Options
124»

Replies

• jonnysharpe
    jonnysharpe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    please don't

or start a blog .. you have one up there .. that's the place for your unique and individual story

Ok then, wouldn't want to disprove anyone. That would be awful
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nm
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    Genius
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    hjlf wrote:
    I have heard about this james duncan diet and I wondered if anyone had tried it?

Apparently its a chemical diet and so the meal plan must be followed to a tee which is fine.

I have been eating clean for over a month now and haven't had any success and I have an event in a couple of weeks which I would ideally like to slim down for.

I havent done any diet like this before but I am more than aware that its possible some of the weight may wriggle its way back on after and I after reading reviews its likely to just be water weight so no lectures on fad dieting please!

I am just looking into something to kickstart my loss because despite doing the 30day shred for 20 days non stop and eating well Im not seeing any results and its frustrating!
    Highlighted flags in this necropost.
    Also, if you look at her profile, she started with 42 lb to lose... yet wanted to crash diet to lose 14 in a week!

jonny wrote:
    I lost 8 pounds (or 3.5kg) over the last week...
    I'm not into long-term diets that take months, I'm too impatient...
    I'm not doing this diet again, I'm just resuming a healthier lifestyle
    Your ticker shows that your total goal is only 7kg.
    It's not healthy to lose so much so quickly when you have so little to lose, and from your picture it looks like
    you're already at a reasonable weight.
    And yes, it's obvious that you're impatient, otherwise you wouldn't have tried the weight equivalent of a "get
    rich quick" scheme.
    Good that you've discovered/admitted that a VLCD is not a healthy lifestyle.
    Unless you're very short (like, 5' or less), 1000 cal a day isn't healthy. If you're morbidly obese and under the
    supervision of a doctor, it could be done short-term. (And if you've had stomach surgery, you'll be under the
    supervision of a doctor the rest of your life, with restrictions on what you can eat, and lifelong health problems.)

When I was getting into the groove of this 'eat less, move more' thing last spring & summer - and mind you, I
    started out more than 100 lb over the top end of a healthy weight range - I had several weeks where I lost 5 lb.
    I was also exercising at least an hour 6 days a week and eating in the range of 1600 cal/day... which is what my
    doctor & dietician recommended at that time; now I'm (supposed to be) aiming for 1400, because I've lost nearly
    80 lb.

Just as importantly, this calculator tells me that I've at least maintained lean body mass.
    (It actually says I've gained some, but I think it's measurement error.)
    So all that loss was fat. (Ew.)

The diet didn't make me feel weak or feeble, I was able to exercise as usual. I was just hungry.
    It didn't impair my immune system... I can't see how it could?
    Because your body didn't have the things it needed to run properly, and to fuel its defense against illness, and
    to rebuild the cells which were attacked by the virus, etc.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    please don't

or start a blog .. you have one up there .. that's the place for your unique and individual story

Trust me, no-one is scared of being 'disproven'. It's just forum etiquette; could you imagine if we ALL started a thread with our 'updates'?

"Today I ate a handful of nuts and a salad consisting of nothing but lettuce because I am on a VLCD and then I walked for half an hour and this is totally safe and healthy and I am so going to lose half a stone in a day".

Not only would this clog up the forums and make the people who want to genuinely ask questions and have debates be completely unable to find anything and eventually stop using the forums, but quite frankly, I would much rather have a heated debate about a topic than read updates from someone I don't know on a diet I don't care about. That is the reason the blog option is there.
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    please don't

Trust me, no-one is scared of being 'disproven'. It's just forum etiquette; could you imagine if we ALL started a thread with our 'updates'?

"Today I ate a handful of nuts and a salad consisting of nothing but lettuce because I am on a VLCD and then I walked for half an hour and this is totally safe and healthy and I am so going to lose half a stone in a day".

Not only would this clog up the forums and make the people who want to genuinely ask questions and have debates be completely unable to find anything and eventually stop using the forums, but quite frankly, I would much rather have a heated debate about a topic than read updates from someone I don't know on a diet I don't care about. That is the reason the blog option is there.

Point taken. I didn't start this thread by the way. I was just contributing. I was going to post progress purely to prove/disprove the sustainability of the weight loss, a few months after the initial LCD diet had ended, as that seemed to be a key point of debate.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You misunderstand, this was just the first step towards resuming a healthier lifestyle. I led a fairly healthy lifestyle before this, but was overweight by about 1 stone and could not shift the excess.
    This was always just a platform to kick-on from.
    Also, it's a low calorie diet, not a VLCD. And you're guessing at where the weight loss came from.
    Way too many cynics. I actually did the diet, have demonstrated that it works and am sharing the info for others.
    I'm not into long-term diets that take months, I'm too impatient. I have an open mind towards all other options and opinions, but it would be interesting to hear from people who've done it. Not everyone is the same, therefore it's not a 'bad idea' for everyone. I'm sure it is for some, but let's not generalise.

How is an unhealthy diet plan the first step towards a "healthier lifestyle"?

Your n=1 study doesn't prove anything. In fact, the vast majority that don't maintain the weight loss prove you are the exception.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    (deep breath)
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. To reassure you, I'm doing healthy weight loss right now. The very short-term LCD worked for me at that time. I learned a great deal from it and accept it's not the magic solution in the long-term.
    I will continue to post my progress

I hope it made you learn that your body needs certain amounts of nutrients and that you weren't reaching those on that diet as far as I could see on your diary.
  • jonnysharpe
    Options
    (deep breath)
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. To reassure you, I'm doing healthy weight loss right now. The very short-term LCD worked for me at that time. I learned a great deal from it and accept it's not the magic solution in the long-term.
    I will continue to post my progress

I hope it made you learn that your body needs certain amounts of nutrients and that you weren't reaching those on that diet as far as I could see on your diary.

Definitely. Very low on some things, particularly iron and calcium. It actually made me spot deficiency in my regular eating too, so it was a real learning curve
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have *actually* done this diet. I followed it to a T and I lost 5 pounds. I had worked over the previous weeks to get rid of water weight that I was holding and lost ten pounds of water weight-- I believe that if I had started dieting with his diet, I absolutely would have lost a total of 15 from it. It's a great diet, well balanced, but very very hard to follow. I ate between 500-800 each day; there was one day that was about 1000 calories I believe.

It's not "bull****"; it's actually quite sound. I'd say people that don't think it works haven't actually followed it or are consuming extra calories and not logging or forgetting about them.

It is against the MFP community rules to recommend diets that promote severe, unhealthy calorie deficits. This is NOT safe.