What to tell people when you don't want to eat it!

Options
So I know all of us have had this issue. You go to a dinner party, or someone's house, and you need to politely decline some of the food. As I believe each of us individually has the RIGHT to decide what we put in our mouths, I don't think it should be considered rude if we don't try something. However... others think differently.

My question for anyone who reads this is what do you tell people if they give you crap for not eating their food... if you don't want to start the huge "I'm undergoing a lifestyle change" and then someone says, "oh you're on a diet... you don't need to be... cut yourself some slack, one bite won't hurt.. blah de blah"

I have a few ideas. the most obvious is to say "I don't care for that" or "I'm allergic to that". A lot of the stuff I don't want to eat has flour and sugar, so I am thinking about saying I think I may have a gluten allergy (although I hate lying, but it seems like a good escape route!). But I want to get creative with this. What are some things you can say to people to excuse yourself from eating unhealthy food?!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You know, "I will have some in a little bit". And a little bit never happens.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I simply say "I'm on a diet" and if they say "aww one wont kill you" I usually say "actually believe me, it might, with my personality one taste and I'm on the road to ruin... it's a very slippery slope, today I have that cupcake, tomorrow I have a whole cake, by Thursday I've lost my job, and by next weekend I'm doing lines of coke off of a hookers *kitten* in the restroom at the bus station... do you want to be responsible for that?"

Usually that shuts 'em up :)
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    You know, "I will have some in a little bit". And a little bit never happens.

^^ This works like a charm!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I simply say "I'm on a diet" and if they say "aww one wont kill you" I usually say "actually believe me, it might, with my personality one taste and I'm on the road to ruin... it's a very slippery slope, today I have that cupcake, tomorrow I have a whole cake, by Thursday I've lost my job, and by next weekend I'm doing lines of coke off of a hookers *kitten* in the restroom at the bus station... do you want to be responsible for that?"

LOL! Awesome!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I work with athletes so the "I'm training for XXXXX" works well for anything.

In sport nutrition...if it doesn't serve a functional purpose...it doesn't go in your mouth...simple as that.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Hahaha.. Totally something I'd say. :laugh:
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    I'm full already...............
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options

hahahaha!! i love this! im sooo using this :P
  • RayDarSpi
    RayDarSpi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about, "no thank you, I've had enough" with a smile and then just say it again when they insist and again, if they are rude and pushy. Eventually, they will get the hint!!
  • juliebrc1
    Options

That is freakin AWESOME!!!
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't think saying no is a bad thing. No thank you works for me, and if they ask if your on a diet, just say no. You don't have to get into the lifestyle change angle either. Its your body, you don't have to answer to anyone about what you eat or decide not to eat.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    This is a great thread. I'm anxious to check back later and see if there are any other suggestions. I use the "maybe later" excuse myself, but it often doesn't work. LOVE the slippery slope response!!!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    No, Thank you.

Thank you. But I just ate and I'm stuffed.

This is a hard one for me too. I've just decided that I have to speak up. Eventually everyone has gotten the message and don't really press the issue anymore. It was SO hard to break my mom from bringing me breakfast when she was in my neighborhood (and it was always Hardee's stuff like Biscuit and Gravy and sasauge biscuits). When she brought it in, at first I was offended because she knew I was working on this but I realized that she's doing it because she loves me and this is one way she expresses it. So she would hand it to me when she walked in and would stay to visit for a minute. I would take it, tell her thank you but I just ate maybe I'll eat it in a minute. Then I would offer it back to her when she left saying, "it doesn't look like I'm going to get around to eating this do you want to take it with you so you can eat it while it is still fresh". Sometimes she would. Other times she tell me to put it in the fridge until later. After about 2 months (5-6 times) and seeing them setting in my fridge when she came back the next time, I think she got the hint because now she calls first and tells me she's goign through the drive thru and asks me if I want anything. Again, "thanks but I've already eaten" is my response.

Unfortunately, there just may be times you have to or will offend someone. You have to love yourself more than you are afraid of offending them.

This is tough. I hope you find some answers that help.

- Eva
  • BlessedMystique
    BlessedMystique Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use "wow, I filled up on water...it looks good though."
    Or "everything was soo good. i'm stuffed. absolutely no space!"
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I have run into this already, especially this time of year in the office. I found I get better reaction and less "oh, one bite won't hurt" if I say something like "I'm not allowed to eat that" or "Sorry, that's on the list the Doctor said to avoid" Which, for me, is not a lie, the doctor said my cholesteral is slightly high and I should be able to bring it down with diet and exercise. People always seem to want to sabatoge a "diet" but are less likely to for Dr.s orders.

On the other hand I've also had to just convince myself that it OK to say NO THANK YOU, and it does not make me a rude person!!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Very well said! :happy:
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    oooooo I am kind of loving this game at the moment - my friends are the WORST for "one won't hurt"

SO here are some of my favourites
    - "Ah I've had a work function all arvo and had so many canapés I just want to lie down so I don't pop"

(this one works best if you say it BEFORE food is even offered more as a conversation thing and then it becomes your defence all night and stops people pushing you if they think you've already eaten lots)

- For anything involving alcohol I say "I wish but I had a killer headache an took some codeine earlier so better not!"

- "I am detoxing" Some how ppl accept this more than I'm on a diet

- "I have been finding (insert major food group, wheat, sugar, gluten, dairy) has been making me feel really ill recently - I'm going to the dr. next week to get tested" - I find this works better than out and out I'm allergic to... because people who know you know you are not and others have a tendency not to believe it - also normally when I say this it becomes a conversation like o I have a friend who is celiac and they blah blah blah which changes the subject

OR I say "yum yes please" put it on my plate cut it up move it round and then ignore it :)

x
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

too funny.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I actually do think it's rude to go to someone's house for the sole reason of attending a dinner party only to decline their food. If you don't like their cooking or the kinds of foods they serve, don't go.

Also, I advise against lying. If it's friends or family they will either know that you don't have an allergy or intolerance, or they will be with you at some point when you will forget about your lie and they will catch you eating food you said you couldn't have.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

This is awesome, love it!!!