my doctor frustrated me this morning.

Options
13»

Replies

• losingforgood120
    Options
    This is interesting because I had the opposite experience with my doctor.
    So healthy BMI is 18.5–24.9... You told your doctor your goal was 135 (BMI 24.7) in upper part of "normal."
    And he gave you a goal of 125 (BMI 22.9) alittle about the middle of normal BMI.
    I'm 5'5", I told my doctor my goal was 120lbs. (BMI 20- lower end of normal) That's the weight I've been through most of my adulthood so I guess that's why I picked it.
    He said my goal should be 145 (BMI 24.1- upper part of normal.)

It didn't really bother me but I thought it was interesting. Doctors use BMI for weight goals but I wonder what makes them pick a certain weight within the range. Honestly... instead of focusing on an exact weight I think it'd be better to pick a range and assess as you go. I'll decide when I get to 145 if it feels right or not and if I want to switch to body recomp at maintenance or if I want to lose more. How I look and feel will probably be more important indicators than the number on the scale... although it is a good place to start goal setting.

Don't let yourself get to riled up about it. I think if you'd gone to my doctor he would have agreed with your goal. :laugh:
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Doctors are for the most part insensitive or brash in most of there responses, the last one i went to didnt even look at me or introduce himself just read my transcrits off the pc. I also went to a gi doctor cause i thought i was having gallbladder issues per my primary doc advice and i had been exercising and eating right for about 6 mon and had lost 15 lbs. Im 5'2" also and at the time i weighed 135. When i said something about gallbladder issues affecting mostly female fat and over forty and that while i was a female and over 40 i wasnt fat, he said well your bmi IS 25 like really snarky. In other words be proud of yourself for taking the right steps for your health, 1400 calories will cause you to lose, pick up the weights and you might be suprised at how much you enjoy it and seeing results other than the scale. 135 with muscle will put you in the same size clothes as 125 thats skinny fat.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your doctor was being honest with you and giving it to you straight forward. Why are you frustrated with him/her? They are just doing their job. If you had cancer would you not want him/her to shoot straight with you?

I wasn't necessarily frustrated with HIM, but with the appt. I went in there thinking I had made great progress and it turned out it wasn't good enough.

I think I will stick with my original goal and once I hit it, reevaluate.

Don't sweat it. What you're doing to hit your goal IS great progress. Keep up the good work.

I use smaller goals. My goal is not my ideal weight. It's what I find palatable to shoot for right now. Once I hit it I'll set a new goal. This will continue until I reach my maintenance goal. Small steps. You got this.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I just left there wishing I never went in there in the first place.

If that's all it takes to have you questioning yourself like this, perhaps the root problem lies elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing....