Does clean eating pay off?

Options

Replies

• mikkiish
    mikkiish Posts: 17
    Options
    Clean eating definitely pays off in the end you feel so much better and have lots of energy!!

Hi I'm Michaela
    Height:5'2"
    CurrentWeight:126
    Gw1:123
    Gw2:115
    Gw3:110
    Ugw:100
    I'm on everyday and check my feed constantly, I love to give advice and motivate so feel free to add me (:
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get a lot of haters on here I think :(

I like eating clean because it's healthier and it keeps me full and satiated. I have less headaches and digestion issues, I sleep better and I personally lose weight faster when eating clean.

You need to find a lifestyle that will last for you and remember any progress is good progress. Try not to get too worried about what anyone else is doing. Many of them will fail in the long run anyway. Just do what works for you and what you can stick with and be happy for any and every success you find.

This has been my experience, too. It FEELS like it makes a difference to me. I feel better and my skin looks better. I have discovered things that make my weight loss more consistent, through clean eating, but it has more to do with the balance of macro nutrients I suspect than anything else. But I'm trying to eat as healthily as I can with as few calories as I can be happy with, while getting enough fiber and vitamins and minerals from my food as I can. I have a theory that the micro nutrients that aren't listed on nutrition labels are just as important to our overall health and longevity as the things that people talk about the most. The number of sick people in our society seems to be increasing, cancer rates are up dramatically, and I suspect it has to do with the number of toxins we were exposed to... some of which are in our food.

I mean, seriously, silly hippies in the 60s and 70s were predicting that our toxic environment and processed foods and lousy farming practices would cause increases in cancer, mental illness, infertility, and immune disorders. We've had amazing increases in those things and there seems to be a lack of condenses about why. At this point, I"m inclined to go with the prophetic words of the silly hippies until someone comes up with something more compelling.

Plus, it won't hurt me to eat more clean.

Much of my position on clean eating derived from studying breastfeeding and the composition of breast milk. THAT is some fascinating science!! It is amazing what bodies can do. There are so many micro nutrients in breast milk that we have yet to identify all of them, much less what they do and why they are there. Clearly, micro nutrients aren't without value. However, they show up in very small amounts in foods that are processed. Many of the things people eat today have nutrients removed and then other nutrients added back in... well, we can only add back in the things we know about. It leaves me wondering what is in food in a more natural state that isn't in food that has been manipulated, and if we need it for optimum health.

My long term goal is to live a long time and to do so with as much health and happiness as I can. I want my life to make a positive difference. Supporting independent growers and farmers and folks practicing good stewardship is part of that. Eating a diverse diet is part of that. It seems that clean eating works toward both of those goals.

Of course, on another note, I ate a fairly diverse and clean diet when I weighed 300 pounds, too. So it doesn't translate into weight loss.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It certainly depends on what you mean by clean eating, but if you are saying avoiding processed foods, it is probably better for your body not getting as much of the chemicals and additives, extra sodium and sugar.
    It is your choice, totally up to each one of us.
    How are processed foods in moderation detrimental to our health?

I didn't say it was detrimental, in moderation. Just said it is up to you what you want to eat. Don't assume.........you know what that does.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It certainly depends on what you mean by clean eating, but if you are saying avoiding processed foods, it is probably better for your body not getting as much of the chemicals and additives, extra sodium and sugar.

Not all "processed" foods have the same ingredients. Rather than over generalizing about processing, why not avoid specific ingredients you think are problems.

For example one reason to choose frozen veggies over canned (in addition to taste and a probably better nutrient profile) is that canned has more sodium. Both are, of course, processed. Indeed, in the winter when you may be eating "fresh" veggies from thousands of miles away, the frozen are likely a better choice, although I don't always follow my own advice, since they just look less appealing sometimes. I just don't delude myself that the banana or zucchini in January is more "natural."
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means different things to different people.
    I think in general, overprocessed stuff tends to be less full of the good stuff. And the good stuff makes me feel good, so I want more of it.
    Fast food - I've pretty much given it up. That's beenn great for weight loss. Even better for stopping my cravings to overeat.
    Canned soups - So salty, and I never even realized it until I started making my own soup. My version is "clean" progresso is not. Mine is delicious and doesn't make me retain water. Win :)
    Snacking - I used to eat chips, goldfish, little bite muffins, stuff like that. Not clean. Not filling. Makes me feel icky. Now I eat clean snacks that in general equal the same amount of calories - fruits, nuts, celery and hummus, cheeses.....and I feel full and satisfied. Holds me over to the next meal instead of just being a snack to pass the time chewing on something.
    Fresh ingredients - Definitely have been a big difference in my meals. I've been using fresh herbs when possible, and it really brings my cooking up to the next level in taste.
    So in general, I think there are a lot of positives to eating "Clean" and replacing processed stuff when possible with "Real food." But our world is a hard one to live in if you attempt to give it all up entirely. I know at least once a month I will still end up in McDonalds for some kids event. Or I will need a snack and only the kids snacks will be available. Everything in moderation.
  • snowflake930
    Options

