• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is why I own a cat.

tumblr_lmm5tdgBHJ1qazkdco1_500.gif?1323991357
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also, I want to punch people in the neck who refer to their animals as "fur kids" Animals aren't kids, they are animals

Totally. When other people refer to the creatures they love in ways that I would never do it, it definitely makes me violently angry. How dare they do something--or, literally, just *say* something--that I don't approve of?!

Definitely deserving of my personal rage and violent wishes.

:-D
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I don't happen to spread my dog's crap to the lawns of others, expect them to accept her in their areas, take holiday photos with my canine, or anything of that nature.

But I hate children. Like effing HATE 99% of children. I just ask for people to give me the same respect I give them with my dog with their children.

:laugh: I love kids but I respect your honesty. You crack me up.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I dont like people who are over-zealot about their little brats, they cause much more damage than a "rabid" dog would. I've witness a little brat poo so much that it slit out the diaper and all over someones brand new carpet. My dog has never done that and never will. And your yard isnt that great either, it was made to be poo'd on. Get over yourself, you and your, I'm assuming, crappy yard arent that great.

z205099164.gif

OP, I understand you don't want dogs at your house, that's fine. It's your house. But calling them rabid dog owners because of it? Hmmm. How is this different from people who bring their kids everywhere? Can I call them Rabid Parents? Honestly, I'd rather deal with dogs over kids any day of the week.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love animals and I agree that some people seem to be a little over the top about their pets sometimes, but there are some people who are unable to have children for various reasons. I know multiple people who are in that position and they treat their animals as though they are their children.

I also know people who detest children and I know pets that behave better than many of my friends' kids.

To each their own.

ETA: I'm a crazy cat lady, but I do plan to have children in the near future.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think people that don't have pets seem to ignore the obvious here:

Pets, literally, cannot take care of themselves. The pet owner is 100% directly responsible for the life and health of said pet(s). If someone gets a dog, then from the moment they take the dog until the moment that dog passes, that someone is responsible for that dog.

You can't go on vacation without figuring out what to do with your dog.

You can't go on an overnight somewhere without figuring out what to do with your dog.

You can't leave the dog alone for 12 hours without figuring out what to do with your dog.

If you are not the kind of person who wants to be saddled with that responsibility, do not get a dog. But, holy ****, do not judge someone for not going on vacation without trying to figure out what's best for her dog first. That's outrageous.

OP's friend sounds like a responsible pet owner.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You sound like a horrible friend. It's one thing to not want a dog at your house, it's entirely another to be so judgmental about it that you post to a public forum to complain and make fun of someone you call your friend.

My guess is you make her uncomfortable and she wants her pet around to quell her anxiety and provide some comfort so she can tolerate being around you. It's probably a relief she has an excuse not to come over to your house anymore.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pets, literally, cannot take care of themselves. The pet owner is 100% directly responsible for the life and health of said pet(s). If someone gets a dog, then from the moment they take the dog until the moment that dog passes, that someone is responsible for that dog.

You can't go on an overnight somewhere without figuring out what to do with your dog.

You can't leave the dog alone for 12 hours without figuring out what to do with your dog.

If you are not the kind of person who wants to be saddled with that responsibility, do not get a dog. But, holy ****, do not judge someone for not going on vacation without trying to figure out what's best for her dog first. That's outrageous.

And a high five for you too!

z205099164.gif
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If its a puppy..I could see. But if its a puppy, you gotta accept that you can't hang at your friend's house, you gotta be home takin care of that dang puppy.

I'd like to think i'm pretty normal. Going on vacation in a few weeks and mommy is taking the dog. We don't like to let him be alone for more than 8 hours or so.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just like children, it makes all the difference if it is well behaved or not. I am, years later, still traumatized whenever a large jumpy, barking, snapping, scary dog comes running towards me, after being mauled in a public park as a child then again on a hiking trail as a teen. I have heard the phrase, "don't be scared, s/he's super friendly if you can just relax" and gone on to see the dog gnaw on the owner then be swatted by the owner later or held down or yelled at in frustration. It seems to me that people who obsess over their dogs (that are not well behaved) and bring them everywhere are overcompensating publicly for their shortcomings as patient trainers, possibly also because they are afraid to leave their dogs at home alone.

I've met lots of very sweet dogs, some abused rescue dogs, raised by loving owners who do travel around and can hang out with their dogs in tow without causing any strife, but these pups usually have gone to some sort of training school or the owners have invested a good deal of time socializing and reinforcing good behaviour.

