Gym apparel - dri fit vs cotton

mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
I just bought a couple nike dri fit shirts for the gym. My regular cotton shirts get soaked at the gym and become heavy. Also after sweating in them so much it's hard to get the sweat smell out :sick: Anyone else like wearing dri fit? Does the sweat still bleed through ?

Replies

• I am thankfully not a sweater, however, I love Dri-fit. Not only does it wick away moisture but it makes running and other kinds of cardio easier my reducing friction. I still have my cotton stuff for lift days but one day I hope to have an entirely dry-fit gym wardrobe.
  • mhlew
    I am a sweater! Like within minutes I will start to perspire. I too hope to have all dri fit if I like it but will need to build up my wardrobe as it is expensive! @maidensandmon
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I've done away with pretty much all my cotton stuff in favor of the wicking fabrics. They are more comfortable, don't get heavy, dry faster after a workout (nice if I'm not able to shower & change right away), and I haven't had any problems with odors.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    I've done away with pretty much all my cotton stuff in favor of the wicking fabrics. They are more comfortable, don't get heavy, dry faster after a workout (nice if I'm not able to shower & change right away), and I haven't had any problems with odors.

Well said.
  • I am a sweater! Like within minutes I will start to perspire. I too hope to have all dri fit if I like it but will need to build up my wardrobe as it is expensive! @maidensandmon

Walmart, target, TJ max, and Ross have affordable stuff if you're not terribly name brand conscious :)
  • mhlew
    I am a sweater! Like within minutes I will start to perspire. I too hope to have all dri fit if I like it but will need to build up my wardrobe as it is expensive! @maidensandmon

Walmart, target, TJ max, and Ross have affordable stuff if you're not terribly name brand conscious :)

Not really I just care it fits comfortable. After trying on nike, under armor I just find Nike for best on me. Being 5'8" 285 my options are limited but that should change soon! Can't wait to be able to buy anything I like
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I haven't owned cotton workout or hiking gear since I was a kid. All of my gear is dri fit or similar from other brands.
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    When I trained for a 1/2 Marathon Team and Training Coaches said NO COTTON! I love wicking fabric and can't imagine a world without it!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I like JCPenney's Xersion line also - I am liking their women's line and they also have men's.

Champion from the online site - I have learned to spring fast on their sales and scored some good stuff much cheaper.
  • mhlew
    lol thanks everyone. I guess I have been living in the Stone Age wearing cotton. Dri fit it is!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I suppose if you are just working out, it is a comfort issue. With cotton, it holds sweat and sucks. But if you are working out outside in extreme temperatures (either hot or cold), it can be a safety issue. For that reason, I don't wear cotton when hiking, with the exception of treated pants (only if heat is not severe).
  • mhlew
    Nice I am excited to put my new dri fit shirts to the test tomorrow.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Concur on all points.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I like dry fit for the most part, but it lacks friction when going heavy for squats and I tend to slide around the bench doing bench press. Good for cardio, running and heavy conditioning work, though! Also would not wear anything else for obstacle/mud runs :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    When I first started running, I wore cotton.... my nipples beotched for a week
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    Dri fit is the way to go for sure. A couple affordable options: try thrift stores. A lot of times people will donate new dri fit shirts from races and I've found Lululemon stuff at thrift stores.
    Sierratradingpost.com also has great deals on athletic clothes. My husband also got a bunch of dri fit shirts from Target that couldn't have been that much.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    I guess I'm in the minority here. I like my cotton T's - - the Dri-fit stuff I have seems to chaffe more than cotton. I deal with the sweat smell by washing in hot water (after the first couple of washes, of course).
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    I like dri-fit more than cotton lighter and I don't feel wet when running. To avoid smell build up I hang them to dry before I put them in the laundry especially if it will be a day or two before I wash them. I don't put them in the dryer or use fabric softener on them. Fabric softener can cause clothes to build up with sweat smell. I typically hang them after I wash them,if I do dry them it is on low with out fabric softener.

If you are having smell build up 1/2 cup vinegar or oxyclean in the washer can help get rid of the smell. :wink:
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    There seems to be a couple of different kinds of dry-fit. I have a couple of older dri-fit t-shirts that look and feel like regular cotton (maybe just feels lighter than a regular cotton shirt), but the newer shirts I have are all man-made fibres and not as comfy.

Have a look around for the softer type, I think even the golfing polo shirts are labelled as dri-fit so you have lots of choice wrt style and fit.

I just got a couple of under-armour t-shirts and these are similar to the older dri-fit I have, (feel and look more like a lightweight cotton rather than plastic-fest that most athletic tops are). I don't feel quite so nervous in those when I see sparks and naked flames either ;)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    "wicking" is my new word learned today. not a term in use generally in the uk.thankyou google.
    i tend to use old t-shirts for running, and wash in a v hot wash.
    however as i am improving,will definately upgrade to dri- fit shirts.