Finding bra size after weight loss

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I know I can get fitted it's just that I know I'm not going to feel like spending the money on the bra at the expensive lingerie store (I'd rather find my size and then go to Century 21) and it makes me feel rude! Ha. Maybe I should not care.

You are not obligated to buy anything. I've been fitted at multiple stores and then left and went to amazon.com. Just tell them you want to look around and then leave.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ah okay! Hearing so many different things. I was trying 32 C's as well. Yeah I do just need to go in and suck it up. 32 band just feels so snug!

Snug is good.

Go to Nordstrom's and get fitted. Victoria Secret has their own measuring system. Hence, why for most of my bra wearing days I thought I was a 36D, when it turns out I'm a 32DDD/32E. Now granted, my band has changed due to my weight loss, but cup size generally does not change.

VS measured me at a 36D. I actually wear a 28FF. VS is the worst place even to buy a bra.

They did this to me too. They measured me at a 38 DD when I'm really a 34-36 F-G depending on the bra. Weird... Also, what's with measuring under the armpits? That makes no sense. That would work for some but it completely would depend on your build.

Edited for spelling.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Bras are very much like pants, different cuts fit differently. Your measurements are a good starting point, but you need to try on lots of bras in different styles in that size and surrounding sizes to get the right one. I also second the snug is good. 90% of the support in your bra should be from the band, not the straps. If you are counting on the straps to hold the girls up, you are wearing the wrong band size. (This is a general statement, not necessary addressed to you).

This post coming from someone who was a certified bra fitter years ago.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for my favorite bra-fitting blog post:
    http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/10/how-to-measure-your-bra-size-correct.html?m=1

This is the blog post that helped me realize I was wearing the completely wrong size. Friends I've shared it with have all found that they were also wearing the wrong size. My new size (smaller band size, larger cup) is way more flattering! Be careful--some of the online bra size calculators give really wonky sizes. Wacoal's told me I was a 34A. I actually wear a 32DD or a 30DDD. The 34 is way too loose and makes me look saggy, lumpy, and heavier because it is completely the wrong size.
    Following the blog's advice results in a much more attractive look and a more comfortable fit.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You can also consider looking at "sister sizes". They are essentially the same size bra with slight differences in either the cup or the band.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    You can also consider looking at "sister sizes". They are essentially the same size bra with slight differences in either the cup or the band.

What she said. Each store differs slightly so you might have to try several different sizes on.
    I hate bra shopping, and I'm still not even sure what size I wear now.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Oke, curious, why do they tell you to measure above the breast under the arm for your band size?,...that's not where it goes.
    I've seen this on several sites.
  • Shananigans457
    Shananigans457 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time getting an accurate bra measurement from Victoria's Secret as well. I went to Layne Bryant and had a much more knowledgeable saleswoman help me out. Good luck!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    go to victorias secret or another lengerie specialty store near you, they are taught how to properly fit people

Don't go to VS, they are not taught to measure propperly and they will "meusre" you in whatever they have on sale at the time. Nordstroms is a good place to get measured if you're unsure about size.

I just had my breasts done so trust me when I say I know what I'm talking about with sizes. Try going to Herroom.com, they have a really good measuring guide and they sell bras in every size under the sun.

Your band should be tight, you should not be able to pull it further than 1 inch. The gore of the bra (the middle part) should sit flat on your chest (for wired bras). And remember, cup size is relitive to band size. A 36C is a larger cup than a 32D. It's true! If you feel the band is too big but the cups are good, go up a band size and down a cup size.

Again, I just had a BA and I've had to go through all of this with my doctor so I got the support I needed. A bra that fits correctly is the most amazing feeling ever. I never knew I was in the wrong bra size my whole life until I was told all this by my doctor.

Editied for clarity
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Oke, curious, why do they tell you to measure above the breast under the arm for your band size?,...that's not where it goes.

Explained in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqXCnYOwCI
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Explained in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqXCnYOwCI

Thanks!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

To me it looks pretty standard! Almost every site I've seen measures that way.

This is so frustrating. I've been putting it off and wear little lace bras in a size small or...no bra. Or wearing a bra too big because my size medium dresses are too big and I need something to fill it out. :(
  • GothyFaery
    Options

To me it looks pretty standard! Almost every site I've seen measures that way.

This is so frustrating. I've been putting it off and wear little lace bras in a size small or...no bra. Or wearing a bra too big because my size medium dresses are too big and I need something to fill it out. :(

Not sure why they tell you to measure there but I wouldn't go with any of those sites to tell you how your bra should fit. I used that method before and after my surgery and I was measuring the exact same size. There's no way after 500cc implants I was any where close to the same size before surgery. That's when I learned how to measure correctly.

Again, don't trust a site that has you measuring above!
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what are you measurments?
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    go to victorias secret or another lengerie specialty store near you, they are taught how to properly fit people

Don't go to VS, they are not taught to measure propperly and they will "meusre" you in whatever they have on sale at the time. Nordstroms is a good place to get measured if you're unsure about size.

I just had my breasts done so trust me when I say I know what I'm talking about with sizes. Try going to Herroom.com, they have a really good measuring guide and they sell bras in every size under the sun.

Your band should be tight, you should not be able to pull it further than 1 inch. The gore of the bra (the middle part) should sit flat on your chest (for wired bras). And remember, cup size is relitive to band size. A 36C is a larger cup than a 32D. It's true! If you feel the band is too big but the cups are good, go up a band size and down a cup size.

Again, I just had a BA and I've had to go through all of this with my doctor so I got the support I needed. A bra that fits correctly is the most amazing feeling ever. I never knew I was in the wrong bra size my whole life until I was told all this by my doctor.

Editied for clarity

They have good sales too :). Amen to a good fitting bra. I felt so much better and it made me look 15 lbs lighter too. For me, there are no inexpensive bras. I just watch for sales. Most places don't even carry my size. I have to go to Dillard's or Nordstrom and they are so expensive. There never seems to be much variety. It's just easier to shop online.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's bra buying time for me, so I'm tagging this thread.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at everyone saying they got bad fittings at VS. I was shocked to find out I've probably been wearing the wrong size for years. I am a 36D and had been cramming into a 36C. I always thought "D" meant "giant boobs" but it really doesn't. 36D is the same cup size as 38C and 34DD. It's just your band to breast tissue ratio. I have never had a better fitting bra in my life.

OP if VS measured you at 34C, did you actually try on a bra that size or did you just say "that sounds wrong" and call yourself an A?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at everyone saying they got bad fittings at VS. I was shocked to find out I've probably been wearing the wrong size for years. I am a 36D and had been cramming into a 36C. I always thought "D" meant "giant boobs" but it really doesn't. 36D is the same cup size as 38C and 34DD. It's just your band to breast tissue ratio. I have never had a better fitting bra in my life.

OP if VS measured you at 34C, did you actually try on a bra that size or did you just say "that sounds wrong" and call yourself an A?

VS doesn't even carry sizes under 32, or cup sizes over DD, I believe. So they can't measure people properly, because they don't carry everyone's bra size. I don't think they have their sales people saying "You're a 30FF, go next door to Nordstrom, we don't carry that size."
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm in need myself, the one bra that fits halfway decently has an underwire issue (as in, it pokes me in the armpit, haha).

The last time I got measured, I went to a Fredericks of Hollywood location. They measured me perfectly at the time. I am hoping that my boobs lose some weight at some point because they are a complete pain in the back... Here's hoping.