Rabid Dog Owners

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I was just remembering yesterday how my friend's little girl was giggling and pointing at me saying "her dog is her kiiiid!" I didn't have kids then, and I took her anywhere she was allowed to go. I still base my activities on how long the dogs will be in the house, if nobody else is home to care for them. It's a responsibility I accepted when I adopted my dogs.

marry me :heart:

She's already engaged to me!!!! HUSSY! :angry: :explode:

:laugh: :smooched:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am glad that people love their kids and their dogs and whatever else they're taking care of...but honestly, even though I have loved my past pets dearly, I don't know if I'll get more. A lot of responsibility goes into that and I don't want it.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I am glad that people love their kids and their dogs and whatever else they're taking care of...but honestly, even though I have loved my past pets dearly, I don't know if I'll get more. A lot of responsibility goes into that and I don't want it.

Will you take me for a walk? Just once? I just met you and I love you!!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    because adopting a pet is taking on a lot of responsibility. you are their only provider and caregiver. my dog eats when i put out his food, he gets fresh water when i fill the water bowl, he gets to pee and poop when i open the back door. if i'm not home to do these things, and he's not out with me, then guess what he doesn't do? he does NOT grow thumbs so that he can open the pantry, the fridge and the back door (respectively).

before i adopted him, he nearly starved to death. and i am the reason that will never happen to him again. i made that promise when i adopted him.

if that means i don't go out sometimes, or i don't stay as late when i do? i'm ok with that. b/c he's the ONE being on the planet who is ALWAYS happy to see me. and my greatest wish in life is to be HALF the person he thinks i am.

Very much this!

I respect OP not wanting her friend's dog in her house or on her property, not everyone is a dog person, and I also respect her friend's decision to not go to OP's house.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Closest thing I have to a pet is the four cats that hang at my door, I give em food & water and in return they know better than to come inside :tongue:
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Threads like this remind me of why I don't have friends... :laugh:

I'm not a crazy pet owner, but I love animals, and children.. thus I'm never welcomed into anyone's home. :sad:

My cat and my two year old keep me in plenty of company though. :heart: :smooched:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My dogs are adorable and universally beloved.

Tell me otherwise, and I will cut you. Fo realz. *3 snaps in a z formation**foams at mouth*

I even take my critters to work. It's an office building full of dogs! I love it, and get to pet like 18 dogs every time I go in. Be jealous.
  • SaintTawny
    SaintTawny Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What are they compensating for? Sometimes their inability to have children, whether the reason is medical or personal. Sometimes they're not compensating for anything, they just have a strong bond with their dog, like I do. Certain breeds are more prone to it, and individual dogs vary, but some just NEED their owner to be around. Is it so bad for your friend to feel not only wanted but needed by someone/thing?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Tell me otherwise, and I will cut you. Fo realz. *3 snaps in a z formation**foams at mouth*

I even take my critters to work. It's an office building full of dogs! I love it, and get to pet like 18 dogs every time I go in. Be jealous.

I'm jealous! My boss used to let me bring my fosters to work so I could socialize them. I adopted my last one, so I don't do it anymore.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

I'm jealous! My boss used to let me bring my fosters to work so I could socialize them. I adopted my last one, so I don't do it anymore.

Yay for fostering and adoption! You're awesome! One of the main reasons I'm saving for a house is so I can foster. It takes a special person so mega cheers to you :drinker: :drinker:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. ” - Anatole France
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I love my dogs. And my kids. Part of the reason I do is that neither waste their time or energy actively being jerks about other peoples lives and choices. They might make mistakes, or poop random places, and sometimes they are obnoxious - but they never go out of their way to make another person feel bad. So there's that.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Yay for fostering and adoption! You're awesome! One of the main reasons I'm saving for a house is so I can foster. It takes a special person so mega cheers to you :drinker: :drinker:

It wasn't the plan. After one of my dogs passed away, I was only going to keep one of my own and foster a second from then on, but she wasn't happy with her adopted family, so they returned her to me. I had to adopt her, right?! :wink: Good luck with the house!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Well, my dog saved my life.

Did he jump into water while I was drowning? Pull me out of a fire? Jump on a bomb?

No, no, but he did teach me how to love, not only others, but myself. Cooper came to me and had been abandoned and abused. He was terrified of everything, and almost everyone. I had to reintroduce him to the world and let him know that it wasn't so bad, that actually, in fact, it could be quite awesome!

What I didn't know was that while I was teaching him about love and trust and happiness, he was doing the same for me. Caring for him and helping him trust again helped break down walls I had built over the years, and helped me deal with the depression that had been plaguing me for years that I did not want or know how to face.

