I discovered the secret to losing weight.102lbs in 10 mos

Replies

• ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    You are a rock!

I use the same method you do. Eat what I want, in moderation, and then work it off walking the dog!

Oh...plus I have found that hydration and good sleep patterns are REALLY important to my success.

How about you?

I usually get a good night's rest, however, for me that's 6 to 7 hours. I definitely stay hydrated while exercising, carrying water with me. I'm not a person who is real strict on getting in so many glasses of water a day though. I still like my coffee with cream and sugar in the morning and a diet Pepsi whenever it suits my fancy during the day ;-)
  • This post is meant for sussiessoaps. My first post and didn't see quotes so I am editing and attaching.

Quote: Well then maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have just finished the first month of the insanity workout I try to run or walk 3.5 to 4 miles 5 nights a week. I stick to 1200 calories a day give or take 100 I don't eat my exercise calories back I did first few weeks not understanding how it worked. I weigh the same I drop 4 lbs and the next day it's back just back an forth. I know it's only been a month but would have thought that I would have some success. Can you help me?

My reply: Hi, the thyroid has a great deal to do with metabolism and yours could be going up and down. Maybe ask your doctor to check your thyroid VIA a blood test if you find that your weight is still going up and down in another few weeks. Good Luck.
  • That is wonderful, Scott. Good for you. I just started today and was thinking that I would skip the extra calories. Your post has made me more determined to skip the calories and lose weight. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Well then maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have just finished the first month of the insanity workout I try to run or walk 3.5 to 4 miles 5 nights a week. I stick to 1200 calories a day give or take 100 I don't eat my exercise calories back I did first few weeks not understanding how it worked. I weigh the same I drop 4 lbs and the next day it's back just back an forth. I know it's only been a month but would have thought that I would have some success. Can you help me?

I used the Scooby calculator to find my BMR and TDEE, then had it calculate what I should be eating, customizing my macros to 40P/30F/30C.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Even with that, the biggest thing I was doing wrong was not weighing my food. Measuring cups or eyeballing were NOT sufficient to really make my portions what they should be.

ETA: huge congratulations to the OP!!
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Congrats to you, OP! Success stories are really inspirational. I enjoy reading how people have taken control of their health in positive ways and see how their hard work has paid off.

I just want to weigh in on the side of "cheat days," in that it isn't about a meal or even a day of gorging, there is a biochemical reason for it as well. The manipulation of your body's leptin production can help reset your satiety and boost you off of plateaued weight loss. It can work for some and not for others but it is a real mechanism.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Congratulations on your fabulous results, OP. Your approach makes sense to me.:flowerforyou:
  • ScottH_200
    Lots of good input and positive reinforcement, which I why I posted this thread in the first place ;-) Thanks to all!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Really, no one is being "mean". Stop being so sensitive. I wasn't sure if op was making a statement, or trying to make a point about o e way vs another. I applaud his success but was confused by the wording. Relax and move on. Have a good day!

Then what is wrong with coming out and saying what you mean so people on the internet can't interpret it to mean something else. Saves a lot of effort on everyone's part. And you don't get nasty comments back because they think your being ugly. Problem solved, now move along
    There's always that ONE person who just can't let it go.
    Even if someone says they applaud the op and were confused. Once AGAIN congrats op.

It was a simple question, and yet again you get snippy. SMDH:laugh:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Really, no one is being "mean". Stop being so sensitive. I wasn't sure if op was making a statement, or trying to make a point about o e way vs another. I applaud his success but was confused by the wording. Relax and move on. Have a good day!

Then what is wrong with coming out and saying what you mean so people on the internet can't interpret it to mean something else. Saves a lot of effort on everyone's part. And you don't get nasty comments back because they think your being ugly. Problem solved, now move along
    There's always that ONE person who just can't let it go.
    Even if someone says they applaud the op and were confused. Once AGAIN congrats op.

It was a simple question, and yet again you get snippy. SMDH:laugh:
    Only because she got caught backpedaling when someone called her on her original comment.
  • Congratulations, Scott! Fantastic job!

On the topic of "eating back your calories" - I think since it's impossible to know how many calories are being burned by a particular exercise (different calculators for me have come up with hugely different values*), to be on the safe side, I don't try to eat back calories burned. I just base how much to eat on how I feel. If I'm feeling hungry, no energy, or faint (fortunately doesn't happen often) then I probably need to eat more. Drinking lots of water/tea/some fluid other than alcohols, is also key to feeling well.

*I have an elliptical that calculates how many calories are burned based on my weight. I also have a heart rate monitor which shows TWICE as many calories burned as the elliptical when I wear it while I'm on the elliptical. So naturally, I'd like to believe the HRM, but it wouldn't be safe to eat the larger value back!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    No one was "caught backpedaling" one again as I said I thought he was making a comparitive statement and was confused. Hence the "huh?' Smiley. Now, back to the topic and get on with it.
    Eta: reported. Off topic, raising/causing drama, irrelavent to topic.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I very seldom even eat back half of the additional calories I burn through exercise.

That practice has kept me within my daily caloric goals for 299 out the previous 300 days of logging. However, getting that exercise allows me the freedom to eat WHATEVER I want, just not WHENEVER or as MUCH as I want.

This process has resulted in a loss of 102 lbs in 10 months...

I personally don't believe in the concept of of "cheat days". Cheating denotes that you're doing something wrong and further ingrains the concept that extreme deprivation is the only way one can succeed in the battle against obesity.

I've learned the hard way (unfortunately) that extreme deprivation and guilt are not the way to success ;-)

:bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :love: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

SUPER fabulous job, well done sir!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I'm glad your plan works for you. That's all any of us could hope for. Congratulations.
  • ScottH_200
    Thanks!
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    I find I'm less hungry when I exercise--a double bonus! Congratulations on both your weight loss and your new exercise habits.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Um, ooooooook. :huh:

OP found a lifestyle that works for him and lost over 100 lbs and that is what you are going to say.... Anyway on a positive note congrats.

Totally agree with you Sam. And yes, congrats to the OP. And thanks to him for sharing. And btw, I agree with him as well.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Hi Scott....that sounds like a plan, I don't eat back all my calories however I do get close sometimes. Congratulations of a great effort, you must feel amazing.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Keep plugging away. It has only been a month.

You did not mention your personal daily deficit. A person needs a daily deficit of about 500 calories to lose approximately 1 lb per week. You are probably aware that everyone varies up and down a few pounds over the course of a day.

For me, the loss did not start immediately. It took a couple of months before I had a measurable difference. i do not know why. Perhaps I was not logging the food and exercise accurately, and I only thought I has a significant deficit.
    Well then maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have just finished the first month of the insanity workout I try to run or walk 3.5 to 4 miles 5 nights a week. I stick to 1200 calories a day give or take 100 I don't eat my exercise calories back I did first few weeks not understanding how it worked. I weigh the same I drop 4 lbs and the next day it's back just back an forth. I know it's only been a month but would have thought that I would have some success. Can you help me?
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    congrats !
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Congrats on your success. Yeah, the only time I have a "cheat day" is when I am just particularly ravenous for no apparent reason. This only happens once in a while, and it usually means that I need to take a break from lifting and running for a couple of days. I get back on track pretty easily after that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!