Finding bra size after weight loss

Options
I wasn't sure which category to put this under.

I've lost 15ish pounds. I've always had a small chest even at 160+, a 34B. Now I've gotten so small up top I'm like...boney. My 34B bras definitely don't fit.

So I'm measuring 34 for band size (across the back and under arms) and 35 for bust size (widest part of my bust...sad).

Most sites say 34 is my band size and since there is a 1 inch difference between the two measurements, I will be 34 A.

Here's the thing, when I try 34 A's on they just look too small for my frame. Like around my armpit/under arm kind of area is sticking out of the bra too much.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get an accurate bra measurement? From my research this seems to be the most standard. Also, does anyone else have these measurements but prefer/have found another size to suit you better?

Thanks!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    go to victorias secret or another lengerie specialty store near you, they are taught how to properly fit people
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yeah...Victoria's Secret told me I was a 34 C. Maybe another place.
  • nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I always find the best thing to do is get measured properly and just use that as a starting point. I got measured the other week they told me i was a 36DD and after trying on about 20 different sizes/styles i was happy with 1 particular brand, balconette 34DD. Every brand varies so much your best just to try a few on. X
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Start with a reliable bra size calculator (like: http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm) You may still need some trial and error from there. Different shapes will fit your boobs differently, so one style may fit while another doesn't. Personally, I would never suggest anyone get fitted at a store that doesn't carry a broad range of sizes. Stores will often lie or give you a mistaken bra size if it's the only way to sell you one of their brand.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    I know....It's kind of a bad experience for me at the moment. This size is just....not cute. I get so frustrated trying the bras on and don't like seeing how small I am. I guess I should just try a lot of brands and styles on in the 34 A? I've measured myself like zillions of times and I think I'm accurate on the measurements.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is trial and error :( I lost a lot in that area losing 53 lbs. I thought I was a 34 A and ended up as a 34 B because of the "side spillage" issue xD. Having boobs is such a chore!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You don't look like you're 34 around, to be honest. You look smaller. Are you going by the exact measurement for band size, or are you doing the screwy add/subtract inch American way of determining your size?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah...Victoria's Secret told me I was a 34 C. Maybe another place.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got a wonky fitting from them. The girl had me in a way bigger band size and a smaller cup size. I tried it just out of curiousity and yeah, not pretty. They didn't have my actual size so that was the end of that! No biggee - saved me some money.

Honestly, I've tried on different brands and know there's no way they're the size they claim to be. The band, the cup. or both can be WAY off from what the label says. So when you shop, I'd say go ahead and grab sizes around yours (like 32A & B and 36A & B) when you find a style you like just in case. It can be a bit tedious but will be worth it when you find one that fits right.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    When I have a non padded bra on I'm measuring 34 (measuring above breast and under arms). Without the bra it's measuring 32.5

Underneath my breasts I'm measuring only 31.5 but from the calculators I've seen, this measurement doesn't make any difference.

Ugh. I just wanna put on a pretty bra and feel sexy in it...
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think all you can do is set aside an hour, choose somewhere with good customer service and try them on until you find ones that fit.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    When I have a non padded bra on I'm measuring 34 (measuring above breast and under arms). Without the bra it's measuring 32.5

Underneath my breasts I'm measuring only 31.5 but from the calculators I've seen, this measurement doesn't make any difference.

Ugh. I just wanna put on a pretty bra and feel sexy in it...

You the measurement without the bra on.
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options

You shouldn't need to measure above your breasts. That measurement doesn't matter. Measure below. You said 31.5, so that means you should try a 32 band. Then measure around the largest part of your breasts and for every inch above your band size (32), add a cup. So if you measured 34, that would make you a 32 B, if you measured 35, that would mean 32C and so on. Try the calculator on A Sophisticated Pair's website if you need help.

I hope this makes sense. I used to have a horrible time with bras until I found out how to measure properly so I know how you feel.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Ah okay! Hearing so many different things. I was trying 32 C's as well. Yeah I do just need to go in and suck it up. 32 band just feels so snug!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Go to Nordstrom's and get fitted. Victoria Secret has their own measuring system. Hence, why for most of my bra wearing days I thought I was a 36D, when it turns out I'm a 32DDD/32E. Now granted, my band has changed due to my weight loss, but cup size generally does not change.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Ah okay! Hearing so many different things. I was trying 32 C's as well. Yeah I do just need to go in and suck it up. 32 band just feels so snug!

It's supposed to feel snug on the furthest hook, so as the bra stretches out, you can move the hook inward and still be able to wear the bra.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Almost anywhere you buy bras has someone who can measure you. You can also look it up online and have a friend help.

I have found it weird how I go down around, but not at the same rate as the cup size, which goes down less than everything else on my body. Weirdness with the bras!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    My new size bra did not look right to me, but when I tried it on with a few tops I could see it fit perfect. I just had to get used to my new body :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Snug is good.

Go to Nordstrom's and get fitted. Victoria Secret has their own measuring system. Hence, why for most of my bra wearing days I thought I was a 36D, when it turns out I'm a 32DDD/32E. Now granted, my band has changed due to my weight loss, but cup size generally does not change.

VS measured me at a 36D. I actually wear a 28FF. VS is the worst place even to buy a bra.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    I know I can get fitted it's just that I know I'm not going to feel like spending the money on the bra at the expensive lingerie store (I'd rather find my size and then go to Century 21) and it makes me feel rude! Ha. Maybe I should not care.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. And it isn't any easier believe me! Victoria's Secret always tries to tell me I'm a 38 (cup size whatever their largest is at the time... They never fit.) Try herroom.com. I have had good luck following their method. (I hope I can post a link to a commercial site.) I've also had good luck at Dillards, but if you want to do it at home you can follow these directions.

https://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html