I don't have dogs or children, but I have spent the last 4 years of my life devoted to developmental psychology and do work with kids. Not all parents (pet parents too) are created equal. Simply being a human is no right to spawn, or to keep animals. It takes education on the parent's part, devoting time, patience, positive reinforcement, consistent attention, and consistent use of the right kind of discipline to nurture well behaved creatures of human and other mammalian varieties. I wouldn't want to hang out with a friend if they had no control over their pet just as much as if they had a really poorly behaved child that was obviously the product of negligence.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Pffffft, whatever. Everybody loves my puppies.

SICKPUPPIES_zpsb18d75ca.jpg
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You obviously have a problem with your friend being a responsible and loving pet owner.

If you don't like that the dog poop's then ask your friend to pick it up? Simple.

Go to her house if you don't want the dog coming over.

I have a 80 pound dog who is very rambunctious so I only bring her to people's houses with their permission as well as making sure she will have to space to run around outside.

I don't leave her with just anybody while on vacation because she is like a child to me-- you can scoff at that all you want but I care for her and nurture her, that's what responsible people and pet owners do. I chose to protect her and care for her so if I can't find someone suitable to watch her, I don't go.

ETA: I'm one of those people-- I have my dog on the Christmas Card!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

:love:
  • LvnSuccess
    Options
    Geez, get a grip OP. I would not nor would I ever insist on taking my dog to another persons home. Yes, it's a bit odd but just say no. I have to skip vacations and I'm perfectly okay with that. I've taken vacations before and my dog starves herself the entire time I'm gone. She goes into deep depression. She's perfect during the day when I'm at work and other times I'm out. She has such a painful time when I'm gone overnight. It's not worth it to do that to my precious dog. I adopted her in 2005. She was abused in ways no one should ever have to endure, she was starved and had a broken spirit. I rescued her initially but she's rescued me time and time again. There's no way I could ever express how faithful she has been to me. When my best friend of 20 years died suddenly that dog did not leave my side. You obviously don't have the capacity to understand that type of unconditional love. It sounds like your "friend" is better off without you. Separate ways and find some friends that have the same type of hatred.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I've met lots of very sweet dogs, some abused rescue dogs, raised by loving owners who do travel around and can hang out with their dogs in tow without causing any strife, but these pups usually have gone to some sort of training school or the owners have invested a good deal of time socializing and reinforcing good behavior.

<<<< Ralphie here. This is the truth. My people have helped me learn to behave, to do my business when and where, and know when rough-housing is appropriate and when lying down is what's required. And the trainers taught my people how to relate to me so I could do all those good things and understand how I can make my people happy. Because that is what I want to.....

SQUIRREL!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I was just remembering yesterday how my friend's little girl was giggling and pointing at me saying "her dog is her kiiiid!" I didn't have kids then, and I took her anywhere she was allowed to go. I still base my activities on how long the dogs will be in the house, if nobody else is home to care for them. It's a responsibility I accepted when I adopted my dogs.

marry me :heart:

She's already engaged to me!!!! HUSSY! :angry: :explode:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I've met lots of very sweet dogs, some abused rescue dogs, raised by loving owners who do travel around and can hang out with their dogs in tow without causing any strife, but these pups usually have gone to some sort of training school or the owners have invested a good deal of time socializing and reinforcing good behavior.

<<<< Ralphie here. This is the truth. My people have helped me learn to behave, to do my business when and where, and know when rough-housing is appropriate and when lying down is what's required. And the trainers taught my people how to relate to me so I could do all those good things and understand how I can make my people happy. Because that is what I want to.....

SQUIRREL!

Ralphie you are more than welcome to come to my house and play. My humans are super nice and love dogs. There's a big yard and lots of toys and no kids to pull our ears or tails...oh its so much fun!

Your new friend,
    Archer
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's OK if you love your pets, you just can't 'love' your pets.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is why I own a cat.

tumblr_lmm5tdgBHJ1qazkdco1_500.gif?1323991357

Gawd, I love this video!
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't happen to spread my dog's crap to the lawns of others, expect them to accept her in their areas, take holiday photos with my canine, or anything of that nature.

But I hate children. Like effing HATE 99% of children. I just ask for people to give me the same respect I give them with my dog with their children.

:laugh: I love kids but I respect your honesty. You crack me up.

:happy: