Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you like Nutella, just eat Nutella.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt recommend peanut butter actually, it is extremely high in fat and should be eaten in moderation. Instead try things like oatmeal sweet potatoes and rice.
    Nothing wrong with eating fat; fat is good for you.

OP: Nutella, almond butter/cashew butter, whole peanuts or tree nuts, and other more calorie-dense foods are all perfectly good substitutes for peanut butter if you're not a fan of the stuff. Edited for lactose intolerance.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

There are lots of great suggestions, but be careful with Nutella there is a lot of sugar, the hazel nut part is fine but it has 21 gm of sugar per serving - it is not a healthy food - nutritionally it's close to a snickers bar - Eastcoast Jim
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Stir it into oatmeal...whip it with vanilla greek yogurt and eat it with graham crackers...

Or do what I do and eat it out of the jar with a spoon...but you hate the stuff so that doesn't help.

Buy a jar of nutella? Money.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried almond or cashew butter? Those might appeal to you more. If you do not like the taste of pb, it is hard to recommend a way to eat it. Like bananas, the flavor will override other flavors in the recipe.

Its more texture then taste, and I think its moth ball sensation I get when its in my mouth

I hear ya. I like spreading it on dark chocolate, but you could also just eat the actual nuts (if you need to forego the stickiness).
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    soo not to be blunt but you might be the first person ive ever heard of to not like peanut butter.

but anyway almond butter is good. i also bought this cookie butter stuff from trader joes. Best stuff ever. i wish i knew what it was called so i could get more. and since we dont live near a trader joes i cant just go there and look. i look at my local stores and have tried many but cant find what we had there. i wont lie, that jar of cookie butter stuff didn't last a complete week (okay maybe 2 or 3 days) with my wife and i.
  • jasonctyler
    Options
    A spoon usually works pretty well for me...

Joking aside, I'm mildly lactose intolerant so I can understand the dairy woes, but there are ways to get nutrition in other than PB.

Dietary fat won't necessarily make you gain body fat, that's not quite how it works. Peanut butter was recommended because it is calorie dense, and you can usually eat a lot of it. Fact is, most nuts and seeds are, so really any would do.

If you like walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds, they also have spreads you can use instead of peanut butter. Or just eat them as is, sunflower seeds are good too.

As far as ways to make peanut butter more palatable... (I'm still trying to wrap my head around that concept because I love the stuff)... have you ever tried mixing it with bananas, chocolate, coconut, honey, or raisins?

There are tons of desserts you can make that will change peanut butter from salty to savory to sweet or bitter... I'm still leaning towards if you dislike the taste that much, there's really no reason to force yourself to eat it though... Just do a quick search on calorie dense foods. Eating an avocado is another good one that is also high in healthy fats.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the responses, so this may have already been suggested:

almond butter, cashew butter, sunbutter

Also if you want to gain weight, put avocado on everything.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you like cheese, that will for sure boost fat/calories. I hope you will enjoy the cheese. I can't indulge because i still have more weight to lose. Enjoy it for me. I could eat a whole wedge of cheddar right now.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    soo not to be blunt but you might be the first person ive ever heard of to not like peanut butter.

but anyway almond butter is good. i also bought this cookie butter stuff from trader joes. Best stuff ever. i wish i knew what it was called so i could get more. and since we dont live near a trader joes i cant just go there and look. i look at my local stores and have tried many but cant find what we had there. i wont lie, that jar of cookie butter stuff didn't last a complete week (okay maybe 2 or 3 days) with my wife and i.
    I was just there on Friday, and they have a new cookie butter ice cream available! I :heart: Trader Joe's.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I eat peanut butter to lose weight. It keeps me from getting hungry. All natural Skippy smooth peanut butter is a treat for me.

If you want to gain weight you would probably have to eat a jar of it at a time.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm probably repeating everyone else, but other nut butters, avocados, using coconut oil and olive oil to cook foods, nuts, etc are all good ways to add fats and calories in a healthy way. Also, if you love Nutella, in the US you can get Justin's brand nut butters, and there's a chocolate hazelnut spread that has less sugar and more protein than Nutella, as well as a little more fat and fiber. It's pretty tasty, though a little bit nuttier and less sweet than Nutella. Coconut cream is also a good way to get more fat in, and eggs have a good nutritional profile with fat, protein, and vitamins and minerals.
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If it's just the texture of peanut butter you don't like, you might try mixing it into a smoothie. Sometimes for a snack I'll mix together a serving of peanut butter, one or two bananas and a bit of milk to make it more drinkable, though the milk's pretty optional. Otherwise, nothing wrong with straight up nuts, eggs or avocado. :)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    In addition to nuts, this list suggests dried fruits. I'd assume that fruit juice would also help (lots of calories). "High Calorie Non-Dairy Foods"
    --> http://www.livestrong.com/article/91053-high-calorie-nondairy-foods/

You may find some good info on this book promotion site (GoDairyFree). The book is $10 via Kindle. The recipes look like something I wish I could eat. :) "I am too Thin. How can I Prevent Weight Loss on a Dairy-Free Diet?"
    --> http://www.godairyfree.org/ask-alisa/ask-alisa-i-am-too-thin-how-can-i-prevent-further-weight-loss-on-a-dairy-free-diet
    --> Cream Alternatives / Minty Chocolate Shake / Five Minute Nachos / Nutty Guacamole Enchiladas / Sunflower Pesto

If I was skinny and didn't eat dairy, I would probably eat a lot of pasta and pesto. Ohhh, the pesto... Here's a recipe with no dairy:
    --> http://againstallgrain.com/2013/04/05/dairy-free-pesto-sauce/

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt recommend peanut butter actually, it is extremely high in fat and should be eaten in moderation. Instead try things like oatmeal sweet potatoes and rice.

You know, I sometimes wonder if there should be reading comprehension tests before forums allow posting. >_<

OP - try putting the peanut butter into things like pasta, like a chicken pasta with marsala wine, onions, and peanut butter. Delicious.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Well, if you got it at Trader Joe's, it was probably a TJ brand, but there's a cookie butter made by Lotus called Biscoff spread (comes in crunchy - yum!! - and creamy), because it's made from Biscoff cookies. I think that was actually the original, like Nutella was the original chocolate hazelnut spread, but other companies now make similar products. But I think cookie butters are basically vegetable oils and sugar, with a little flour from the cookies -- nothing wrong with that, but none of the fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals you get in a nut butter.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    I personally love it lol...you could add it too smoothies....or try other nut butters like almond butter...or tahini. There are other foods that are high in fat....use olive oil....avocado....cheeses....full cream milk etc
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm giving shade to the guy that said PB is high in fat. That's not a bad thing and it's calorie dense which is GOOD for weight gain.
    I suggest adding yams to your diet. When gaining you should eat aroind 50-60% carbs as fat makes you loose weight. Fat + carbs is the best combination for weight gain. Make sure it's quality carbs and fats.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

There are lots of great suggestions, but be careful with Nutella there is a lot of sugar, the hazel nut part is fine but it has 21 gm of sugar per serving - it is not a healthy food - nutritionally it's close to a snickers bar - Eastcoast Jim

putting on mass means some sacrifices must be made- if Nutella must be on the menu daily- then so be it.

Going over on sugar content isn't going to be detrimental as long as she is eating her other calories in a balanced manner.