Does clean eating pay off?

Options

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The definition of eating "Clean" varies from one person to another. I think of eating clean as in organic or minimally processed foods. If this is something that is important to you then I see no problem with it, but remember you still need to eat according to your fitness goals calorie wise and watch your macro and micro nutrients.

Don't care how "clean" you eat, if you eat more calories than you burn, then you will gain weight. You can gain weight or lose weight eating all of your favorite foods. If your goal is simply to lose weight and/or to watch your macro/micro's then I highly suggest you focus on that before you jump into clean eating diets. Master than then maybe start introducing minimally processed foods into your diet and see how you like it.

Personally speaking, I eat processed and minimally processed foods depending on my mood, nothing beats whole food's guacamole in my book ^___^, but I also love my pizza hut, just say'n.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    For me: adding in nutrient dense whole foods is great, trying to eat them exclusively is a nightmare emotionally. For me it led to fear a food and obsessively trying to eat more and more "perfectly."

This is my new favorite video on clean eating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afd3OBhy8l4
    Enjoy :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" (if you can define it) pays of the same way any other diet potentially pays off... when you don't eat too much and stay at a slight deficit. Of course the opposite effect is always potentially there as well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i clean eat i avoid all junk foods which i cut out almost 2 months ago and honestly don't miss it. i don't drink any sort of soda and once in awhile if i'm feeling lazy do i reach for a lean cuisine etc other wise i eat 2 veggies a protein for my lunch and dinner. Since I work from home currently I eat my big meal at lunch and have something small for dinner hope this helps. I consume about 1000 - 1200 calories a day burn about 1500 calories a day but i have over 100lbs to loose so i'm going slow and steady on this.
    You honestly think that netting -300 to -500 calories per day is smart? Because it's not smart at all. No matter what you think or how you feel. Keep doing the and you will pay for it in the end.

And how is that "slow and steady"? :huh:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I understand that the number of calories consumed is a number regardless of what it is, as long as you eat within your deficit you will lose weight. So what impact does clean eating have? Will you lose weight faster, is it better in the long run? I feel better when I eat clean and feel like I am actually changing my nutritional lifestyle and eat about 1600 cals a day and get frustrated when I see people losing weight faster than me that eat less calories and their calories are from junk or packaged or diet foods. Does anyone else share this frustration? Does anyone have insight on the benefits of clean eating with weight loss or is it really just the number.

Clean eating is not about weight loss. It's about long term health! IMO

Plus its a great topic for internet forum rants. lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So EDUCATE people. Rather than just using churchy words. That's all I'm saying. ASK people, in a want to share way how they construct their diets. And then point out the flaws in their logic. Are january bananas good for you? Probably. Are they "natural" no, perhaps the term you want to use mr MFP user is "nutrient dense"....
    And since you DO know why sprouted grains are better for you than wonder bread, explain that to someone who's dumping them because they're "white".:flowerforyou:

ETA: I have to wonder how many folks who innocently post or ask about "clean" eating are turned off and leave the forums based on all the darned arguments....

Hmm. I do agree with this for a new user who innocently asks about "clean" eating. I actually think that's what I try to do, and even what I started with my first post in this one (the one where I said I don't know what "clean" means but if you mean "eating healthy" that's not actually how I understand "clean" but is great blah, blah). I was hoping to open the door to what "clean" meant if not just healthy or if healthy why "clean" wasn't really the right term. But then we got 87 posts about how clean eating is better than eating Twinkies 24/7 or some such, and it's that false dichotomy (yes, if I don't care about organic bananas or think non homemade yogurt is fine or even--gasp--eat my friend's homemade biscuit at book club and veggies out of season I must be some junk food junky who never eats a vegetable) that drives me batty.

Also, if you don't see the sanctimony we are reading different threads. I mean this started with negative feelings about people who can lose lots of weight without eating "clean."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So EDUCATE people. Rather than just using churchy words. That's all I'm saying. ASK people, in a want to share way how they construct their diets. And then point out the flaws in their logic. Are january bananas good for you? Probably. Are they "natural" no, perhaps the term you want to use mr MFP user is "nutrient dense"....
    And since you DO know why sprouted grains are better for you than wonder bread, explain that to someone who's dumping them because they're "white".:flowerforyou:

ETA: I have to wonder how many folks who innocently post or ask about "clean" eating are turned off and leave the forums based on all the darned arguments....

Hmm. I do agree with this for a new user who innocently asks about "clean" eating. I actually think that's what I try to do, and even what I started with my first post in this one (the one where I said I don't know what "clean" means but if you mean "eating healthy" that's not actually how I understand "clean" but is great blah, blah). I was hoping to open the door to what "clean" meant if not just healthy or if healthy why "clean" wasn't really the right term. But then we got 87 posts about how clean eating is better than eating Twinkies 24/7 or some such, and it's that false dichotomy (yes, if I don't care about organic bananas or think non homemade yogurt is fine or even--gasp--eat my friend's homemade biscuit at book club and veggies out of season I must be some junk food junky who never eats a vegetable) that drives me batty.

