True or False: 80% diet & 205 Exercise for weight loss?

13»

Replies

• mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    For me, it's more like 40/60. While calories are all that count for weight loss, I CANNOT stick to my calorie goals unless I'm also exercising.

Exercising helps to stabilize blood sugar levels so that I don't dive headfirst into every dessert that I see. It also keeps me busy so that I don't overeat out of boredom.

I graphed out my daily calories vs. exercise over a three month period, and there was a clear association. I try to eat within a calorie range of 1200-1600 calories per day. Every day that I exercised, my calories were near 1200. Every day that I didn't exercise, the calories were 1600-1800.

I concur. I can't stick to a diet if I'm not exercising. Working out is what gives me the energy to feel good and actually use the calories that I'm getting for my workouts. It helps replenish me. Without working out, I'm too tired and sluggish, and my brain wants extra carbs and calories for energy. The only thing that can cure that is exercise. Instead of going by pct, let's say fat loss is 100 percent diet/exercise.

Totally agree. I eat much better when I excersize and am likely not to stick to my diet if I don't excersize regularly. To me they go hand in hand
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Solidly in the camp of FALSE but do not agree that it is because of the percentage. Sure you can lose weight by diet alone, many folks do and most of them gain back a portion of their loss within a year. Exercise is critical to weightloss success. I lost and kept off my first 50 pounds with minor tweaks to what i ate, more lifestyle changes than a diet, from exercise. I've lost the last 35 by using MFP along with exercise. Just exercising made me want to eat better to fuel my activity. Now I exercise so that I can eat and still lose weight, slowly.

I want to ride my bike faster uphill more than I want a bucket of ice cream or other calorie dense food or snack. For me athletic performance is motivation for keeping close to my calorie goals. Without the exercise frankly my health would be way worse and I would not be sticking to any diet for long.
  • Tessiek613
    Tessiek613 Posts: 11 Member
    I do diet.... Watching my calorie intake, but excercise is not crazy for me. I excercise about a half hour every day. I'm seeing great progress doing this, I've been on my journey for 7 weeks and have lost 22 lbs!
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    In my head - weight loss is 100% diet. I do the exercise stuff the way I do for the health benefits. That includes my mental health - sticking to the calorie limit I have if sedentary would drive me completely insane!!
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    That has certainly been true for me. Exercise lets me eat a little more, at a given weight, than I might otherwise but diet is what moves the scale down. My body is particularly sensitive to over-exercising, especially cardio, and it always makes me gain weight, probably through a combination of inflammation and my appetite increasing.