what to eat if you dont like salad

Options
13»

Replies

• Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I bring a whole wheat tortilla wrap most of the time for lunch (I put in grilled shrimp or chicken, avocado, salsa, black olives)
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for vegetables choices - broccoli, green beans, kale, and collards work. I also like eating vegetable (spinach, onions, peppers and tomatoes) omlets for weekend breakfast.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    see if your library has this cookbook--Moosewood Daily Special--it's a soup and salad cookbook that gives the calories for every single recipe and the salads are not greens/veggies, there are quinoa salads, faro salads, spelt berry, lots of interesting and healthy pasta salads + the soup that goes with them. I own it and my copy is falling apart! love the other "salad" options. For me, I can barely look another bowl of arugula in the face, but it's a good way to get a huge amount of veggies down my throat in one fell swoop + lots of bulk for not much calories.
  • mumabearshaz
    Options
    Just a few suggestions Kippers, Sardines,Steamed Vegatables,Baked beans,Eggs smashed,scrambled,boiled,poached,chopped or in mini quiches with spring onions low fat cottage cheese ,grated carrot & zucchini yum. Maybe fruit salad instead of garden salad. I'm sure there is many more it's really late but thought I'd try to help. Hope you find some interesting alternatives along your healthy journey :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of salad unless there is tons of goat cheese and candied nuts in it. lol Which I do eat and fit into my daily calories.

However, wanting to get the benefits of vegetables into my diet (which I've always struggled with as there aren't too many that I like), I have found that texture plays a big role in veggies being palatable for me. A couple of things that have worked:

- raw veggie sticks with a light artichoke dip and hot sauce

- chopped fresh spinach wilted into chili, taco meat, etc.

- lots and lots of greens in my protein shakes

- steamed broccoli or green beans sauteed with a generous amount of butter and garlic :)

Try different things to see what you enjoy.
  • Darian101
    Darian101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com rocks! Tons of options for most diets, and plenty are not salad. Most aren't salads, for that matter. I know you said you don't like salad, and I don't really expect you to convert on this random internet advice, but I never liked salads at all until I started eating this one (recipe below). I take it almost every day to work, now. It's so easy and so delicious.

About 2 c. of baby spinach (or whatever green leafy item you might)
    1/2 of an avocado
    1 chicken breast (grilled with whatever spices)
    some diced tomatoes
    salt & pepper
    1-2 tsp of olive oil
    1 T. lemon juice.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I could never eat a regular leafy salad as a meal. It's not a meal, it's a side dish!

But there are definitely things you can make which contain salad but mixed up with so much other tasty stuff that they don't feel like a salad. Roasted butternut squash or sweet potato, mixed with a little harissa paste, some chicken breast, some rocket or spinach or other salad leaves, tomato and whatever else you have around - yum.

I also made a delicious salad the other day with red rice, grated carrot, spring onion, red pepper, red chilli and lime juice, and had it with some spicy marinated chicken.

If you prefer hot food (I can only eat salad in summer - can't stand the thought of having more than a few leaves as a side in winter!) then just put tonnes of steamed or roast veg on your plate with whatever meat you're having and season well with salt and pepper.

You can also make great vegetable curries and stir fries where the majority of your meal is vegetables. Tonight I'm making a thai green curry using aubergine, red pepper, asparagus, baby sweetcorn, red onion and soya beans.
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love salad.. and if would eat them every day if I had time to prep all the goodies I like in it!

and yes it fills me

and no I don't feel deprived

alternatives hmmmmmm anything really
  • joycepenman
    joycepenman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everyone for your tips really appreciate it....and will
    put them into practice
    i'm determined to lose the weight for my health and well being
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I bring a whole wheat tortilla wrap most of the time for lunch (I put in grilled shrimp or chicken, avocado, salsa, black olives)
    A nice whole grain tortilla with chicken breast and (frozen) grilled peppers and some humus. YUM.
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For a quick, filling hot lunch I use

1/2 pack Sainsbury's mixed stir fry vegetables
    100g Sainsburys Basics Cooked sliced chicken breast,
    1 tbsp light soy sauce,
    1 tbsp water,
    1 tsp Hoisin sauce
    large pinch on Chinese Five Spice powder

mix together in bowl and microwave on full for 2 minutes 30 seconds
    about 220 calories so room for bread or fruit if you're still hungry. Or you could add a portion of rice noodles for about 120 calories.