going to bed full on net -28 calories...

Options
Due to heavy cardio and low calorie but filling food and a ton of water (13 cups today), I am going to go to bed not hungry at all at -28 net calories - probably less considering that even though I sit at a desk for 9.5 hours a day - and therefore set my activity level to sedentary, I was actually quite active over all... +300 net yesterday same thing. Felt totally fine today.

I know this is a "noob" thing to do, but I'm not too worried because I feel good. I'm definitely going to gradually up the calories to recommended numbers, but for now I am taking advantage of my noobiness as long as I'm not feeling light headed or weak. Most of us including myself have done this and slowly gone back up, and down, and up, and down, and up.... and? But with the help of this website I honestly just can't wait to get to my goal weight so I can switch to a maintenance lifestyle and see where that takes me. This is key for my success. I'm not focused on the number on the scale, I just want to get down 20 lbs. or so and start from there, until I get there it is just 100% noob style.

Embrace the super motivated noob, but just make it a quick hug. Don't think of reaching your goal weight as the journey, think of the rest of your life after you get to that goal the journey. These are two completely different things.

Caution - This isn't the same as only consuming 300 calories with no exercise... or eating some celery and no exercise for -28 net. I ate a lot of food both days, a lot of good filling food at each meal, no garbage empty calorie stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You may feel fine now, but I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it. Your car doesn't like running on fumes and neither will your body. And while you may see scale numbers go down (which you say you don't care about), you can say goodbye to lean muscle right along with any fat you may lose.

Just because you ate a bunch of "filling food" that was low cal and you don't feel hungry at the moment doesn't mean it was adequate fuel for your body. If you really want to do this for life, start practicing proper eating NOW - not after you've lost your lean body mass, screwed up your metabolism and hormones.

Negative net cals is no bueno. :noway: I'll stick with never netting below my BMR (1400), taking a small cut from TDEE and never having to worry about being under-fueled for workouts or life in general, let alone light-headed or faint. Hit goal weight eating this way and have kept it off for over 2 years. :drinker: Lost the fat, kept the muscle.

Good luck!
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Ya the weekend is coming too.. so... probably going to net my goal of 1500 and should still be losing lbs. on that. Eat to live, but still enjoy it. It is possible.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Yeah, it is possible - I eat around 2000 calories a day - pizza, burgers, beer, ice cream, donuts - and I have lost the weight and kept it off.

So why are you going with negative net cals? :huh:
  • mandez19
    Options
    You may feel fine now, but I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it. Your car doesn't like running on fumes and neither will your body. And while you may see scale numbers go down (which you say you don't care about), you can say goodbye to lean muscle right along with any fat you may lose.

Just because you ate a bunch of "filling food" that was low cal and you don't feel hungry at the moment doesn't mean it was adequate fuel for your body. If you really want to do this for life, start practicing proper eating NOW - not after you've lost your lean body mass, screwed up your metabolism and hormones.

Negative net cals is no bueno. :noway: I'll stick with never netting below my BMR (1400), taking a small cut from TDEE and never having to worry about being under-fueled for workouts or life in general, let alone light-headed or faint. Hit goal weight eating this way and have kept it off for over 2 years. :drinker: Lost the fat, kept the muscle.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise, this current state should prove to be very short lived and obviously unsustainable. I was trying to highlight that in my post. I will at least be maintaining lean mass based on how much I exercise though. Would have like to take in a bit more protein looking at the numbers.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

Good luck!

QFT! Couldn't have said it better!
  • mandez19
    Options
    Yeah, it is possible - I eat around 2000 calories a day - pizza, burgers, beer, ice cream, donuts - and I have lost the weight and kept it off.

Do you actually eat that every day? You should probably go to the doctor soon... to quote what you just told me, you might feel fine, but you could be headed for disaster.
  • mandez19
    Options

Good luck!

Do you "QFT" eating "pizza, burgers, beer, ice cream, donuts" all the time? That sounds like a great idea.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Do you actually eat that every day? You should probably go to the doctor soon... to quote what you just told me, you might feel fine, but you could be headed for disaster.
    Do i eat 2000 cals every day, or pizza, burgers, etc?

The cals, yes, or close to it, sometimes more than that. And no of course I don't eat those foods daily, but often - burgers probably at least once a week. Diary is open, feel free to have a look. Real food, all the time, plenty of cals, but still in a deficit so I don't gain.

