What to tell people when you don't want to eat it!

Options

Replies

• stinago
    Options
    "oh my gosh, I'm so full! Maybe I'll just take some home with me when I leave, it looks great!"...and then take it home and throw it out. They'll never know and they feel good about giving it to you. You feel good because you didn't eat it.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Also people want to make themselves feel better by having everyone be the same as them - if you want to be honest say "no thanks - it's really important for me to be in control of what I'm eating at the mo"
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    i was taking a trip with my grandparents and they went to whataburger and i just got a small burger cuz i had eaten a little before that and i knew it was a jillion calories and my grandpa actually got mad at me and made me get atleast a small fry also and then got mad when i said i didnt wanna get anything to drink haha he doesnt understand its a waste of money to buy me a drink when im gonna get water but hes ex military you eat what you eat type and i thought it was hilarious i told him i had eaten before that luckily my grandma understood lol
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    this works for me

" aww, so sorry, Im fasting for tomorrow, Im having a stress test that was pushed up one day sooner, so that means I cant eat today for 24 hours"
    "It was scheduled for Sunday, but they moved it up one day sooner, which means I had to push my 24 hour fast up, one day sooner........so sorry, it looks so good"

Ive used this on family members who love to instigate drama, and they cant stir the pot on this one, lol

Trust me, theyll wish you the best on your stress test and go around the rest of the crowd pushing their goodies

Ive used this before and it works, BOTH for them and myself................Lloyd
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    you know it's weird, I'm VERY allergic to dairy...but I still hear "come on a little on the lips won't kill you"...One of my friends even shoved an Ice cream cone into my face so I'd have to lick it off...I've never been so angry...I don't understand why people don't get that YES DAIRY CAN KILL ME! I like the "little bit" idea...just tell them you have to rest your belly for a second...and then change the subject or get up and make some tea or something.
  • Troublelette
    Options
    yeah this one works really well. just tell them that you already ate.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I used this one recently at the office, as someone brought in a baked good:

"If I don't know what's in it, it doesn't go in me."

Otherwise, I just politely decline and become a broken record if they continue asking.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You could always quote Jack LaLanne too, although they might think you're crazy:

"there are two rules I live by, 1. If man made it, don't eat it. 2. If it tastes good, spit it out!"
  • cragmor
    cragmor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that people are becoming too sensitive anymore. If you decline, no one should be offended, unless you specifically requested it, and they then went to the trouble to provide it. The same thing goes for invites to about anything. When I got married, I sent invites to people that I would like to have had there. If they did not come, for whatever reason, no big deal. I invited you, I did not subpoena you.
    Personally, if I decline something, I just say, "No thank you, I have reached my limit for the day." If they ask, I will explain that I limit my calories, and have no more available to ingest. If they get pissy, too bad for them.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    You could always quote Jack LaLanne too, although they might think you're crazy:

"there are two rules I live by, 1. If man made it, don't eat it. 2. If it tastes good, spit it out!"

That's not a bad idea actually.....

Usually I just say "no thanks" and deal with the dirty looks.
    Ahhh well I can give a pretty affective dirty look right back!
  • fromaquasar
    Options
    I actually do think it's rude to go to someone's house for the sole reason of attending a dinner party only to decline their food. If you don't like their cooking or the kinds of foods they serve, don't go.

Also, I advise against lying. If it's friends or family they will either know that you don't have an allergy or intolerance, or they will be with you at some point when you will forget about your lie and they will catch you eating food you said you couldn't have.

Really?! I have plenty of family and friends I love to see and spend time with who have chosen different lifestyles to me - so I should give up seeing them because it is just TOO rude to turn down food! - it's not about the dinner it's about the people!

Isn't it ruder to always turn down invitations or try and force your lifestyle on other people? I think that is part of the larger problem, what you put into your body is your personal choice, that society sees it as offensive to turn things away that are unhealthy or too much for us is a serious psychological issue for all of us!

I agree about the lying to an extent - but you are saying we shouldn't lie because we might get caught! Not because dishonesty is wrong. The fact is that most peoples networks force them to lie because of peoples own issues they struggle to be supportive of others living healthy lifestyles. I think I would love to be strong and resolved enough to say No dammit I'm eating what I want every-time but sometimes I'm not and I don't want that to impact my life so I will tell little fibs to get around it while I work on the resolve thing
  • fromaquasar
    Options
    I actually do think it's rude to go to someone's house for the sole reason of attending a dinner party only to decline their food. If you don't like their cooking or the kinds of foods they serve, don't go.

Also, I advise against lying. If it's friends or family they will either know that you don't have an allergy or intolerance, or they will be with you at some point when you will forget about your lie and they will catch you eating food you said you couldn't have.

Really?! I have plenty of family and friends I love to see and spend time with who have chosen different lifestyles to me - so I should give up seeing them because it is just TOO rude to turn down food! - it's not about the dinner it's about the people!

Isn't it ruder to always turn down invitations or try and force your lifestyle on other people? I think that is part of the larger problem, what you put into your body is your personal choice, that society sees it as offensive to turn things away that are unhealthy or too much for us is a serious psychological issue for all of us!

I agree about the lying to an extent - but you are saying we shouldn't lie because we might get caught! Not because dishonesty is wrong. The fact is that most peoples networks force them to lie because of peoples own issues they struggle to be supportive of others living healthy lifestyles. I think I would love to be strong and resolved enough to say No dammit I'm eating what I want every-time but sometimes I'm not and I don't want that to impact my life so I will tell little fibs to get around it while I work on the resolve thing
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Now? I tell then "no thank you" & they leave me alone lol

When I first started? I would lie & say I'm pre-diabetic. Bad to lie like that, I know but people didn't question it :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    In my spirituality gift-giving, hospitality, dining and drinking together are a huge part of bonding, showing mutual respect and love. It's to the extent that refusing a drink or food is considered highly rude and a sign that you dis-respect or intend on breaking friendship with the person/group you deny.

In mundane settings, when I'm offered a drink, a beer or a horn of mead, I say "I'll have a water for now" but when it's time to pass the horn you better take small sips and smile!

I love our best cook, but I swear she cooks carrots in a whole pound of butter. If you've got a set of matching soup bowls and they all say "Country Crock" you might be a redneck.
  • clairebeej
    Options
    This is a toughie. If you're just visiting and they offer up goodies to be nice, it's fine to just say "oh those look delicious but I'm really stuffed (so make sure you did eat before you go to visit them!)...I might try to fit one in later though"....and then move on.

If you're going to visit for the sole purpose of having dinner with them, then one thing to do before-hand is offer to bring something with you - a huge salad works a treat - or a plate of raw vegetables and dip while you catch up before dinner is ready.

If you don't know what you might get and then arrive to find all the worst things you can imagine, then just try a little to be a polite and let them know that you're really trying to be good lately, wanting to be healthier but that it is delicious. Try to pile your plate with vegetables if possible. You don't have to get into a big discussion about nutrition or dieting. Plus I've found that the more I decline to eat the bad stodgy food, the more the worst "pushers" in my life have started to accept that it's no fun trying to tempt me anymore and they've backed off.

As for friends who I get together with for dinner regularly, they have gotten used to seeing the healthier options on my plate (and the ones I sever THEM when they visit me) and started thinking of other options. At the very least, there's usually a salad I can tuck into and when my plate is full, no-one really pays attention to what it is full of.

Planning ahead of time to know just what you can and cannot get away with in your daily allowance really helps too. If you eat the wrong things for one dinner a month, it's not going to do a whole lot of harm.

But lying isn't necessary. Be honest about your feelings and people will eventually get the picture. Be strong!
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I blame an upset tummy - "Looks so good, but I had some bad Chinese last night that's just not sitting well". Bonus points if your stomach gurgles or you can burp on cue.
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I simply say "I'm on a diet" and if they say "aww one wont kill you" I usually say "actually believe me, it might, with my personality one taste and I'm on the road to ruin... it's a very slippery slope, today I have that cupcake, tomorrow I have a whole cake, by Thursday I've lost my job, and by next weekend I'm doing lines of coke off of a hookers *kitten* in the restroom at the bus station... do you want to be responsible for that?"

Usually that shuts 'em up :)

LMAO!! That's awesome.

But I usually just say "No Thank You" I think it's rude to say "WHY AREN'T YOU EATING THAT??" It's really none of their business why you say "No thank you". I've even told my boyfriend's mom (my future mother in law) I'm on a diet when I declined an item at dinner..I was afraid she'd be offended..but it actually made her respect me and my will power :-)
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!!

It's hard to predict what is going to be served at a dinner party. As much as I'd like everyone around me to know I dont eat this, this and this for these reasons, it's not going to go down pretty. Especially in college, where everyone throws caution to the wind and eats and drinks whatever they feel like.

I don't think I will use the allergy excuse, but I will use the excuse that some foods ie. flour and sugar cause me to feel crappy. Especially now that I have finals and need to eat the healthy stuff!

Keep it up guys and gals, I love the funny suggestions, and the ones that just plain shut people up! Especially, if man made it, I don't eat it! My roommie and I were just joking that we put *secret ingredients* in our dishes for the potluck tonight - haha! You never know what people could put in something! lol
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    "yes please, a little" then take a little plus plenty of salad and anything else edible that is being served. Proceed to eat the good stuff, mush the offending item around on plate. Done.