Not all "processed" foods have the same ingredients. Rather than over generalizing about processing, why not avoid specific ingredients you think are problems.

For example one reason to choose frozen veggies over canned (in addition to taste and a probably better nutrient profile) is that canned has more sodium. Both are, of course, processed. Indeed, in the winter when you may be eating "fresh" veggies from thousands of miles away, the frozen are likely a better choice, although I don't always follow my own advice, since they just look less appealing sometimes. I just don't delude myself that the banana or zucchini in January is more "natural."

Everything is processed to lesser or greater degrees. Even growing it and butchering it yourself, you will be processing your food. I think most people know the difference.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Everything is processed to lesser or greater degrees. Even growing it and butchering it yourself, you will be processing your food. I think most people know the difference.

So where is the line between "good" processed foods and "bad" processed foods? That was the question. Which ingredients or preparation methods make something potentially detrimental to one's health?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pay off how? Does eating, say 1500 calories of nutrient dense, whole foods benefit you more than eating 1500 calories of "hot pockets" doritos and coke? Yes. In the long run. Do you have to do it to make the number on the scale go down? No.

To me there's a hell of a lot more to this than the number on the scale.
    As I get older, I think about my overall, longterm health. And, I know that eating a nutrient dense, whole food diet will benefit me more than a diet based around prepackaged convenience foods and crap.

Do I eat some junk? Sure. But that's not the basis of my daily diet. And I make sure that when I DO eat crap that it doesn't affect my next dietary choices. i.e. for ME, eating a twinkie (gag) would lead to me wanting to eat more junk. Eating tortilla chips leads me to crave carbs... so I choose and time my junk foods wisely.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I didn't/don't eat clean completely, i eat balanced. I lost my weight eating what i wanted, just less of it and more fruit and veg.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't think so. These discussions always indicate otherwise. If there are specific things clean eaters are agreeing should be avoided beyond vague processing or some reason why it's healthier to eliminate common ingredients like flour for the average person it's never explained. I think most people just feel more virtuous going on about being "clean" but really mean nothing more than they eat more healthy than they used to. Which is great, but doesn't actually mean they have a different way of eating than people who dislike the sanctimonious term.

Some really do claim to go beyond that, and then the question is why cutting out Fage would be better for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Pay off how? Does eating, say 1500 calories of nutrient dense, whole foods benefit you more than eating 1500 calories of "hot pockets" doritos and coke? Yes. In the long run. Do you have to do it to make the number on the scale go down? No.

As I get older, I think about my overall, longterm health. And, I know that eating a nutrient dense, whole food diet will benefit me more than a diet based around prepackaged convenience foods and crap.

Do I eat some junk? Sure. But that's not the basis of my daily diet. And I make sure that when I DO eat crap that it doesn't affect my next dietary choices. i.e. for ME, eating a twinkie (gag) would lead to me wanting to eat more junk. Eating tortilla chips leads me to crave carbs... so I choose and time my junk foods wisely.

And as usual I agree with everything you say here. Except the argument isn't about 1500 calories of mostly nutrient dense food with a bit of junk (what I aspire to also) vs 1500 calories of hot pockets. It's about the former vs. some allegedly superior "clean" diet.

So, yeah, I see no benefits from eating "clean" when that's made clear, especially since the majority of people who self define as clean can't even say what makes their diet "clean" and the former person's not.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    How are processed foods in moderation detrimental to our health?

I didn't say it was detrimental, in moderation. Just said it is up to you what you want to eat. Don't assume.........you know what that does.
    Then word you statements properly so they don't appear to be in absolutes. In time you'll learn and succeed in this game.