He also got me moving again. See, I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, and when I was diagnosed at 21, when my body was basically attacking itself and making it impossible to live a normal life, I slowly started to give up and continued giving up for years after that. I stopped doing things I loved. Cooper reintroduced me to my love of the outdoors, mostly because I *had* to walk him. He started this whole weight loss, healthy life thing.

Funny, here, I thought I was saving him and damned if he didn't actually save me.

So, yes, I consider him before I take vacations or go out for the day. Really, when you think about it, it's the least I can do.
  • ldavies1971
    ldavies1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, your response so clearly represents the way I feel, as well. I only bring my dogs to a friend's house if that person offers first, and that's how I know they're reasonable and practical people.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We have 4 dogs. We train dogs. We generally have 6-10 dogs at our house at any time. Yes, we have to cut appointments or visits short because we have to get home to get dogs out for potty breaks or it's time to feed them. Not only do we love dogs, they are our job and responsibility, too. People trust us to treat their dogs as well as we treat our own dogs, and we do.

On top of that, we take our dogs with us on vacation. We only plan vacations where they can come with us. They deserve to have some fun stuff with us, when they aren't sharing us with all the other dogs. We love the beach and the mountains and taking them for long walks or hiking with them, so it's not a problem to plan our vacations to involve them.

We don't normally want to bring our dogs along when we visit friends. Mainly because on top of our dog training business, I work a 40 hour a week desk job, so I don't have a lot of free time, so we don't do a whole lot of socializing, other than with the other dog trainers in our group. Because we have a lot in common.

I don't expect everyone to love my dogs (or the dogs they are training). I respect people and don't allow the dogs to approach anyone unless they request it. I pick up poop.

Dogs have unconditional love. They are innocents (just like children) and they need us to take care of them. When you take on a dog (or 10), you are taking on a huge responsibility. If you don't want that responsibility, don't get a dog and/or don't have a kid.
  • beautifulmonica
    Options
    I think in southern california waay too many people humanize their dogs and treat them better than their own species. Its a shame . I do not like dogs. I like a clean and quiet house. I do own a betta n hes in a nice white sand 30gallon tank In my living room . I just cannot imagine having pee accidents in my home. I dont even wear shoes in my home so I def. Cannot deal with a dog. Me my husband and our 1 year old son are pretty quiet so I dog that cries when we leave may drive my poor neighbors nuts. We live in a pet friiendly.community n when our lease is up we are moving into a pet free one. People walk by and expect us to move for their mutts. Or they have a desperate look for compliments to their dog lol they have to walk around with dog poop in a bag till they find a trash for it. Ewww . Its disgusting. I just think those people that love their dogs like that are too desperate for love and affection so they get a dog and become a slave to it. Our neighbors dog barks from sun up to sun down and I wont complain . I feel bad that they think its okay to live with that boise . Eww n the smell. People that sleep with them are the worst! The last thing I need in bed is a dog . Ewww watching me have sex ??? Gross !!! California seems more dog friendly than kid friendly. No wonder.....
  • beautifulmonica
    Options
    Okay. I'm probably going to get a bunch of **** for this, but I don't like dogs.

I especially don't like your dog when I'm running in my own damn neighborhood and your Bichon chases me and tries to hamstring me.

I don't bring my cat to your house, don't bring your dog to mine.

Also, I want to punch people in the neck who refer to their animals as "fur kids" Animals aren't kids, they are animals. I'm not interested in your "Grand Dog" either. Tell your kids to reproduce if you really want a grand baby.

Whew, I feel better now.

Exactly. Dogs will never grow out of a brat stage . They wont ever graduate from highschool or drive a car. Are dogs the future or are children ? People that hate kids hate themselves or their childhood. Everyman was once a child. No man was ever a puppy. Lol
  • beautifulmonica
    Options
    I dont like people who are over-zealot about their little brats, they cause much more damage than a "rabid" dog would. I've witness a little brat poo so much that it slit out the diaper and all over someones brand new carpet. My dog has never done that and never will. And your yard isnt that great either, it was made to be poo'd on. Get over yourself, you and your, I'm assuming, crappy yard arent that great.

A little brat ? In a diaper ? Geez give the poor helpless child a break they cannot change their own diapers at that age.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Dogs will never grow out of a brat stage . They wont ever graduate from highschool or drive a car. Are dogs the future or are children ? People that hate kids hate themselves or their childhood. Everyman was once a child. No man was ever a puppy. Lol

Dogs will never grow out of a brat stage?

I gotta be honest, I'm not convinced you understand how dogs work.

Also, your previous comment about "Ew, they walk around with bags of poop in their hands" ... yeah, totally, let's shame people for being responsible pet owners and picking up after them. LOL. That's ****ing disgusting, yo!