Horrible Monday!

Options
This is me, complaining, venting and getting this off my back...

Last week, I exercised all 7 days, I stayed within (or under) my calorie goal and when I weighed this morning, I was up 4 oz. I know 4 oz is not the end of the world, but I busted my butt last week to see results and I was up! I feel horrible this morning so I just wanted to post and see if anyone else has or had this problem before and what should I do this week so I am not up again!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? The scale is only ONE tool to guestimate fitness. If you were exercising more, you're likely holding on to water weight. Drink water to flush it out, and keep up the hard work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hate when that happens- I weigh in daily and I hate when I see a loss and the next day I'm back up- makes me annoyed- BUT- I keep on keeping on- trend line and averages and all.

That being said- I know when I eat sushi- or certain foods- I'm almost always going to be back up- salt... retention that whole bit.

So just be mindful of that- could have been something extra salty you ate!!! You're fine. keep on keeping on!
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. :frown: Just know that our bodies are complicated and one week doesn't a diet make. Make sure you are actually consuming the amount of calories that you think you are. Portion size is important. Also ... patience is the key. Hang in there. Keep doing what you're doing and your hard work will start showing.

Great luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    4 oz is, quite literally, nothing. It's probably water retention or waste.

If you are going to get worked up over 4oz, I highly recommend that you limit the amount of times you weigh yourself otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

If you are going to get worked up over 4oz, I highly recommend that you limit the amount of times you weigh yourself otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.

This ^^^
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

agreed
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts! I'm going to reply to everyone in one post, because I am not sure how to post back with a post attached.

I totally agree with the sodium and try my best to watch it but sometimes it's not possible. I went out to eat Saturday so that could be the result from my meal out.

As for my clothes, my shirts feel looser but my pants feel the same. I have noticed that some of my pants that didn't fit before, now fit which means the ones that feel the same now were probably to tight before, but I didn't want to admit it :(

I know 4oz is not the end of the world like I said, but I weigh weekly and feel like I spent the entire week working and the end result was not what I was looking for with as hard as I worked this week.

Thank you guy's again for the suggestions and motivation, it is a setback (in my mind) but I am definitely not giving up!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    4oz is approximately half a cup of water you might have drank and not weed out. :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts! I'm going to reply to everyone in one post, because I am not sure how to post back with a post attached.

I totally agree with the sodium and try my best to watch it but sometimes it's not possible. I went out to eat Saturday so that could be the result from my meal out.

As for my clothes, my shirts feel looser but my pants feel the same. I have noticed that some of my pants that didn't fit before, now fit which means the ones that feel the same now were probably to tight before, but I didn't want to admit it :(

I know 4oz is not the end of the world like I said, but I weigh weekly and feel like I spent the entire week working and the end result was not what I was looking for with as hard as I worked this week.

Thank you guy's again for the suggestions and motivation, it is a setback (in my mind) but I am definitely not giving up!

I'm not trying to be rude, but you just aren't getting the point. Not only is 4oz not the end of the world, it is SO minor that it can easily be explained by something as silly as what time of day you went to the bathroom. You will have weeks where you are up 5 pounds for no other reason than hormones and sodium intake.

Again, if you are so wound about 4 oz that you feel like it's a setback, then you are going to make yourself nuts.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'd like to point out this is extremely common for women to lose in the torso first and the legs/butt/stomach to hold on till the bitter end.

You're on the right track. Keep going.

At the risk of being stoned- try weighing yourself daily for a week- weigh in the AM- weigh at night- weigh when you get home- be consistent about the conditions under which you weigh yourself- same time of day- same clothes- post bathroom etc etc- and you'll see for several days how much you're weight truly varies. It's a lot- upwards of 5-7 pounds.

Then go back to weekly weigh ins- it'll give you more peace of mind.
  • Ems500c
    Options
    Thank you JoRocka for the support, motivation and time answering my post. (Everyone actually) I will try that and see what happens! I get it's up's and down's but it would be helpful also to see if maybe something I am eating is making it change daily.
  • RollTideLisa
    Options
    I know exactly how you are feeling, I gained for a while while busting my rear working out and eating right. Then came the measurements, I had lost inches everywhere, my clothes are looser. IMO, the scales should just be a guideline, but measuring yourself should be the big way to keep up with your progress. I think you are doing a great job, just keep it up!!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Thank you JoRocka for the support, motivation and time answering my post. (Everyone actually) I will try that and see what happens! I get it's up's and down's but it would be helpful also to see if maybe something I am eating is making it change daily.

