How many pounds lost until people noticed weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think it depends where you're starting from and how far you have to go, but I read somewhere that close family and friends who see you all the time really start to notice at around 20lbs and everyone else starts noticing around 30lbs. I found the 30lbs thing true with my coworkers, but I mean I wear scrubs to work so no one could tell until I wore the next size down so. -shrug- My MIL started commenting on my weight loss right at the 20lbs loss mark, though. Lol
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My fiance was the first to notice. None of my family has noticed yet. To be honest, I think he only noticed because he saw I was making changes in my lifestyle, and he used to watch my battle with the closet every morning when getting ready for work. I'm only down 10 pounds now, and on a journey to lose another 80...But time will tell when other people start noticing :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'3' and started @ 209 lbs.

It took ~20 lbs for the first comments to come in. I'm now ~30 lbs down and am getting them constantly.

ETA: I have 3 points to add:

1. In general, people who see you daily won't notice it as much as people who see you less often. The people you see all the time adjust to how you look daily, so its less noticeable (they're seeing you at every pound lost). The people who see you less frequently see a bigger change since you have lost more weight since the last time they saw you.

2. It also depends on if they know that you're trying to lose weight. My husband was the first to say anything, but he obviously knows that I'm trying. So he sees the small changes. Coworkers who knew I was trying noticed well before coworkers who didn't.

3. Many times people notice, but won't say anything. For instance, my parents still have not said anything about my loss. It's very obvious at this point AND they know that I'm trying. But weight is a touchy issue, so many people won't say anything no matter what.