergirl panties...

But spot on with a lot of these things. I'm not sure whats step 7. I'm not sure I'll ever do a bikini pic.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-29853-1342448415-15.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21879-1342448305-3.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pretty much! Part of step one is eating 1200 calories and doing lots of cardio.
  • AdiabaticPerformance
    AdiabaticPerformance Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Yup, checked your pics (admitted to creeping, but hey, we all do it sometimes), you seriously are a superhero
  • likitisplit
    Options

Stage 5: she dresses like WonderWoman for an event or holiday, or incorporates a SuperGirl scheme into office attire.

OMG that is so me.... I have a costume on its way for a 5K where I'm dressed like Wonderwoman. The cape makes you go faster! I may or may not own a pair of clearance supergirl panties...

But spot on with a lot of these things. I'm not sure whats step 7. I'm not sure I'll ever do a bikini pic.

I'm going as Wonder Woman for Halloween. High five!
  • rachelliptic
    rachelliptic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love this!!!
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    OMG Seriously though!?!?!?!
    Glad it's not only me :laugh: :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've made it to stage 4, but regressed to stage 3.

Is it because I don't use Pinterest? :embarassed:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Yep did this and most of what the OP said!!

I would say a 6 to almost a 7.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yep.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've made it to stage 4, but regressed to stage 3.

Is it because I don't use Pinterest? :embarassed:

Progress isn't linear :bigsmile:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm going with somewhere between stages 4 and 5 for me :laugh: . I did just order a new bikini :bigsmile: .
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Step 7 - Obstacle Race Glory.

Not all of us can be as cool as you. :sad:
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 18 months and have learned quite a bit. Both personally and by seeing others evolve. In the spirit of fun, I have been toying with the idea of the stages of development that women go through on this site. I wanted to put this out there and see what others think.

Note: I usually avoid stereotyping by gender, but women and men seem to have very different relationships with their bodies, with fitness and with nutrition.

Stage 1: Getting in control - She has tried everything and now she's trying MFP. She's confused about why so many people have half naked pictures as their profile. She tries to lose as fast as possible so she can meet her goals and get back to her life. "If I can just stop GAINING, that will be a win"

Stage 2: The easy stage - She's found her groove, the weight is coming off and she's more active. She has substituted almond milk for milk, turkey bacon for bacon and tea for coffee. She tries to eat fruit to satisfy cravings for sweet. THIS IS WORKING!!!

Stage 3: Working it in - She has learned how to satiate herself on her calorie goal and can fit some "treats" in. She cruises pintrest for 30 day challenges while eating oreos. "I'm thinking of adding strength but don't want to bulk up. Please help me."

Stage 4: Go big or go home - our heroine discovers the joys of lifting and ups her protein. She starts focusing on macros rather than calories and cruises the forums for information. "Treats" just become another source of macros: there are no guilty pleasures anymore. She gets called a bully for the first time. She posts a progress pic...in a bikini.

Stage 5: Is that me? - She starts seeing some real changes off the scale. She dresses like WonderWoman for an event or holiday, or incorporates a SuperGirl scheme into office attire. She still panics when she sees the scale move up though. She's eating ice cream nightly and argues with people on the forums about cutting out foods they like. Somebody attributes her success to luck or genes.

Stage 6: Wow - She considers a contest in her fitness area. Her nutritional perspective becomes more balanced and she's seen as a source of inspiration on the forums. Scale weight gets left behind as she develops specific aesthetic and performance goals based on her personal body type and interests. She might develop a regular bulk/cut cycle.

Stage 7: ???

I'm stuck on step 3 and coincidentally thinking about doing weights. haha
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Yep.

this was me last summer :)
    Step 7 - Obstacle Race Glory.

We'll see in October if I made it successfully to step 7 :)