I agree with JoRocka, I weigh myself daily. I know there are certain things that I do that can cause my scale to go up. Like if I've done some strength exercises (You Are Your Own Gym) and have created muscle soreness (DOMS) then I know that will cause me to retain some water. Same if I have a meal out where I'm not in control of the sodium in the meal. Knowing that sure makes it easier when I have my official log in on a Saturday and see I haven't lost/have gained because I know within a day or two not only will that water weight be gone, I'll have lost some actual weight too.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My scales always go up after a several consecutive hard workout days. But after a rest day it can drop up to 4 pounds. Pictures and measurements are key!
  • Ems500c
    Options
    Thank you RollTideLisa. I did measure, last Tuesday so I will measure again tomorrow to give it a full week. Not expecting much in a week, but hopefully something! :)
  • JoRocka
    Options

I agree with JoRocka, I weigh myself daily. I know there are certain things that I do that can cause my scale to go up. Like if I've done some strength exercises (You Are Your Own Gym) and have created muscle soreness (DOMS) then I know that will cause me to retain some water. Same if I have a meal out where I'm not in control of the sodium in the meal. Knowing that sure makes it easier when I have my official log in on a Saturday and see I haven't lost/have gained because I know within a day or two not only will that water weight be gone, I'll have lost some actual weight too.

The nerd in me will not allow for incomplete data pool- so I tend to weigh EVER morning that I'm at home. I admit I forget- but I have significantly more data points to pull from long term- which gives you a more accurate representation.

That being said- I am well aware that some people grow to obsess over the scale- I don't- it's just a thing- and it's giving me information- feed back. I don't attach my anything to the number on it- I'm extremely comfortable with both the high and low numbers.
    no worries- we're here to help!!!

Give it a shot- like I said- I weigh daily- regularly- but I have no emotional interest vested into the scale what so ever. Which is why I suggested a week only- many people have to much emotion attached to that number... so if you find its' making you fussy- just do it for the experiment and then go back to normal. :)

or- also- and- because I'm a smalls child- I weigh before and after the bathroom... for science.

The whole process and body is interesting to me- so I find it interesting to watch trend lines and pick out things- like I said- sushi- makes me spike- I usually am up easily 2 pounds- but I use at least 1/2 cup of soy sauce for my sushi (I like salt)... so there is a direct correlation I would have never noticed had I not been weighing regularly.

Give it a shot- see how it works.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Did you really just start a thread complaining that you'd put on 4 oz in weight!? Sometimes words fail me. Take a step back and think it through
  • Ems500c
    Options
    ZARDOZ.. Actually yes I did, if you don't like it don't post or don't read it! Simple as that. I posted this because I worked hard and wanted better results. Maybe someone else had the same thing happen and I wanted feedback, positive or negative so thank's for the negative feedback!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Last week, I exercised all 7 days, I stayed within (or under) my calorie goal

Rest days are really important for multiple reasons, but seeing a loss on the scale is one of them, especially if that's what really motivates you, as it seems it is.

To put this in perspective, I weighed in at 173 this morning. I drank maybe 3oz of water, went for a 25 minute run, came home, saw this post and hopped on the scale: 176.

Your muscles actually retain water after a workout to help them heal. When you're not taking rest days, you constantly end up carrying that water weight. I don't weigh in the day after I workout because I know I'll see an increase, not a decrease on the scale, even if I ate perfectly.

The other thing, staying within/under your calorie goal is great; assuming you're eating enough. If you're exercising daily, make sure your calorie goal reflects that so that you're getting proper nutrition and losing more fat than lean body mass.

Edit: Just to let you know, I think it's great that you're so dedicated to your weight loss; I just want to make sure you don't hurt yourself along the way.
  • Ems500c
    Options
    Thank you 365abdstillal. As I said, I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions! I am learning a lot now, and did not know about muscles retaining water. That is something I need to read more up on. All this is a learning experience and take all the suggestions I can get!