When will my period come back?

Options

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more food. I'm about your size, and I was losing weight quite quickly on 1200. Try and add more calories.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Are we purposefully neglecting the elephant in the room?
  • AdaVanderlyle
    AdaVanderlyle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Are we purposefully neglecting the elephant in the room?

No, we are not. Links about eating disorders have been given to her, good advice about seeking professional help (seeing a doctor) and slowly upping up the OP's calories, and equally important, empathy and understanding.
    Unless there's something else you think it was missed.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on the matter, I was having longer then usual periods for two months then miss a period every other month, or sometimes two months at a time. I had tests done and the culprit for me was low iron levels, that's the only thing that stuck out as abnormal.

As soon as I got my iron levels under control, my periods became regular and on time.

Talk to your doctor and ask him/her to run a blood test checking your iron levels. You maybe surprised that the answer is a simple one.

I would definitely see your doctor though.
  • DenDweller
    Options
    No, we are not. Links about eating disorders have been given to her, good advice about seeking professional help (seeing a doctor) and slowly upping up the OP's calories, and equally important, empathy and understanding.

Why do most, healthy women stop having their periods?
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    My period went away for a while for no (apparent) reason. I went to a doctor and everything. You may want to go to a doctor just to make sure. Also loss of periods can be a side effect of eating disorders because of not getting enough calories. So I think you're doing good upping your calories. If it continues, I'd say go see a doctor cause better safe than sorry, right?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yes OP might be pregnant, but i doubt her only symptom would be no period if that were the case, plus given her stats and the amount of calories she eats, unfortunately she isnt really healthy.
  • AdaVanderlyle
    AdaVanderlyle Posts: 113 Member
    Options

We all know why. So does the OP. (if you read her post, she says she is upping up her calories and knows it has gone because she ate too little). What's your point? Should we have a discussion about it on this thread? No we don't.
    OP asked for advice, it was given to her.
    ETA: forgot about pregnancy though. But according to the info it was given to us, and the fact she was dangerously under eating, it is more likely from the starvation. Or maybe not, but that's her business :)
  • aurorareigns
    Options

yes OP might be pregnant, but i doubt her only symptom would be no period if that were the case, plus given her stats and the amount of calories she eats, unfortunately she isnt really healthy.

Oh is pregnancy what he was trying to get at? Lol I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, must be the lack of sleep.
  • Falcon
    Options

for real where do you get your info from?

As soon as she begins to eat the right amount of calories and her iron levels are brought back up. It will most likely start again. When the body shuts down that part of you, it means you're not as healthy as you think....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Oh is pregnancy what he was trying to get at? Lol I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, must be the lack of sleep.

i presumed so?! :laugh:
  • DenDweller
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be cagey, just circumspect. I'm probably one of the least qualified to comment, but I felt there was a big hole in the conversation.

Carry on.
  • Falcon
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be cagey, just circumspect. I'm probably one of the least qualified to comment, but I felt there was a big hole in the conversation.

Carry on.

That big hole unless she's had a one night stand and she's failed to mention that doesn't apply to the topic.

She's already mentioned she was under eating. She is lacking nutrition. If she is undereating then the chances of being pregnant are slim to none because there is nothing to substain the fetus with.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Carry on.

There really wasn't in the female eye because most "healthy" women who become pregnant would note weight gain as well as increase appetite... So the post would be more like, I'm trying to eat about 1200 calories a day to bring my period back, but all that is happening is I'm gaining weight, more than I should be for 300 calories more a day. I'm tired all the time, etc etc.

When OP states it stops because she has been undereating and she is rehabbing her calorie intake, I think we all generally assume that she would have already figured out, after several months of a missed period, whether or not she's pregnant. I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but when I was 19, if I had missed a period for 3 months straight and was sexually active, I'd have been freaking the F out. Especially at her size, she would show very early in the pregnancy.

Missing periods are very very common in anorexic and bulimic women. According to the details given by OP, she is eating at or under (regarding net calories) the average intake of an anorexia nervosa patient.
  • aurorareigns
    Options

Carry on.

That big hole unless she's had a one night stand and she's failed to mention that doesn't apply to the topic.

She's already mentioned she was under eating. She is lacking nutrition. If she is undereating then the chances of being pregnant are slim to none because there is nothing to substain the fetus with.

If she could possibly be pregnant I feel like the title of this would have been "I might be pregnant?!"

I feel like my lack of sleep is making this whole discussion seem even more funny.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Given your height and weight and that you are gradually increasing your calories it looks like you used to weigh less but are trying slowly to gain a little. Good on you! While the majority of people her are about weight loss, gaining weight can be as much of a struggle so keep going until you get yourself to the best healthy weight that you can.

If your periods stopped because you were underweight then they are likely to return when your body feels health enough to do so. Make sure you are eating the right foods including those containing vitamin C and iron as anemia can also impact your periods.

The NHS website has a number of useful links but take care as these tend to give all the scary medical reasons for missing periods in addition to some of the more usual reasons (such as pregnancy). Please discuss with your doctor. If they can't or won't help - change your doctor until you find one that will!!

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/periods-absent/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anaemia-iron-deficiency-/pages/introduction.aspx

Please also ignore all the critics and descanters and judgemental fools. The forums are the place to ask questions and as my mother always says 'if you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything'.

Hope this helps
  • DenDweller
    Options
    I really didn't want to get into it further, but it also serves by way of explanation my original interest in the topic. So, what the heck?

I am married to a woman who becomes irregular when she's working out intensely. (My original interest, but not germane.)

I also know two woman (a family member and a friend) who've become pregnant (less than optimum circumstances) and did a good job of denying that fact to themselves for a bit.

Throw in the fact that the OP didn't not volunteer "I know I'm not pregnant." when it's a basic possibility that someone might immediately check and mention to forestall questioning along those lines. Maybe it's an oversight, maybe her head just isn't in that place, regardless it's an undisclosed possibility.

I don't think my point is unreasonable.
  • Falcon
    Options
    I really didn't want to get into it further, but it also serves by way of explanation my original interest in the topic. So, what the heck?

I am married to a woman who becomes irregular when she's working out intensely. (My original interest, but not germane.)

I also know two woman (a family member and a friend) who've become pregnant (less than optimum circumstances) and did a good job of denying that fact to themselves for a bit.

Throw in the fact that the OP didn't not volunteer "I know I'm not pregnant." when it's a basic possibility that someone might immediately check and mention to forestall questioning along those lines. Maybe it's an oversight, maybe her head just isn't in that place, regardless it's an undisclosed possibility.

I don't think my point is unreasonable.

No it's not unreasonable. There are so many things out there that can cause a period to be missed or be irregular. Stress, low iron levels, prenancy, ovarian cysts, cancer, not eating enough. Not eating the right foods. Early menopause. That's just scratching the surface. There are more then one reason why a woman would miss her period.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    When I had Amenorrhoea from my, well "History" since we're all beating around the bush, it took me about 7-8 months to finally get my period back. It required getting my iron levels and body fat % back up to a "normal" range. Even then it was spotty for another good year due to the mess I put my body through.
  • gmama1964
    Options
    Please go see a doctor. Try eating more pb&j sandwiches:smile: