Day 1 on the "new" SEC Diet!!!

Options

Replies

• sbox11
    sbox11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is this the diet where you watch SEC football and drink beer? GAME-

^^Ha! That's what I was thinking (which is what led me to clicking on the topic anyway)!

Edited to add: Why not just do the SEE plan? Stop Eating Everything. Really, I'm over the fad diets. If it works for you, go for it. I'm sure you will feel better at the end of the day by not putting "crap" into your body. But changing what you eat is not going to get you to lose weight if you don't eat in proper portions and under your TDEE level. Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this was a college football thread :grumble:

Me too. Gig 'em!

Dear OP, I will give up boxed wine with you because, well, I don't drink it anyway.

Me three, and I'm with you on giving up boxed wine. However, I'll continue drinking my Malbecs and Pinot Grigios, eating ice cream, and waiting for football season to start!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Good luck OP. I really hope you will excel at this, lose the weight, and you will be able to sustain it for life.

Personally, I do not believe in demonizing food, I do have certain foods that are harder for me to say "no" to than others, and those are foods that I buy in small packages, so I don't derail everything I've worked so hard for.

I've actually found that this has helped me with my resistance. For instance, in the past I wasn't able to buy a full sized bag of bbq chips without eating half of it. So when I wanted some, I would buy 1 snack/lunch sized bag and enjoy. Now, I can handle the temptation, by having one serving and then walking away.

However, I still don't trust myself to buy those breakable cookies. Those I haven't been able to conquer just yet.

Give it your all and do the your best.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Eat 'junk' food every day!!!! Haha!!! :laugh:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Me too. Gig 'em!

Dear OP, I will give up boxed wine with you because, well, I don't drink it anyway.

Me three, and I'm with you on giving up boxed wine. However, I'll continue drinking my Malbecs and Pinot Grigios, eating ice cream, and waiting for football season to start!

Me too... no boxed wine for me. Although I have always eaten a lot of crap food and just eat less now, I'm still not mean enough to myself to drink boxed wine. If I was stuck on an island and the only thing to eat/drink was boxed wine... ok, in that case, it would be a last resort and I might do it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I thought it'd be about the Securities and Exchange Commission. :happy:
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eating crap is frequently encouraged here.

I think you've misunderstood. What I see is a lot of people encouraging a more permissive attitude. Very few, if any, posters urge people to eat "crap". Just because they point out that you can indeed have junk food if it fits into your calorie allotment, it certainly doesn't mean they're saying you SHOULD eat junk food. Eat it if you want it (but remember your deficit), and if you don't want to, don't. For many people, strict eating rules often lead to failure because it's unsustainable for them. Others do well with them.

If restriction (and/or labelling foods as healthy/unhealthy) is what floats your boat, then by all means go for it. Clearly it is what works for you. But please don't twist the words of others and make this into an Us vs. Them fight, with a side of "you just have to want it badly enough". Live and let live, eh?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Eating all healthy food is not necessary for weight loss and people really don't want to give it up.

You can lose weight making portion adjustments, but a lifestyle change - switching to a whole new, healthy lifestyle - is better for you. When you're done losing weight, you'll just go on without having to pay it much attention.

Some people will say it isn't possible. They like to use the word "unsustainable." But it is possible. People do make those changes. It's not EASY, but it can be done and has been done before. Lots of people wait until after the heart attack to make those kind of changes. But some people decide to do it sooner and just skip the heart attack.

What you're doing is good for you. Don't be discouraged from it. :)

No, it is not. Not giving up foods you like, enjoy, and want to eat in the name of weight loss is encouraged here. It's not even close to the same thing.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've lost 66lbs since April 18th and while I eat well I also allow myself chocolate(good, dark stuff), steak, beer, eggs, half and half in my coffee, etc.

It's about moderation, not deprivation.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    In what way are the foods you listed "crap"?

Last time I checked, they were just food. And yummy food at that. Why do you feel the need to give them up? Do they taste terrible? Do you have an intolerance to them? Allergy?

I eat all of those things all the time in moderation. Didn't hinder me losing 58 lbs one bit and I am completely happy with my yummy food choices.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those things in moderation. In the context of a balanced and nutritious diet, ice cream and boxed wine are really no biggie.

Good luck, OP. I hope you find a sustainable plan that helps you meet all of your goals. :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I think you've misunderstood. What I see is a lot of people encouraging a more permissive attitude. Very few, if any, posters urge people to eat "crap". Just because they point out that you can indeed have junk food if it fits into your calorie allotment, it certainly doesn't mean they're saying you SHOULD eat junk food. Eat it if you want it (but remember your deficit), and if you don't want to, don't. For many people, strict eating rules often lead to failure because it's unsustainable for them. Others do well with them.

If restriction (and/or labelling foods as healthy/unhealthy) is what floats your boat, then by all means go for it. Clearly it is what works for you. But please don't twist the words of others and make this into an Us vs. Them fight, with a side of "you just have to want it badly enough". Live and let live, eh?
    I didn't label the foods as unhealthy, lol. That's not a personal decision. There ARE foods that are bad for you. They are unhealthy.

I get that some people don't believe that junk food exists. I also get that some do believe it exists, but that it can't hurt you if it's only 1/5 of your diet. I do wish them well. I hope they enjoy their Oreos and I hope they don't have to pay for it later. Some people do get through life eating those things and never pay the price and I'm very happy for those people. I am aware, though, that not everyone is so lucky.

I think that those who want to eat healthy food should be encouraged. I will continue to encourage them.
  • sparklegirl59
    sparklegirl59 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wonderful responses all! Sorry about this not being about football!! heehee. I eat these foods to excess and go way beyond my calorie allotment for the day. No calorie defict. I need to eat these "favorite crap foods" in moderation, but I don't. I should. Wine drinkers, try the Black Box brand Cabernet, it is a good every day drinker - also Bota Box Malbec. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Wonderful responses all! Sorry about this not being about football!! heehee. I eat these foods to excess and go way beyond my calorie allotment for the day. No calorie defict. I need to eat these "favorite crap foods" in moderation, but I don't. I should. Wine drinkers, try the Black Box brand Cabernet, it is a good every day drinker - also Bota Box Malbec. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Maybe you don't tell yourself you can't have it but you don't necessarily have it in the house either? For example, I love Baked Lays potato chips. But I will eat the whole bag if they're here in the house so I don't buy them. But if I'm at Subway or some other place that offers a single serving bag, I have it. Would something like that work for you?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

And I think the advice you are getting from the "moderation" crowd is that we all know that limiting these foods can be challenging, but if you start calling them "crap" and completely cut them out, that MAY not be sustainable. For some people, who have posted on this thread, they intend to live the rest of their life and not eat Oreos. I personally, would not find that a lifestyle that I could adhere to forever. Many people who try to take the restrictions to extremes end up letting one of their forbidden foods in, then they feel so guilty, they throw everything else out the window and binge or give up.

Rather than the "SEC Diet" I prefer the "EYFTYEIM" diet. Eat Yummy Food That You Enjoy In Moderation. It's not as catchy, but no one will think that is a football thread and be disappointed when they open it up.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    "WAR EAGLE!"

Oops.....this is not about football, is it?

My bad, yo!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    A life without cookies and ice cream is no life at all, this "diet" of yours sounds miserable, and just waiting to fail.

Rigger
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I didn't label the foods as unhealthy, lol. That's not a personal decision. There ARE foods that are bad for you. They are unhealthy.

I get that some people don't believe that junk food exists. I also get that some do believe it exists, but that it can't hurt you if it's only 1/5 of your diet. I do wish them well. I hope they enjoy their Oreos and I hope they don't have to pay for it later. Some people do get through life eating those things and never pay the price and I'm very happy for those people. I am aware, though, that not everyone is so lucky.

I think that those who want to eat healthy food should be encouraged. I will continue to encourage them.

Which foods specifically are bad for us and unhealthy? And how can you state unequivocally that certain foods are bad and unhealthy, yet then state that there are people who can eat them their entire lives and never suffer ill effects?

The point here, which I know has been made in every other cleaning eating thread where you make this same argument, is that it is not the food itself, it's the amount and the diet as a whole which will determine the outcome.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Me too. Gig 'em!

Sounds like a plan, Jan. :drinker:
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I will also pledge to drink up drinking boxed wine

Because it's icky.