Hummus lovers!

Options

Replies

• ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hummus is amazing!

I make my own "chips" by slicing up a tortilla, spraying it with coconut oil, sprinkling it with paprika and baking for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. The perfect vehicle for hummus! I also love hummus on sandwiches!

But I agree with the person above who said they have to measure - if I don't use my food scale, I am capable of scooping out two VERY generous tablespoons!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'd love to make my own but I don't think that kind of thing freezes well and I wouldn't be able to go through the kind of quantity I'd have to make for it to be worthwhile making it...not before it would end up going bad. I don't have anyone else to feed.

I often buy hummus when it's really cheap and freeze what I don't use. It freezes just fine!
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love it!

My staple lunch in work is a toasted pitta with hummus and red pepper.
  • Oxxygi
    Oxxygi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love it so much! ;) I like it with raw carrots or cucumbers, chili peppers, bell peppers, oat bread, rice cakes, corn cakes, celery sticks....yummy....
  • Chanchka
    Chanchka Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    yum! Love hummus... I found an amazing recipe if anyone wants it!
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! I typically eat it with baby carrots or sugar snap peas, but it also goes really well on a Mediterranean salad with goat cheese, roasted red peppers and kalamata olives. Yum!
  • tinatwin1971
    tinatwin1971 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Never really been into Hummus, but having read all of your posts, I'm thinking now that I'm looking for healthy snacks etc I might have to give it another chance. Thanks for inspiring me!
  • brianaELLE
    brianaELLE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently fell in love with the spinach artichoke hummus! I like it with those Melba wheat toast crackers. Its delicious!!
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a garlic fiend, so I like garlic hummus the best, with fresh cukes.
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Hummus is basically the reason we even have a Cuisinart food processor: simple recipe:

1 large can of chick peas drained (not rinsed)
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 cloves of garlic
    olive oil and water for processing until extremely smooth (it will thicken up a bit in the fridge and after a couple days)
    salt and peps.

unfortunately you truly need a food processor and no you don't need tahini paste and you don't need to peel the dang chick peas' skin off. This is why we have food processors.

I prefer any veggie, and/or Stacey's Simply Naked chips from Costco. Use on also on shawarmas and sandwiches as a condiment. I even eat it with a spoon like OP since I sometimes make 2 cans and it is only good for about a week in the fridge.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus, so easy and it makes sooo much, I can control the calories better too. My most recent was caramelized onion hummus, it turned out great!
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Roasted red pepper hummus with baby carrots. If I am not careful I could eat an entire tub + entire bag of carrots.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan, but my kids are. Three of them took it in their school lunch today with celery and pretzel dipping sticks. I loved packing it into these little plastic cups with lids that hold 2tbsp. I have to be careful or they'll go through a pack super fast. Usually they alternate hummus and pb (and rarely Nutella) as dips in their lunch bags.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Please share!
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I've never tried hummus. Now I will give it a try.
  • bunnylion
    Options
    I'd love to make my own but I don't think that kind of thing freezes well and I wouldn't be able to go through the kind of quantity I'd have to make for it to be worthwhile making it...not before it would end up going bad. I don't have anyone else to feed.

I often buy hummus when it's really cheap and freeze what I don't use. It freezes just fine!

Good to know. I make hummus myself from canned chickpeas. That is super quick and easy. But sometimes I need something I can grab and go, for these situations I might buy it in the store but I'd much prefer to have my self made hummus ready to go.

How do you unfreeze it then?
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I would love any recipes for hummus!

Please share!
  • bunnylion
    Options
    Hummus is basically the reason we even have a Cuisinart food processor: simple recipe:

1 large can of chick peas drained (not rinsed)
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 cloves of garlic
    olive oil and water for processing until extremely smooth (it will thicken up a bit in the fridge and after a couple days)
    salt and peps.

unfortunately you truly need a food processor and no you don't need tahini paste and you don't need to peel the dang chick peas' skin off. This is why we have food processors.

I prefer any veggie, and/or Stacey's Simply Naked chips from Costco. Use on also on shawarmas and sandwiches as a condiment. I even eat it with a spoon like OP since I sometimes make 2 cans and it is only good for about a week in the fridge.

It doesn't really need to be an expensive food processor though. Any cheap blending thingy will do. Even the hand-helds.
    I agree that you don't need need tahini. But I like the extra flavor it adds to the hummus. Yum!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    :sad: This thread just reminded me that I left my hummus at home today...lol

I love to eat it with veggies, and I make my own basic hummus...but I am always looking new and interesting things to add!

There is a farmer's market held Thursday evenings near my house and one vendor does their own hummus - I got horseradish hummus - loved it!!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Good to have a recipe without tahini. I love the flavor of tahini and will keep making it that way sometimes, but it's high in calories. :-)