I will not go into semantics with you. Clearly, you are reading into my words something I did not mean to imply, or say.

BTW. I have had success here by anyone's standards. I have been on this site for almost 30 months (all but the last 2 months under a different name) I have lost over 160 pounds. Went from a size 24W to size 10. Again.........do not assume......you do not know me or my situation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I don't think so. These discussions always indicate otherwise. If there are specific things clean eaters are agreeing should be avoided beyond vague processing or some reason why it's healthier to eliminate common ingredients like flour for the average person it's never explained. I think most people just feel more virtuous going on about being "clean" but really mean nothing more than they eat more healthy than they used to. Which is great, but doesn't actually mean they have a different way of eating than people who dislike the sanctimonious term.

Some really do claim to go beyond that, and then the question is why cutting out Fage would be better for me.
    And I think your opinions about other people's reasoning are just that, your opinions. "sanctimonious", "virtuous". Those are YOUR opinions.

Clean is a word. It's not very precise, here, it's not very exact here. It's not terribly useful (nor is IIFYM for most people) here but your judgement as to why folks use the term, or eat a particular way is pretty much on you. Not them. Just as it would be on ME if I thought the "i'm not a fool I eat all the foods" comments are sanctimonious.

I don't think folks eat nutrient dense whole foods for you or anyone else. I certainly don't think they speak of them in an attempt to make you or anyone else feel "bad".

The whole discussion over and over is kinda silly. Why not, when a "clean" thread comes up: say "hey, that's not a particularly useful term, instead, why not say you eat nutrient dense whole foods..." or something like that. Educate folks as to why the term doesn't really work. Or just skip the thread altogether if educating isn't your aim.

I just can't fathom how much time is wasted here arguing about a word. No one really disagrees conceptually that eating nutrient dense whole foods is good for you.

This isn't directed at you, per se except for the "sanctimonious"and "virtuous" comments.
    Just a general observation.
  • BradfordBear801
    Options
    It helps, just hang in there, patience is key but in the end its all worth it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

And as usual I agree with everything you say here. Except the argument isn't about 1500 calories of mostly nutrient dense food with a bit of junk (what I aspire to also) vs 1500 calories of hot pockets. It's about the former vs. some allegedly superior "clean" diet.

So, yeah, I see no benefits from eating "clean" when that's made clear, especially since the majority of people who self define as clean can't even say what makes their diet "clean" and the former person's not.
    So EDUCATE people. Rather than just using churchy words. That's all I'm saying. ASK people, in a want to share way how they construct their diets. And then point out the flaws in their logic. Are january bananas good for you? Probably. Are they "natural" no, perhaps the term you want to use mr MFP user is "nutrient dense"....
    And since you DO know why sprouted grains are better for you than wonder bread, explain that to someone who's dumping them because they're "white".:flowerforyou:

ETA: I have to wonder how many folks who innocently post or ask about "clean" eating are turned off and leave the forums based on all the darned arguments....
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever fits into my macros / calorie goals. Typically this ends up being clean foods a lot of the times anyway. If you're on restircted calories, you won't be able to fit that much junk into your diet regardless. But it won't kill you if you have a treat now and then if you can actually make it fit. Other thing about eating junk is they tend to make you want more than you should have. I counteract this by making my own macro friendly alternatives to junk that tast just as good - i.e. protein cheesecake, cakes, flavored oatmeals, and other things like that.

I don't consider what I eat to be a 'clean' diet though. I don't preach that either, I just eat what is easiest for me to fit in. Sometimes it even includes beer, like tonight I will have some.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The question again is... what does 'clean eating' mean? I mean, unless you're buying totally organic, including meats, and making everything from scratch with your organic stuff, you're probably not eating as clean as you think anyway. And if you can afford that, why are you on MFP and not working with a nutritionist and personal trainer?

So does it pay off? I don't know, I think I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    How can something that has no defined meaning have a pay off?: Your "clean" is another persons "junk".
  • theEffingPanda
    Options
    I eat relatively clean but only do it because I FEEL MUCH BETTER than when I eat packaged crap. I'm not trying to lose weight faster because when I ate less than I do now and ate "healthy" packaged things, it definitely backfired. You have to do what makes you feel good and what works for you.