Scared of going to the gym

Options
Hi everyone :)

I'm an 18 year old girl who has always been overweight. Between the ages of around 5 and 12 I was quite badly overweight even though I was very active and cycled every day, because my parents just fed me crap and let me eat whatever I wanted. My weight didn't really bother me until I started secondary school, where I was badly bullied for my appearance. I began starving myself at age 13 and lost a lot of weight. I actually looked pretty good (when I look back on pictures that were taken of me) but because I was still being bullied, I couldn't see it, and I just began binge eating again. When I was 16 I weighed nearly 150lbs and I'm 5ft3.

Since leaving secondary school I've drastically improved my diet and began exercising 3 - 5 times per week. I now weigh around 130lbs and wear a UK size 10. I feel so much better but I still want to lose another 14lbs or so.

The thing is - I feel like I need a gym membership to do this. I want to have access to the variation of cardio machines and I also want to start weight training. Because I still feel like I'm fat and unattractive, I don't want to go to a gym because I'm scared I'll feel like 11 year old me again. Fat, ugly and bullied for just existing.

Is there any way I can bring the gym to me so I don't have to go and be judged by all the slim, lean, fit people? I don't earn much money at the moment so I can't buy any expensive equipment.

Please help! Years of bullying and feeling **** about myself is hard to just forget about so I can man up and go to a gym. :(

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Trust me.
    Most everyone at the gym is focused on themselves.
    You should do the same.

The idea that the gym will be like school as far as bullying & disapproving looks etc. is irrational :flowerforyou:

Get your playlist ready with some crankin' music & do your thing like no one's watching :wink:
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the decision to get healthy and fit! One thing I would recommend in general is that you may want to look into counseling to address the lingering effects of being bullied, as I'd imagine that was a pretty traumatic experience that won't just up and disappear just because you've lost weight. If there are options that are affordable near you, it's something you should really think about.

Now, to the question at hand, fortunately there are lots of bodyweight workouts you can do at home if you aren't quite ready for the gym and can't afford a bunch of equipment. Look into You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or check out the beginner bodyweight workout on NerdFitness: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Good luck!
  • smilearoo
    Options
    I agree with hookilau. I am totally intimidated by the gym too, but it's like the first day of school. You just have to give it time and you will find that you will feel more comfortable. You are only 18- you have to start getting comfortable at the gym now because as you get older you need it more and more. Also, ramp up the strength training. If you can increase your lean muscle mass and reduce body fat your body will become more efficient and burn more calories on it's own. I've lost about 22 pounds now although only 11 are on here because I did the first 10 or so before I started fitness pal. I was a cardio fiend and the first thing my trainer said was if you are going to do anything it should be strength. Be brave! You might even find some friends at the gym who will support you. Also, you can shop around. Most gyms let you try it for free for a day. Find one that feels like a good fit! Good luck!
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do you have any friends who work out? It might be helpful to join the same gym as them and ease into it with their assistance. I'm incredibly grateful to a couple of friends who really took me under their wing and helped me get started in the gym when I was ready.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have a plan (cardio machines & weight training). Put that plan together and go in with confidence. Everyone else is there for the exact same reason as you, to get/stay in shape. You're a young adult now, not in grade school, don't let the few(er) idiots out there have any effect on you. If you need a little help to get immersed, find a gym with a good trainer. This will help you get your routine down and acclimate you to the gym atmosphere. Worry about yourself, not the others, and the gym will be yours. Remember that bullys only bully for the reaction. If you give them what they want, they'll keep coming back for more, don't and they'll get bored and move on. Good Luck and get to the gym!!!!
  • hookilau
    Options
    Do you have any friends who work out? It might be helpful to join the same gym as them and ease into it with their assistance. I'm incredibly grateful to a couple of friends who really took me under their wing and helped me get started in the gym when I was ready.

This is a good idea too! My husband and I took our kids (18 & 25 yrs old) to the gym & started them on a beginner program of compound lifts. While the 18 yr old (boy) was not as body conscious, my daughter certainly was.

I was hard to get her form good to do squats because she felt like it was awkward & people were looking, etc. I told her to look around at other people, when she did, she realized no one was watching her & we ALL look the same when squatting :laugh:

We took video of them a couple of times to show them how to check for form etc, when she saw she looked like everyone else & that it looked like she knew what she was doing, she actually became a little cocky -__-

That was about 2 months ago, now they go together on their schedule. When she started to get comments on how high her butt got, how shapely her arms are etc. she got over her lack of confidence real quick.

The boy is the same way :laugh: The two of them are no longer shy about showing off biceps, calves, etc.

edited for typos
  • EmiLouize
    Options
    What I'm most worried about is starting strength training. I think I could just about manage to jump on a treadmill for 45 minutes with my earphones in, but I'll be way more exposed using free weights or whatever. I also have a horrible phobia of mirrors and seeing my reflection, so the thought of having to watch my form etc. in a large gym mirror makes me feel a bit sick.

But at the same time I'm desperate to start lifting weights because I've always been naturally quite strong and I think I'd love it so much more than cardio. My mum used to have loads of weights and barbells that I used occasionally (mainly for fun, I had no idea what I was doing with them) but they're long gone now.

