Thoughts on Dr. Hyman's detox diet

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't miss bread and pizza (or pasta) when I don't eat them -- I often go days without either -- but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to have them when I want them, they aren't bad for you. I also don't see how one could "crave" the carbs in, say, pizza vs. the fat and protein. Anyway, I don't really crave these foods, I just enjoy them on occasion (and even with bread only in a combination with protein and fat, as plain bread or pasta does not appeal). Sounds like more anti carb fanaticism.
    So after the 10 days were up, you can ease some of those things back in but to tell you the truth, my taste buds did change to where I didn't crave bread or pizza or pasta anymore. I wanted greens, lean meats and whole food. That is what appealed to me. So I kept going. Within 6 months I had lost 30 pounds.

Again, I don't crave these foods or particularly like them more than the other foods I eat (which include greens and lean meat and fish and other vegetables and fruits and eggs and oats, etc.). I do like them, though, so eat them as part of my overall diet. Why single them out? Seems odd.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't miss bread and pizza (or pasta) when I don't eat them -- I often go days without either -- but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to have them when I want them, they aren't bad for you. I also don't see how one could "crave" the carbs in, say, pizza vs. the fat and protein. Anyway, I don't really crave these foods, I just enjoy them on occasion (and even with bread only in a combination with protein and fat, as plain bread or pasta does not appeal). Sounds like more anti carb fanaticism.
    So after the 10 days were up, you can ease some of those things back in but to tell you the truth, my taste buds did change to where I didn't crave bread or pizza or pasta anymore. I wanted greens, lean meats and whole food. That is what appealed to me. So I kept going. Within 6 months I had lost 30 pounds.

Again, I don't crave these foods or particularly like them more than the other foods I eat (which include greens and lean meat and fish and other vegetables and fruits and eggs and oats, etc.). I do like them, though, so eat them as part of my overall diet. Why single them out? Seems odd.

So much this. I eat and enjoy greens, other vegetables, fruit, and oats. I also sometimes eat and enjoy bread, pizza, and pasta. It isn't an either/or.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    The last thing you want to do is take health advice from people on these forums. This is one of the worst online communities I've ever seen. I've read several threads recently, and everyone looking for advice is bombarded with sarcasm.

I'd trust your doctor over these people. They tend to over-react to several key-words; detox, toxins, sugar, and many others.

His program is a good starting point to make some positive changes in your life.

Strong first post.

Nobody overreacts to the word "sugar" except when someone tries to claim that fruit sugar is somehow better for you than table sugar. The sugars, in and of themselves, are the same, nutritionally.

Also, while you're right that there's a lot of sarcasm on the boards, the reason for that is that we all hear the same silly proclamations of things based in woo over and over. Calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. Cardio is good for heart health. Weight lifting is good for strength gains. Anything that claims to help weight loss but doesn't directly result in calorie deficit (drinking more water, eating foods that keep you full longer) is probably woo.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hyman is a pretty common Jewish name. And, despite the use of the word "detox," which IS silly, and despite the fact that the author of the book seems kind of in it for the book sales, it sounds, OP, as if your doctor is trying to steer you toward a fairly sensible and balanced diet, which can only be a good idea :) . Maybe she thought that the eating pattern laid out in that book would be a nice, easy starting point. Not sure where the part about juice cleansing came in, but I'd steer clear of that, myself. For the rest of it, it doesn't sound as if you really need to spend money on the book to take advantage of the core idea, which seems to be building your meals around lean meat and vegetables. I don't like smoothies myself, but many people do. If you want to try the smoothie breakfast, you could use that recipe or search for others - I've seen recipes here on these boards, and others elsewhere on the internet.

I think the main thing that people here would agree on is that there is no magic formula that will melt the pounds - either in a smoothie recipe or in a diet prescription. You could follow that book's diet, or just generally follow the guidelines it seems to lay out for a daily menu, or just eat less of whatever foods you currently cook and enjoy. As long as you consume fewer calories than you burn each day, you will lose weight. Beyond losing weight, a body often functions well when you feed it good proteins and fats and vitamins and minerals, which are provided by the meats and veggies and fruits and stuff described above.

If you find it easier to eat what someone else tells you, then do that. If you find it easier to create your own menu, then do that. Count your calories by weighing, measuring, and logging, and all will be well. That's pretty much it.