Margarine vs Butter?

Options
For awhile now I had thought that buying low fat margarine was better and healthier than real butter. I made a switch to using real butter for a month and I've lost weight. I thought the 100 calories from just one tablespoon would kill my calories but not really. I was also talking to my sister who's an RN for 20 years and she told me that she's been using real butter for 15 years.

So my question is... What do you think? What do you use?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    KG_Pure_Irish_Butter-604x414.png
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,570 Member
    Options
    I use the spreadable butter with canola oil if I am going to use anything at all. Margarine doesn't come into my house. The taste is better and the fat in it won't kill you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your calorie and macro goals it's largely irrelevant/personal taste.

I have marge on my toast (it spreads better from the fridge) and cook with butter (obviously tastier for sauces)..
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Real butter.

Both for flavor and simplicity. Fat is tasty! Everything in moderation right?
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm way more concerned about the overly processed fake stuff in margarine than any of the fat that's in butter.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your calorie and macro goals it's largely irrelevant/personal taste.

I have marge on my toast (it spreads better from the fridge) and cook with butter (obviously tastier for sauces)..

Butter, baby. All day long. Fat macros on lock.
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We switched about 6-8 months ago to only butter. I no longer buy margarine of any kind. I use a butter bell to keep it in so it's always soft which means I can use less because it spreads thinner.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Real Butter and not that fake margarine crap. My husband asked me to switch years ago to butter and it took me some time to adjust to the taste. It was much sweeter than I liked. I can not imagine ever eating margarine again.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Definitely real butter.
  • fpsmoto
    fpsmoto Posts: 31
    Options
    I've read studies that have disproved that margarine is better for you than butter. This is what I use:
    0007273000620_500X500.jpg
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Lovely, lovely butter...
  • ThinkThin0414
    Options
    I started using I Can't believe it's not butter spray made with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    0g Trans Fat
    0 Calories
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Real butter for me
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm way more concerned about the overly processed fake stuff in margarine than any of the fat that's in butter.
    This. I have recently started using coconut oil instead of butter when I sautee things as well.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

What does this sentence even mean?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Real Organic Salted Butter :smile: I use salted butter and that is usually the only salt on a great deal of my food.

I tried to limit my butter intake for some reason (one of those trying to fix something that's not broken moments) and this lasted less than 24 hours, I was a mess!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

qft
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    KG_Pure_Irish_Butter-604x414.png

This!!
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I use margarine. has nothing to do with the fat in butter but butter to me seems really salty and I like the way margarine spreads
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    real butter for me! sometimes i only use a half a tablespoon instead of a whole, but generally it doesn't affect my calories too much. it tastes better, so to me, it's worth fitting in (same with regular mayo).