Also, if you don't see the sanctimony we are reading different threads. I mean this started with negative feelings about people who can lose lots of weight without eating "clean."
    Do you also see "sanctimony" in the "I eat whatever I want" threads?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I understand that the number of calories consumed is a number regardless of what it is, as long as you eat within your deficit you will lose weight. So what impact does clean eating have? Will you lose weight faster, is it better in the long run? I feel better when I eat clean . . .

There's your pay off! Whatever floats your boat and you can stick with to your goals.
    . . . and get frustrated when I see people losing weight faster than me that eat less calories and their calories are from junk or packaged or diet foods.

I bet you'll be a lot happier in the long run if you focus on you and what you want and what you accomplish and try hard not to pay attention to anything someone else is doing.
    [/quote]
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My only issue with this "eating clean" fad is the way it can become an obsession. As a social worker I see a number of cases of Orthorexia (not yet in the DSM but generally recognized). Orthorexia is an unhealthy obsession with being healthy. This is when eating styles and decisions impact your social life and infultrate all waking thoughts. I get nervous when people begin to classify foods as good or bad - healthy or unhealthy - clean or dirty because these are all trigger words in the condition. Its the villification of food types based on an assumed dichotomy. Moderation is key for health - both physical and mental. Obsessing over the types of food one eats can turn into nasty thought patterns and then your file ends up on my desk.

Just my two cents.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My only issue with this "eating clean" fad is the way it can become an obsession. As a social worker I see a number of cases of Orthorexia (not yet in the DSM but generally recognized). Orthorexia is an unhealthy obsession with being healthy. This is when eating styles and decisions impact your social life and infultrate all waking thoughts. I get nervous when people begin to classify foods as good or bad - healthy or unhealthy - clean or dirty because these are all trigger words in the condition. Its the villification of food types based on an assumed dichotomy. Moderation is key for health - both physical and mental. Obsessing over the types of food one eats can turn into nasty thought patterns and then your file ends up on my desk.

Just my two cents.
    As can calorie counting. We've seen it NUMEROUS times here.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Just my two cents.

To be fair the entire site/app is based on counting calories.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Just my two cents.

There is no question that calorie counting can be unhealthy sometimes. This is how conditions like anorexia occur. That being said those conditions are often more recognized compared to conditions like orthorexia which is a relatively new realization on the part of the medical community.

Any obsession that impacts your daily functioning is inherently a bad thing whether it be counting calorie obsessively or dichotomizing everything into good and bad. This I why I argue moderation in all things is critical.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Just my two cents.

To be fair the entire site/app is based on counting calories.
    Of course. That doesn't negate my statement that people have developed obsessions and full blown eating disorders from counting calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Just my two cents.

There is no question that calorie counting can be unhealthy sometimes. This is how conditions like anorexia occur. That being said those conditions are often more recognized compared to conditions like orthorexia which is a relatively new realization on the part of the medical community.

Any obsession that impacts your daily functioning is inherently a bad thing whether it be counting calorie obsessively or dichotomizing everything into good and bad. This I why I argue moderation in all things is critical.
    Yup. Not disagreeing there.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    While I am not a fan of the taste of soap, I do prefer the texture over mud.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is much more important than losing weight, although the two might overlap. You could lose weight eating nothing but poptarts, if you burned more calories than you ate. However, if you continued just eating junk, you'll become malnourished, have high cholesterol, be at risk for diabetes, etc. When you get older, you'd be at much greater risk for osteoporosis, heart failure, and cancer. Eating clean will allow you to establish healthy eating habits for the rest of your life, long after you've reached your goal weight. Remember that the number on the scale is a poor indicator of health. Eating clean and filling your body with nutritious food helps ensure that you get enough fiber, calcium, iron, protein, omega-3s and much more.

THIS!!! 100% Agree
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    While I am not a fan of the taste of soap, I do prefer the texture over mud.
    and?
    :yawn:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In for psychosomatic feel goods and rainbows.

Honestly, for sustainability. I don't define foods by these terms. Nutrient density is how I judge my foods to meet my nutrient needs...then I eat cake.

Pretty much this is me...except I'm not all that fond of cake...but I like beer...and gummy bears.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I like eating clean because it's healthier and it keeps me full and satiated. I have less headaches and digestion issues, I sleep better and I personally lose weight faster when eating clean.

This for your body to act to max potential for weight lost micro nutrients might be more important than macro nutrients.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    In for psychosomatic feel goods and rainbows.

Honestly, for sustainability. I don't define foods by these terms. Nutrient density is how I judge my foods to meet my nutrient needs...then I eat cake.

Pretty much this is me...except I'm not all that fond of cake...but I like beer...and gummy bears.
    Wine (and beer)