Do you become lazy when you are on period?

Options

Replies

• nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I was basically inactive :sad: i used to say "oh period eat more who cares:explode: " Then I started to become more active and I would ask other women and everyone said it all depends on how ill they feel and most do not use it as an excuse. Now that I am more active I only become lazy if I am truly sick, too heavy flow or exhausted due also to anemia which is now more under control:smile: !
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not everyone experiences the same level of physical/mental distress during their cycle. Some women get it so bad it qualifies as PMDD. It's not an excuse if your body really can't perform at the same level as usual. I used to work at a paint store, and I stocked 40-lb. boxes of paint all day. They were literally harder to lift those days -- I could tell a distinct difference.

So it's not lazy if you are truly feeling ill. Nor is it a reason to completely fall off the wagon and say anything goes. But you do sometimes have to cut yourself some slack.

And I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but Vitamin B-6 and magnesium supplements made a tremendous difference for me in the mood swing department.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Extremely.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Day 1 yes.... but then im all good, and its not LAZY, its just lack of ambition because I just want to die!
    My biggest problem is the week before when I get mad TOM carb munchies, I cant control it, it is terrible, I eat so much I put on like 2-3kg in a week (5-7lb) and then within the week of my period it all just melts off but the worst part is how the carb munchies make me feel... especially because I eat plenty of carbs in my every day diet!!!

Yeah this for me too. The first day I avoid everything. ARGH its horrible. The week before I'm definitely hungry and carbs are usually the choice. :( I do get lethargic some because I'm mildly anemic as it is. I take iron(slo Fe) for that week.

Had to bust out laughing at the men replying. Some new biology letting men menstruate?
  • Infamous624
    Infamous624 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy all the time, but when I'm on my cycle I get really bad cramps and I find that exercising really helps them. It hard at times to pull myself together but I feel better when I do. But even though I exercise I eat everything all day for the 5 days! Especially chocolate!
  • kb9222
    kb9222 Posts: 42
    Options
    A pretty accurate description of me on my period.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30486-1342447807-4.gif
    haha This!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't use my period as an excuse. It's just a normal day for me and I carry on as usual.

article-0-0F1468C100000578-288_468x313.jpg

^LMAO!!
  • mstran137
    Options
    I'm so lazy today, no exercise, just lying all day. How can I stop being lazy?????
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have PMDD =p I take the first day of my cycle off and rest because of the high levels of pain, but 24 hours later, all my bloat is gone and I'm back in the gym unless my flow has me feeling uncomfortable due to its being really heavy. My pain is bad enough that I was in labor with my first son and didn't know I was having contractions because they felt the same as my period pain >.<

I don't usually use pain relievers because they have never helped. I used to take Tylenol PM and sleep through it, but with 2 kids, that's not so possible anymore. Now, I just curl up on the couch and watch Disney movies with my kids all day.

I do Cycle Training to help take advantage of my hormonal changes in my workouts. I have previously had a LOT of success with it. Since my kids were born, I've lacked motivation to really do it until now.
    http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/menstrual-cycle-workout?s=1
    http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/features/other/cycle-training
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    it makes more tired around this time. so I try my best to watch what I eat, keep hydrated and go to bed earlier than usual. As far as lazy well yes it does, but who has time for that. I am on a mission and must fight the power. You just got to make yourself do your exericses even when you don't feel like it. To me, that is what the definition of dedication is.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I'm so lazy today, no exercise, just lying all day. How can I stop being lazy?????

say the nike quote to yourself "Just Do It" and get up and go for a walk even if you don't feel like it. I promise you that five minutes into it, you will be thanking yourself and feeling good. Hey it helps relieve my cramps and symptoms so there is always that to look forward to as well.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. But only for a day or two, max, so I use them as rest/cheat days :)
  • DreamBigEatLarge
    DreamBigEatLarge Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The choice is usually taken out of my hands :( I usually feel like every ounce of iron has been seeped out of my body (which isn't helped by being almost anemic) and am usually experiencing a bit of discomfort for a couple of days....my motivation is there, it just doesn't happen however :(
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Words have power. If you call yourself lazy, you will be. If you call yourself an unstoppable badass, you'll be that instead. It's a choice.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help reduce cramps if that is the problem, which it is for me, so I try to work out if possible. Sometimes I'll take a pain pill to just get through my workout though. The key thing is not to be lazy, but recognize when you may need an extra rest day, because that's ok.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to be too busy stuffing my face during TOM to even notice whether or not I was any more lazy than normal. It always made me insatiably hungry with strong cravings. I swear let loose I could have scoffed my way through an entire cadbury's factory.

I then discovered that us gals need more magnesium at that special time, and magnesium is one of the things I seem to struggle to absorb effectively with my IBD. I double my Mg dose 5 days before due day and whilst bleeding and I'm now fine. I can eat normally, no cravings, no ridiculous hunger, which means I can function normally too.
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't become lazy but I definitely slow down during the week of my cycle.
    Lifting feels more daunting during this time so I tend to scale back to how I'm feeling.
    Overall I still try to workout daily as it helps with the cramps and overall meh feeling.
  • sophysings
    sophysings Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't really get lazy - like a lot of other people I actually find the exercise helps - but I do get dreadful cravings the week before and usually end up going over cal target - although it's by relatively small amounts most days, with extra little treats, they do add up! So I guess it has the same effect!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Not lazy. Just in pain, and literally HEAVIER.

this about sums it up. I still work out though makes me feel better
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just dose up on brufen and paracetamol and carry on, albeit feeling like carp.
    I have the same attitude with any illness, it's rare I allow anything to stop me doing stuff, and when it does I usually have to sleep it off.