What's on your "No" list?

Options

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't have many absolute no's, but I definitely can't have potato chips or any kind of cake or doughnut in my house. I know I wouldn't be satisfied with a reasonable portion of those.

Some changes I made though:

- swapped out half and half cream for black coffee (still getting used to that one, but I hate milk in coffee)
    - no sodas, except for stevia sweetened Zevia
    - I've dropped pasta for a while, until I can be sure that I am staying on the right track
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese, low fat mayonnaise, anything pretending to be something tasty but failing like sugar free syrup, "diet" toppings... I think the fastest way to make me fall off the wagon is punish me with "diet" food. The real thing in moderation, pretty please!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I put walnuts and sea urchin on my no list.

Beef liver too.

Ha-ha! OK, I'll eat walnuts, but I concur on the urchins and beef liver. I also will add pate and caviar ~ definitely on my http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com list.
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners. I feel so much better without them, and cutting them out has made it a lot easier to indulge in other delicious things (buttershots, chocolate, pie, coconut ice cream, I could go on) without going overboard.

Also, meat and dairy. I'm allergic to dairy and I don't eat meat. Doesn't mean others shouldn't eat meat, it just means I don't. Eat what makes you feel good.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    When I started this a couple years ago, my "no" list was quite long, but now that I'm more confident about portion control I've lightened up some.

Things I haven't let back in my pantry are sugary cereals, ramens and other uber salty processed foods, white bread (I'll eat a piece when I go out, but don't keep it in the house), artificial sweeteners and "no-calorie" foods. Juice was something I eliminated, but now I'll have some occasionally, but in small quantities and I usually make it myself. It was a happy day in my house when I allowed ice cream back in the freezer! Chips have made their way back in to the house, but I now prefer those that aren't overly seasoned. It's funny how when you cut back on heavily salted foods, your taste buds adjust and you start to appreciate how food actually tastes. At least that has been my experience. I fully buy into the 80/20 concept because 100% was not realistic or sustainable for me.

Then there is the food on my ick list that is forever banned....shellfish, liver, any offal really, sushi, acorn squash, lamb, goat, goat milk, goat cheese, veal, nutritional yeast. Salmon was on the Ick list for most of my life, but about a year ago I gave it a try and actually liked it. I try shrimp every once in a while, but it's still disgusting!
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    I don't have a no list....but I do have a "I don't want it bad enough to be fat list". As with all things, it's what works for me and it is sustainable. I don't die from not eating these foods...

White Rice, Potatoes, White flour, Red Meat, Sugar, GMOs and anything overly processed in general.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Nutella as I have zero ability to moderate it.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Grains, starchy vegetables, processed foods, industrial vegetable oils (high PUFA), sugary snacks and treats including cake.

But realistically I still eat those from time to time - otherwise work lunches, birthday parties, night outs etc. would become too complicated. I guess the key is to try to eat as optimally as you can with every meal, so that exceptions really stay exceptions (avoid the slippery slope).
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I gave up cheese curls (not cheetos as I actually like cheaper brands such as "Rico's") in 2008 and to this day I dream of them. I can eat any amount. Non-stop.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Soda is the only thing on my NO list.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's funny! I can do the moderation thing but if I have peanut butter in the house or granola, it starts massively creeping up!

And after last nights experience, no more baked beans and poached eggs :(
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The only thing close to being a "no" for me is most fast food and that's mostly because of the atrocious sodium levels in it. The calories I can sort of budget for but the salt is a killer. I try to limit myself to 1500mg of sodium per day. A Big Mac and fries is about 1250mg of sodium by itself.

When I first started getting serious about getting healthy, driving past a McDonalds, Wendy's, BK, Taco Bell, etc was tough. There was a craving to stop and get something. Now, those places don't even register. I can be starving and drive past them without thinking about stopping.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've learned the hard way that total abstinence backfires for me. That said, I have to really curtail my intake of pizza, cheese, ice cream, and nachos.
  • suej19
    suej19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wine and cheese - I love both and can't be happy with a little so have none.

Since joining MFP (4 weeks today) I've had two small glasses of white wine and 200g of mature cheddar.

Do miss them but I'm being brave! :drinker:
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There is more on my 'no' list than my 'yes' list, but it's only because I have IBD and I have a huge range of trigger foods which set it off. No food on the planet is worth the horrific cramps and inability to leave the bathroom for days on end.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    My "No" list is generally to avoid any products with diet or health claims on the package, and anything I don't like the taste of.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods we all try to give up completely when starting a new diet. What have you banned (or tried to ban) from your life? Pizza, pasta, soda, and red meat are on mine. Have you had long term success with banning these foods from your diet?
    I've banned nothing except Peanut butter because it tasted vile
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yeah haven't banned anything, merely reduced the amounts that I can have
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Nothing, really.
    I've kind of cut out beer in favor of liquor and low-cal mixers, but I will still have a good craft beer or porter on occasion.