No disasters. :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Good luck!

Do you "QFT" eating "pizza, burgers, beer, ice cream, donuts" all the time? That sounds like a great idea.
    Like I said - these things all show up in my diary on a regular basis, some weekly, some a couple of times a month, but yes, I still eat those foods. So yes, QFT applies. Calories in, calories out.
  • mandez19
    Options
    OH sorry I thought you meant you eat that every day. I was like say waaaaaaa? For sure on the weekends I have a few beers and whatnot, in fact I am interested to see how that is going to go down on my calories in. I figure if I can get through a few weeks of just the weekdays at various amount under my goal and drop a bunch of pounds while still exercising daily and feeling good I should ride that train. Knowing my stop is coming soon. I just thought it would be nice for people starting out to understand that the first few weeks can be crazy. I just don't see a big problem with it if you understand what is going on.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise, this current state should prove to be very short lived and obviously unsustainable. I was trying to highlight that in my post. I will at least be maintaining lean mass based on how much I exercise though. Would have like to take in a bit more protein looking at the numbers.

"Heavy cardio" (your words) will not be helpful in maintaining lean mass, quite the opposite. Only heavy lifting would help you there, but not enough to balance the negative of your heavy cardio.

ETA: Being barely overweight will also work against you in terms of keeping lean mass on an excessive deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OH sorry I thought you meant you eat that every day. I was like say waaaaaaa? For sure on the weekends I have a few beers and whatnot, in fact I am interested to see how that is going to go down on my calories in. I figure if I can get through a few weeks of just the weekdays at various amount under my goal and drop a bunch of pounds while still exercising daily and feeling good I should ride that train. Knowing my stop is coming soon. I just thought it would be nice for people starting out to understand that the first few weeks can be crazy. I just don't see a big problem with it if you understand what is going on.

Losing weight fast almost guarantees losing muscle mass. Pushing your body until it forces you to stop is just not a good idea and a dangerous message to give to people just starting out. If you lose weight the first couple of weeks by exercising too much and eating way to little, you will just gain it all back when you hit the wall. This is how you start a cycle of yo-yo dieting. And for some, this is how you start to develop an ED.

There is no reason to go to such extremes. Just figure out a healthy calorie goal to lose a lb a week, enjoy your food, stay fit with exercise, and lose the weight in a healthy manner that you can maintain for the rest of your life.
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your exercise calories from the MFP database?
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Seconding the "where do you get your exercise burns from" question. I would need to run at least a half marathon to burn 1400 calories. Are you doing that every day?
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I;m gonna play "devils advocate" here.....and say that you're "calories burned" are likely inaccurate ;) The machines at the gyms, the various heart rate monitors, even MFP itself.....are only based on averages......I've seen some crazy variations under my own circumstances ;)

What I've started doing, after I do my cardio session, I take the "average" of my MFP reading, the machine reading, and my HRM reading.....

Then I log this number (round to the nearest whole number.....) - makes for a good estimate ;) Now as far as Fitbit goes....can't help yas there for those that use it, since I personally don't have one and don;t know how it's updates sync.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So good thing is you are probably eating more than you think, and not burning as much as you think. Your diary you use generic entries, cup measurements.

How many miles is your commute on the bike? A daily burn of 1000 calories + on your bike ride I have a hard time believing.

Now next question why is a 30 year old male with less than 20 lbs to lose eating 1410 calories???

I'm 13 years older than you, female, and normally I eat 1600-1900 calories and have lost a little weight

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Read these links they will help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck

ETA: Forgot the links, I shouldn't comment while on my 1st cup of coffee.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So good thing is you are probably eating more than you think, and not burning as much as you think. Your diary you use generic entries, cup measurements.

How many miles is your commute on the bike? A daily burn of 1000 calories + on your bike ride I have a hard time believing.

Now next question why is a 30 year old male with less than 20 lbs to lose eating 1410 calories???

I'm 13 years older than you, female, and normally I eat 1600-1900 calories and have lost a little weight

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Read these links they will help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck

ETA: Forgot the links, I shouldn't comment while on my 1st cup of coffee.

all of this...and to the person who said if you feel fine go for it...No Just No