what is your favorite eggplant recipe?

Options
lelser60
lelser60 Posts: 21 Member
Looking for something different to do with one....tired of layering it with spaghetti type of sauce and cheese....

Replies

• lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    roll in egg/parmeson bread crumbs and fry
  • shayemarie88
    Options
    Eggplant pizza! Just search the web for instructions, I don't remember cooking times sorry!
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Roast Veg Cous Cous Salad (Serve at room temp) Approx 6 Servings

1 x Butternut cut into chunks
    250g Mushrooms (cut into chunks)
    1 (or 2) Eggplant (cut into chunks)
    1 Small Onion (leafed)
    1 Yellow Pepper (Sliced)
    1 (or 2) Cloves Garlic (Crushed)

Grill in the oven with a little coarse salt and olive oil....then for the last 5 minutes of cooking add 250g cherry tomatoes

In the meantime, make

250g Cous Cous (Make it with Vegetable stock in the boiling water)

Add Roasted Veg to Cous Cous once Cous Cous is Ready
    Add 1 tin chick peas

Sauce

50ml White Balsamic Vinegar
    50ml Lemon Juice
    100ml Olive Oil
    10ml Cumin
    10ml Cayanne Pepper
    1 Tin Tomato Puree

Blend these together

Pour Sauce over Roast Veg Cous Cous Salad and Viola!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    What type of eggplant are you using? I love fairytale eggplants from my local farmer's market.

I grill them by slicing them in half, salting and letting sit for 30 minutes or so. Then rinse, squeeze and pat dry with paper towels. Brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and then grill over medium heat until the skin turns from light purple to brown.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    What about baba ganoush?
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Oh and remember,

Once you have sliced up your eggplant - sprinkle salt all over it and put it on something like a grill rack for about half an hour.

Wash it off and pat dry.

This will elimate any of the bitterness it may contain.
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Cut into 1/3 in slices
    Dip in a beaten egg
    Dip in Italian breadcrumbs

George Foreman Grill for about 5 minutes
    Provalone cheese
    Slide into a pita with baby spinach, tomato slices, and a swipe of plain greek yogurt and chives

No idea how many calories this is but its godly.

ALSO::

Cut in half longways
    Scrape out a strip of the "meat"
    Fill the carved strip with canned mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, grilled chicken, canned chickpeas, corn or whatever else you have lying around
    Bake until it's all soft and kind of squishy ---(i know im so technical lol)
    Sprinkle mozzarella on at the end and broil for about 2 minutes

This is great for parties because you can slice it up and serve it with mini toasts or pull apart sourdough.

ALSO::

Dice eggplant, zuchinni, yellow squash, stewed tomatoes, onion, celery, corn, and okra and mix with an extra can of tomato sauce in a pot. Garlic, pepper, parsley, italian seasoning (there's plenty of salt already so don't add too much) Stir in a can of vegetable stock and boil until everything has mingled happily and you have a fantastic eggplant caponata to serve with a thick crust bread or as a side to grilled pork chops or chicken breasts. I eat it on its own usually because its really filling.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I cook mine pretty simply. If you are watching calories you do need to be careful with adding a lot of oil to eggplant, because they can absorb a ton.

1. Slice in half inch rounds, spray or brush with olive oil and grill outdoors on the BQ or indoors on a cast iron griddle pan. Could be done under the broiler as well.

2. Prick all over with a fork and roast under the broiler, turning occasionally so that skin is blackened all over. This can be done outdoors on the BBQ as well. Peel the eggplant, scooping out the flesh. Dress simply with soy sauce, or puree with lemon, garlic and olive oil to make baba ghanoush.
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I slice lenghtwise (about 1/4" thick) grill on each side and then top with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Once warmed through, I sprinkle skim mozzarella on each, and close grill lid to melt. Faux pizza....yummy!
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I slice lenghtwise (about 1/4" thick) grill on each side and then top with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Once warmed through, I sprinkle skim mozzarella on each, and close grill lid to melt. Faux pizza....yummy!

This is going to happen very soon in my house.
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eggplant meatballs. Vegan yet adored by omnivores. If you don't have nutritional yeast you can probably substitute grated parmesan. The flax is necessary though.

1 large eggplant, peeled and finely diced (1/2 inch or smaller)
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 1/4 cup water, whisked together and allowed to sit for 10 minutes or more
    1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    1 cup bread crumbs
    marinara sauce, for serving

Salt-dry the eggplant. Preheat oven to 375. Saute onion in oil for a minute, then add the garlic for a minute, then add the eggplant and cook until smashable. Mix the flax and water and let sit, then add it to everything else and smash it. Make balls and bake, turning frequently, for about 40 minutes.
  • harriyot
    harriyot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to stuff them with tuna and cous cous or use them in moussaka with quorn and lentils.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lelser60
    lelser60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! I will have a good variety of ways to fix these now. I'll have to decide which to do tonight:)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've been on a big eggplant kick lately. I like it drizzled with evoo, s&p then grilled (cold leftovers are also good). And I plan to make a big batch of baba ganoush tomorrow. So yummy!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I really like baba ghanoush, second only to hummus. This is a recipe from The Pioneer Woman that I like.

3 whole Medium Eggplants
    4 Tablespoons Tahini
    4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
    ¼ cups Lemon Juice
    3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (good Quality)
    ⅓ cups Fresh Parsley, Minced

IMPORTANT: Prick the surface of each eggplant several times with the tines of a fork.
    On the grill or under the broiler (set to high) blacken/char the eggplant for 25 minutes or so. You want the skin to be completely shriveled and dark, and the eggplant almost fall-apart tender. Just when you think it’s shriveled, let it go another five minutes. Set them aside to cool slightly.

When cool, peel off skin enough to get a spoon into each eggplant and scrape out the flesh into a bowl. Try to get as much as you can, even the stuff that’s stuck to the inside of the skin. (This process is a total mess, so don’t worry.) Mash eggplant with a fork. A few large chunks are fine, but try to get it to a relatively smooth texture without being totally pureed.

Add in all other ingredients, stirring and tasting before adjusting seasonings or other ingredients. Don’t undersalt!

Serve with pita triangles, baguette slices, chips, crusty French bread, raw veggies, use as a sandwich condiment…or just eat it with a spoon.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/10/baba-ghanoush/

imagejpg1_zps2fc03c6a.jpg
  • shayemarie88
    Options
    ^^^ that looks uhmayzing