Gym apparel - dri fit vs cotton

2»

Replies

• jfmorrison
    jfmorrison Posts: 70 Member
    I wear quick drying materials when I'm doing cardio. For weight training I usually wear cotton because the synthetics are more slippery on the gym benches.
  • amitglinkedin
    amitglinkedin Posts: 223 Member
    Probably different from others, Although I sweat a lot...I still prefer cottons..I tried drifit..but its seems to heat a bit and I dont feel soo comfortable in them
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I guess I'm in the minority here. I like my cotton T's - - the Dri-fit stuff I have seems to chaffe more than cotton. I deal with the sweat smell by washing in hot water (after the first couple of washes, of course).

no not really.

I wear exclusively Target and Old Navy Cotton blend tanks- now- they are fitted- and I'm not an endurance athlete- I'm a power lifter and a dancer- so yeah I get sweaty- but I'm not running more than 4-5 miles at most- so my tank tops work great- I have weird issues with some of the textures for the shirts- they just feel weird to me.

But I only wear high lycra/spandex content type bottoms- no cotton. nopenopenopenopenpe. All capris- all day long.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    I sweat profusely. Dri-fit is like my new best friend!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    By the way, 5.11 clothing - this is used by people in highly active professions (police, EMT's, military) - was made from cotton last I knew. My understanding is that it is coated cotton, to make it less likely to chafe.

Overall, though, I still try not to wear anything with more than 50% cotton when hiking (my primary cardio exercise), with the exception of those specially coated cotton cargo pants if it isn't going to be very hot or humid.

Again, I exercise outside so it is a safety issue if my sweat does not get wicked up by the fabric and then released into the environment... cotton holds onto sweat, and that prevents sweat from cooling as well as it should in heat. It also greatly increases the risk of hypothermia when it is cool out. The last thing I need is to be cold, wet from sweat from before I was cold, and the only way to get dry is to take off clothes... that is a situation I want to avoid.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    I am assuming just to wash in cool water. What about drying? Hang dry? I don't want them to shrink!!
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Most labels say no fabric softner and I usually run mine in dryer a few minutes then hang to dry. I also drape mine over the shower rod when I get home to let them dry before I throw in the hamper to reduce the chance of stink.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    bump
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Dri fit. Always.

And I hang dry all my work out clothes.

I've machine dried them in the past and the colors faded faster and they seemed to lose some of their stretch over time. They never shrank or anything, though.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    I've done away with pretty much all my cotton stuff in favor of the wicking fabrics. They are more comfortable, don't get heavy, dry faster after a workout (nice if I'm not able to shower & change right away), and I haven't had any problems with odors.

I agree completely!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    I don't wear cotton clothes to work out. I have been very happy with the Champion workout tees from Target; they're about ten bucks, and sometimes on sale for even less. I've bought a few tees from Walmart that are more polyester-y and I don't like those as much.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    I am a sweater! Like within minutes I will start to perspire. I too hope to have all dri fit if I like it but will need to build up my wardrobe as it is expensive! @maidensandmon

i sweat insane! i hate the Sweaty V print that cotton leaves and makes me feel so self conscious! dri fit