Late night hunger. How do you deal with it?

Options
13»

Replies

• skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love sleeping hungry, but i usually just drink water if my stomach starts growling.
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try to save up for the evenings pretty much every day. That way I know that if i want to snack a little, I can without going over my daily goal. I can't drink that much water late at night, because I despise waking up at night having to pee.

My goto snack at night is usually cottage cheese with some fruit or avodcado. It fills you up quite nicely, doesnt give you a sugar rush and is low in cal!

Frozen strawberries are also great if you\ve pretty much reached your limit, they take forever to eat and are really low in cal.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is an issue of mine as well. I find that if I save 200 calories for my bedtime snack I can fit in a bag of popcorn and a fiber one brownie, hitting my salty and sweet snack craving and also filling me up. It also take a while to finish the popcorn so I am snacking throughout my show. Good luck!

Edited to say that I know this probably isn't the most healthy choice but it's working for me and 100% doable!

Hello...are you me? I just finished my popcorn (100 cal pack) and my fiber one choc. :laugh: I pre-log these things. I don't always eat them, in which case I can take them off the diary.

This was my go to snack for the longest, but then I started backing away from popcorn bc the sodium was making me hold onto water weight.
  • zucchini103
    Options
    if I feel I really need something sweet i sometimes have plain lowfat yogurt mixed with sifted cocoa and 0 calorie sweetener, you need enough cocoa to make it look chocolaty or it tastes weird
  • dzstephy
    dzstephy Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A slice of lean turkey meat or nuts usually calm my hunger
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've never shaken the habit of late-night snacking, and probably never will. So I work around it.

I eat less in the day -- your body doesn't really care WHEN it takes in calories, only HOW MANY. If I net 1,200 calories a day, I lose -- and it doesn't matter if I skip breakfast, then have a late-night sandwich.

At night, I eat low-calorie munchies, like rice crackers at 35 calories a piece, cucumber slices with a little dip, unbuttered popcorn, fruit or yogurt.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just drink a nice cup of decaf tea and enjoy the thought that tomorrow I may be down a little on the scale because of it.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I find that the later I eat dinner, the fewer snacks I want while enjoying TV time. I used to eat dinner by 6:30pm at the latest and now I find that eating closer to 7:30 or 8pm is a good way to keep those cravings away... and supplement lingering cravings with grapes, fat free froyo, or similar.
  • weemam
    weemam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use frozen grapes to . makes you feel as if you are cheating and really nice .As long as we log them in our diary xx
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually "budget" my calories to allow some for later on in the day, and make sure that I drink plenty of water/tea. My late night vice is either wine or chocolate (so I guess I really have a sweet tooth). I'll leave about 150 calories for the end of the day, which is about 3 of my little chocolate squares or a glass of wine :-)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.

If you sleep hungry how do you wake up? Even hungrier. Stomach eating away at something for energy.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I got some of this bread from "healthy life" that is 35 calories a slice.
    Two pieces of toast with cinnamon at 75ish calories total is enough to keep my mind feeling full without guilt :)

Drink a lot of water too! Or just go to bed~
  • weemam
    weemam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    some cooked frozen rhubarb sweetened with sugar free jelly chrystals works too xx
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Love! a few frozen grapes, too. If nothing else, I just get some extra sleep and go to bed.
  • smokeyser
    Options
    A chocolate protein shake made with skim milk (~240 cals) is pretty filling and tastes great. Scrambled egg whites are also good at around 17 cals each. I also keep canned tuna (chunk light not albacore due to mercury) and sardines packed in water for low calorie snacks (both around 180 cals for a whole can). My all-time favorite, though, is broccoli roasted in the oven until crispy and sprinkled with cayenne pepper and salt. 50 calories per serving and delicious, but it requires heating up the oven.
  • Myself4good
    Myself4good Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a half a cup of low-fat Greek yogurt, a half a teaspoon of honey, and an 1/8 a cup of walnuts does the trick for me. I save a couple hundred calories for the evening, and it really helps. Also, I've noticed if I don't keep my meals and/or snacks balanced with fats, carbs, and protein I ALWAYS get that starved, eat-the-house-down feeling in the evenings. So, make sure you're getting a good balance with all your snacks and meals to keep your blood sugars level. Blood sugar levels going up and down drastically can signal major hunger pains for carbs and/or sweets. If you want something sweet, be sure it's after a meal, or if it's a snack make sure it has some sort of protein with it. Hope this helps!
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I try to have a reasonable breakfast, a tiny lunch, a normal dinner, and mostly healthy snacking in the evening (plus wine).

It seems like a good plansince I can't use my old method of cereak for breakfast then just salads anymore. It has worked for a week but I didn't do well over the weekend 'cause of emotional eating issues. I'm trying again this week, but I'm hoping weekends at home aren't going to be a problem.

I really wish lettuce weren't so bad for me!! It's very filling and low calorie. I lost a TON of weight before by eating salads, but I am watching potassium now.
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It helps me to be strict about my eating patterns. I eat twice a day, between 12-14 o'clock and 19-20 o'clock, nothing before or after.