Perfect or worst time to quit smoking? (during weight loss)

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's nothing in the world that feels better than the moment after you quit when you realize how good you really feel. You breathe better, you run faster, you smell better (both your person and your sense of smell), you taste things better. I think my real moment of clarity was a good 6 months after I quit.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    only you will be able to know if it will work for you.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    For me it was the perfect time. I quit Feb 2, 2014 after 27 years and I have no regrets. I went cold turkey and never looked back. I was afraid of gaining weight and found that changing to a healthy life style was so much more enjoyable than eating crap and smoking cigarettes. I have lost more weight than I expected, I power walk 6 miles daily and I can breathe without hacking up a lung or two.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i replaced smoking with exercising.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Former almost-ten-years-pack-a-day smoker here. I quit when I got pregnant, and almost three years later? I still didn't go back to smoking.

Yes, I'm heavier than I was when I did smoke (I mean, I did gain hella baby weight that I'm working on ditching!)

but! I can breathe! I don't get winded from walking up stairs! I can smell and taste food! My teeth are no longer yellow!
    What really grossed me out when I smoked? My upper lip was starting to stain, HURL FOR DAYS.
    And! I've been able to save mad money from not smoking anymore!

Depending on your insurance company, some providers offer free smoking cessation programs with free counseling, smoking aids, and other tools.

Sending some PMA your way, you got this. GOOD LUCK!
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is a no brainer and requires not a long winded explanation.

Quit immediatly. Trust me- It is easier to shed whatever weight you think you might gain from smoking then to battle lung cancer. Pick and choose your own battles.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking (9 years ago, wow!), my doctor told me that, in my case, even as much as 30 pounds of extra weight wouldn't be nearly as harmful as continuing to smoke even another year.

I was coughing up blood and tissue by that point, though, so YMMV.

Quitting is the best thing I've ever done for myself. Whatever weight I did gain, I've taken off since. And then some!
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback, I loved reading your stories and tips and feel really motivated!

I don't think i'm capable of full cold turkey experience, I tried 10 years ago and I kept crying (yes, real tears), I only made it for 3 days, I was at a point that someone saying something to me, it would sound like an insult or a negative comment. I felt like the saddest person on earth and wasnt able to control my emotions

This time I was planning on gum/patches... anything that could provide some help!

I absolutely admire everyone capable of cold turkey, I can't even imagine how hard it must have been!

I haven't read through everyone's replies so keep that in mind. :) I quit in 2001 using gum. Cold turkey and patches did not work at all for me. With the gum I could pop a piece at those moments I normally would go for a cigarette. The patch was too passive and cold turkey too harsh. I wasn't trying to actively lose weight when I quit but I was trying to get fitter and do more hiking and biking in particular. With that in mind, it was a great time for me to quit. As someone else mentioned your lung capacity increases pretty quickly when you stop. It's known fact that nicotine boosts metabolism but with the gum I didn't have the metabolism issues (until I quit the gum.) Exercising actually helped me with the quitting. The biggest thing for me was breaking the associations (cig in the morning, after a meal, etc.) and that's where the gum was great.

I did gain about 15 lbs overall but I didn't mind. I figured I was much healthier 15 lbs. overweight than a smoker. And that weight came off from all the added activity and exercise I did.

I had quit before (my old joke was sure it's easy to quit, I've done it a 100 times!) but this time it stuck. I kept emergency Nicorette available for months, even years afterward. :) PM me if you need support. Good luck. Just do it. :)
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    People saying anytime is a good time to quit smoking clearly have never had a cigarette in their lives. Personally I put on a stone when I gave up first time around - and that was using nicotine gum. It was the hardest habit to kick, and it still isn't gone. I still smoke periodically, but I know now I'm not physically addicted - it's a psychological habit I associate with certain situations and alcohol. I can give it up for weeks without problems, then I'll have a few drinks and smoke 20 in an evening.

I don't think it's a great idea right now, chances are it could absolutely ruin your lifestyle changes - the first few weeks are hellish, you're stressed, fed up and ALWAYS hungry. I'd wait until you're firmly into the maintenance zone at least and have some solid good eating habits that have been there for a long time.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    People saying anytime is a good time to quit smoking clearly have never had a cigarette in their lives. Personally I put on a stone when I gave up first time around - and that was using nicotine gum. It was the hardest habit to kick, and it still isn't gone. I still smoke periodically, but I know now I'm not physically addicted - it's a psychological habit I associate with certain situations and alcohol. I can give it up for weeks without problems, then I'll have a few drinks and smoke 20 in an evening.

I don't think it's a great idea right now, chances are it could absolutely ruin your lifestyle changes - the first few weeks are hellish, you're stressed, fed up and ALWAYS hungry. I'd wait until you're firmly into the maintenance zone at least and have some solid good eating habits that have been there for a long time.

There is so much wrong with this, I can't even.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    As soon as you feel that urge to quit is a good time. You are more likely to stick with something you want, than with something you just think you have to do. Set a date and do it. I have yet to meet one person who says they regret quitting smoking. I quit in January of last year around the same time that I decided to get my butt in gear and get in shape and haven't looked back yet. I have lost around 20 lbs and feel amazing.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    i replaced smoking with exercising.