So conflicted! :(

By the way, I've already been to the doctor to discuss counselling regarding my self-esteem and anxiety issues and I've so far had a telephone consultation with a therapist. I have to wait around a month for my first appointment though. :(
  • hookilau
    Options
    What I'm most worried about is starting strength training. I think I could just about manage to jump on a treadmill for 45 minutes with my earphones in, but I'll be way more exposed using free weights or whatever. I also have a horrible phobia of mirrors and seeing my reflection, so the thought of having to watch my form etc. in a large gym mirror makes me feel a bit sick.

Then do just that.
    Done.

After you become comfortable with that, you can consider moving forward. By that time, you'll likely be further on the road to speaking to a professional about your fears & be well on your way to developing coping skills.

Working below your threshold of anxiety will be more helpful than overloading yourself before you have coping skills set in place. Also, just because there are mirrors there, doesn't mean you *have* to look.

I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • EmiLouize
    Options
    The only friend I have who goes to the gym only goes for cardio. My boyfriend's been asking if we could join the gym together (he definitely wants to do some strength training because he's just skin, bone and a layer of muscle) but my fears are holding me back. He's an absolutely lovely guy who's been with me since I was my heaviest and he never talks to me about my weight or fitness goals unless I bring them up first. But even he can't persuade me to go! :(
  • EmiLouize
    Options
    Thanks for all your help so far. You're all very encouraging! :)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I know it doesn't make sense, but only after losing 20 pounds do I feel even slightly able to get a membership. I thought I was too over weight. Crazy, I know. I feel so much better about my body since losing, my confidence rate has soared. Just do it, I'm joining today and walking in that weight room. You can too!:flowerforyou:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe think about having a few sessions with a personal trainer to get you used to it, then you can be shown how to use the weights and so on.

I've been a gym member for years now (I'm 36) but I was the same as you, overweight at school and bullied at times. I first joined with a flatmate when I was about 23, and I soon realised that no-one cares what you do.

I'm currently losing weight after my third baby (she's 16 weeks now) and believe me, when I went back to the gym at 6 weeks post partum I did not look slim and trim! I do strength training, and while I don't like to see myself in the mirror, it is good to check form.

Just plan your workout, put your headphones in, and off you go :)
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    FEAR has 2 ways to look at it.

Forget everything and run
    Face everything and rise.

As others have said, no one in the gym cares why you are there, or for the matter what you are doing. I know when I go, all I care about is getting my hour in and getting out the door.

You can do it. Don't let your past bullies continue to control how you approach the rest of your life, find your strength within and become the person you want to be.

99 percent of people out there are to worried about what they have going on in there own lives to worry about what a stranger in the gym is doing. The other 1 percent, who cares about them. Don't be ruled by the 1 percent, and for damn sure don't let them keep you from accomplishing YOUR goals.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Honestly you will just have to get in there and do it. I am 50 years old and just started going to the gym last month. I can't worry about what other people might think because I am not doing this for them, but for me. Do I get self conscious and intimidated, sure, but I just work through it.

Take yesterday for instance, I have been wanting to start on the squat machine, but I have been putting it off because I wasn't really sure how to do it right. I decided to take the plunge and just walked up to a guy nearest the machine and asked for his advice. He took me over there and helped me with my form and everything. Most people there will be happy to help if you ask.

A gym is not like school. People are there to work on themselves, not to bully. When I see really heavy (which YOU are not) or older people at the gym, it makes me smile. They are trying to improve their lives and that my dear is a wonderful thing.

The sooner you get in the gym and start working hard, you will notice a change in your thought process as well as your body. You will become more confident and feel better about yourself. The negativity and low self esteem you seem to suffer from will start to go away. It's amazing what great therapy exercise is. After a few days at the gym, you will be kicking yourself for not having gone sooner.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Misty
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is what my friend has in her profile. i think it's very fitting.
    I believe in fighting. I've gotten past enough to not be afraid of anything anymore. Fear of failure is the worst kind of weakness. It keeps a person from even trying, and what is more valiantly human than trying the unknown? Starting to run isn't building a flying machine. The gym isn't that scary. Entering the weight room isn't landing on Mars. They're not all staring. So I did something stupid. I won't do it next time. Somebody was rude. Hey, welcome to the world.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG on your decision to join, go early at first. I go at 5:00 a.m. and there are only a handful of people there. After a few weeks, when your confidence is built up, you will realize no one is even paying attention and you will have gotten over the initial fear.
    Best of luck!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    If you look around the gym you'll see that no one is paying attention to you. They're all in their own little lifting world with their headphones plugged into their ears. Seriously, no one is watching you or judging you. We're all there for the same reason.

My gym had a complimentary session with the personal trainer and he showed me a lot of exercises I can do along with the proper form. If you're that nervous, see if you can work with a personal trainer. All you need is one or two sessions and the first ones are usually free with the membership.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Frankly, you're just going to have to do it. Trust me when I say that no one there is watching you or judging you. For the most part, everyone there is so focused on themselves and getting their work out done that they don't have time to look around and think about anyone else.

This is one of those moments where you need to get out of your own head and just do it.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared, the people at the gym are there for the same reason you are and nobody there will judge you, frown upon you or bully you. It's not grade school, it's real adults just like you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    this is what my friend has in her profile. i think it's very fitting.
    I believe in fighting. I've gotten past enough to not be afraid of anything anymore. Fear of failure is the worst kind of weakness. It keeps a person from even trying, and what is more valiantly human than trying the unknown? Starting to run isn't building a flying machine. The gym isn't that scary. Entering the weight room isn't landing on Mars. They're not all staring. So I did something stupid. I won't do it next time. Somebody was rude. Hey, welcome to the world.

I love this :heart: