MFP weightloss predictions unrealistic?

Options
2»

Replies

• jorda13456
    jorda13456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty accurate, I did say I was going to weight 165 in a month and a month has gone by and I just happen to weigh 165 .
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I turned off the "notify my news feed that I've completed my diary for the day" about 4 months ago.

Wow, I never knew you could do this.

How do you do that?!?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/news_feed_settings
  • Debbie4446
    Options
    Yes I sure do agree...It depends on how you log that day. If you log less than allotted calories or more than your allotted calories. It is very unrealistic :noway:
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Pretty unrealistic, but can be quite amusing if your intake varies day to day because you pay more attention to your weekly average.

One day last week I was using the phone app and managed to hit the complete button by mistake for the following day before even logging any food for that day. MFP still told me what I would weigh in 5 weeks' time - so now I know that if I ate nothing at all for 5 weeks I would weigh about 20lbs less...
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I ate exactly the same for 2 days with no exercise but the little prediction box told me 2 different weights, after that I stopped taking notice...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    if you log less calories or more calories than your goal, the number will be way off, but the number is not "unrealistic", it is based on MATH. If you "eat like this EVERY DAY, in 5 weeks you will weigh..."

this means if you log a low day and click it, it runs the numbers based on that amount of calories every day for 5 weeks, or if you eat OVER your calories, it can show you gain weight in 5 weeks, because its based on eating that SAME EXACT AMOUNT every day.

It is only a "fun fact" and a cute little thing that some people like to click for shits and giggles, it is in no way meant to be accurate or used as a tool to judge your progress.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I get a big kick of seeing what MFP predictions are every day. It motivates me. But at the same time… I realize they are only "accurate" if EVERY day was exactly like that day (every day my calorie intake and burn was exactly the same and that everyday I weighed the exact same amount). And that accuracy also presumes that my food logs and and calorie burns are 100% accurate. So, while I love seeing their number, but it's not like I hold any degree of confidence by it or really pay any real attention to it. It's not like I'm marking my calendar and every time I get to the "5 week" mark I compare my results to whatever MFP told me it would be.
  • pammyd76
    pammyd76 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    MFP is working fine for me, in fact I reached my weightloss goal today (yeah!) though I may reset it five pounds lighter. We'll see. I just wanted to know if others had a similar feeling...

Haha - I must learn how to do this!! But, YAY!!! and Woohoo!!! Congratulations on reaching your goal!!!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I found it to be pretty accurate.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    if you log less calories or more calories than your goal, the number will be way off, but the number is not "unrealistic", it is based on MATH. If you "eat like this EVERY DAY, in 5 weeks you will weigh..."
    Right. So it'd theoretically be correct assuming these things:

1- You ate that amount every day for 5 weeks.
    2- Your deficit logged is accurate (so your intake tracking is accurate and your burn estimates are accurate)
    3- You lose only fat, no significant water gain/loss (or other)
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Personally i love the possibility it shows me 5 weeks away,,,, keeps me looking forward. On days when i have not really achieved much defitict it shows my weight loss will be slower, so quite motivating.....:tongue:

Congrats on your weight loss, awesome job.