Me too! Once I started getting into exercise, my competitive nature with myself kicked in and I didn't want to slow my progress down anymore with wheezing. I"ll remember the moment when I finally ran a mile breathing comfortably for the rest of my life.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    just like any other change, it's not going to "take" until you're ready to make it happen.

I haven't had a cigarette in 14 months. I still want one. but I have to focus on the fact that I've come this far, already, going back wouldn't help anything.

you, your health, and your wallet are all worth it, though.

best of luck!
  • Cathalain
    Options
    I was reading back over this thread and wanted to comment on a couple of things:
    Smoking does not relieve anxiety. It CREATES anxiety

You aren't kidding. Ever run out of cigarettes on a holiday weekend when all the stores are closed? Not fun schlepping out to the 7-11 during a snowstorm because your'e going bats**t crazy "needing" a smoke.
    It does not increase self confidence. It DECREASES self-confidence and creates self-loathing.

Especially now with the majority of people (at least in the U.S.) now non-smokers. You get the stares. You get the dirty looks. Makes you stand away from everyone, all alone, in your designated "box" or "area", puffing away and not talking to anyone but the very few that still do what you do. Yeah, that inspires confidence, for sure. /sarcasm

Very apt analogies, there. Not to mention the fact that you've pretty much got to be a billionaire these days to afford it. I started smoking in 1985 (at THIRTEEN - God) when cigarettes were only 80 cents a pack. They're now 8.00 a pack where I live - you do the math.

I've saved enough money in 9 years to take so many vacations that I never would have had the opportunity to enjoy if I were still smoking. Who would you rather see go on vacation - you, or the children of the tobacco executives?

Anyone that wants to stop smoking, read the declassified tobacco industry documents and see what they think of you. Seriously. I read those and they made me SO... angry.

One quote from an R.J. Reynolds executive struck me as the most offensive thing I've ever heard -

"We don't smoke that c**p. We just sell it. We reserve the right to smoke for the young, the poor, the blacks and the stupid."

Yep. That's what the tobacco executives think of their customers. Nice.
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The perfect time to quit smoking was yesterday, or the day, weeks, years before. It was also the best time to lose weight. Its hard. Itsdamn hard. Giving yourself an "out" for diet or exsrcise because its not the right time is an excuse. YYou're in the mess, start digging out by all means necessary. You can do it.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As soon as you feel that urge to quit is a good time. You are more likely to stick with something you want, than with something you just think you have to do. Set a date and do it. I have yet to meet one person who says they regret quitting smoking. I quit in January of last year around the same time that I decided to get my butt in gear and get in shape and haven't looked back yet. I have lost around 20 lbs and feel amazing.

Actually, there are many people who regret quitting smoking, which is why they pick up the habit again.

That's another reason why the topic is so appropriate here. How many have lost a significant amount of weight (with the knowledge that it's unhealthy), only to regain it?

Most think that consequences only befall others.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've saved enough money in 9 years to take so many vacations that I never would have had the opportunity to enjoy if I were still smoking. Who would you rather see go on vacation - you, or the children of the tobacco executives?

I never heard this one. You might want to stop buying milk, too, unless you want to send all those farm kids to the Riviera.
    Anyone that wants to stop smoking, read the declassified tobacco industry documents and see what they think of you. Seriously. I read those and they made me SO... angry.

One quote from an R.J. Reynolds executive struck me as the most offensive thing I've ever heard -

"We don't smoke that c**p. We just sell it. We reserve the right to smoke for the young, the poor, the blacks and the stupid."

Yep. That's what the tobacco executives think of their customers. Nice.

I hate to break this to you, but tobacco execs are no more "evil" than the rest of them. Pretty much all high-level corporate management are only concerned with the bottom line.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    E-cigarettes are your friend. They say it wont help you quit smoking. But within two weeks I was smoke free and within 3 months I was vaping without nicotine in it just for the flavors. And I only really use the e-cig once every few days.

Just make sure you do your research and buy from a well established high quality reputable supplier. There is no quality control legislation yet so the cheap ones can be all sorts of bad for you. The good ones however have about the same effect on your lungs as inhaling fog.

Oh and also if someone likes smoking get the hell of their back. We all make our choices in life. If they can live with theirs then you have no right to tell them to stop. And don't give me any crap about second hand smoke. Automobiles probably account for more cases of lung cancer end fatalities in general than second hand smoke ever will. Even discounting the encouragement to live a sedentary lifestyle. And no one cares because everyone drives. This world is not safe not totally clean and never will be. Deal with it.

Personally I stopped because of it's effect on my fitness training had NOTHING to do with the possibility of cancer or the legions of whiny wimps wafting their faces in front of their noses and pretending they are better than you. Grow up.
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    great advice here. saving for later ;)
  • Cathalain
    Options
    I hate to break this to you, but tobacco execs are no more "evil" than the rest of them. Pretty much all high-level corporate management are only concerned with the bottom line.

It's still an excellent example of one of the many reasons why people should quit smoking. I don't know about you or anyone else, but being characterized in this manner is insulting (not to mention other adjectives that I could think of) - perhaps drinking alcohol is bad for you, too, but you don't see the companies who make liquor make statements like this about their potential client base.

In any case, I'm not here to get into a debate, so - to each their own.

Good luck with quitting, OP.