I have noticed some saying weight loss surgery is a tool.

Options
jimennis
jimennis Posts: 80 Member
I guess I don't understand that logic. I find MFP and exercise programs to be tools. I find surgery as a last ditch effort for someone who cannot get their mind and body in sync. I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out. You thoughts?

Replies

• blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also consider it the easy way out. The lazy way to lose weight.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out

Contradictory statement is contradictory.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If you don't modify your eating habits, you're going to regain the weight, even with the surgery. While it's not the route I chose to take, I think it's unfair to say those people don't work just as hard as someone that hasn't had it. Maybe harder since they have to be extra careful so they don't make themselves sick. Different strokes and all that.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Why do you care? Not even trying to be rude, legitimately curious.
  • jimennis
    Options
    You are correct I did do that and I stand corrected. Do you have an opinion?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is no possible way that I would say electing to have a major surgery is an easy way out compared to not having the surgery.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    After reading another thread on here about WLS, I can tell you it's sometimes painful, and you can never eat the same way. Not to mention they still have to count and track like we do. Not the "easy way" by any means.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Tell that to someone who is 350 pounds or more, that can barely get out of their chair let alone walk 15 minutes and there numbers are all way too high?

Eating right and exercising is a tool... Weight loss surgery is also a tool... WLS isn't going to keep the weight off, it only helps someone get to a point where they can do a better job of managing the weight. They will still have to use the other tools as well if they want to keep it off.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think it is a waste of money and I'd never do it. (However, I've never been in the position to consider it as an option)
    But it is a personal choice. I would not look down on someone who had weight loss surgery.

If they can have the procedure and stick with their after-programs and maintain the loss, more power to them!
  • jimennis
    Options
    Easy enough I care because I know state insurances that are funded by tax payers that pay for theses surgeries. I have seen 3 people in my area have them and fail at keeping the weight off. How much did that cost us?
  • jimennis
    Options
    Tell that to someone who is 350 pounds or more, that can barely get out of their chair let alone walk 15 minutes and there numbers are all way too high?

Eating right and exercising is a tool... Weight loss surgery is also a tool... WLS isn't going to keep the weight off, it only helps someone get to a point where they can do a better job of managing the weight. They will still have to use the other tools as well if they want to keep it off.

They couldn't manage it before what changes it after surgery? Its the mind that needs changing>
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I suppose for me, it depends on why the surgery is happening and what type of surgery you're referring to.

People who have gastric bypass surgeries to lose weight are still busting their butts to do it; they still have to control what they eat, learn new healthy habits etc, but for some it's an option to help them begin what is likely to be a long journey.

There are also lots of people who require weight loss surgeries because of the health risks of being the size they are outweigh the benefits of I suppose what you would refer to as a "natural weight loss".

I think it's a tool; it's just not a tool for you. It doesn't fit your situation or what you deem necessary.

But if someone is provided that tool by a weight loss center, specifically by someone with a medical degree, I certainly wouldn't judge them for using that option to begin a better, healthier life, nor would I shame them for it the way your post seems to.

You can have an opinion, but to say that it's an "easy way out" or "lazy" or that they haven't had to "bust their butts" like you have is just being cruel. I guarantee you the people who have these surgeries don't come to the decision lightly; they aren't looking for a quick fix nor do they have the impression that it's going to take them from 300lbs to 130 in no time flat. They're just using the tools that are available to them to begin a healthier life; what would you rather they did, had a heart attack attempting to perform the type of exercise that "busting your butt" might entail before their body is physically able to do so?

Editing to add that the majority of surgeries, such as gastric bypass, are actually done along with counselling and meetings with nutritionists/dietitians or wellness centers to aid people in changing their mindset, learning healthier habits and so on. Just because you've seen three people fail doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of success stories out there.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have known a couple people that had WLS and I can assure you it isn't "The easy way out". They were very morbidly obsese and struggled to even do the simplest of things, for example walking to check the mail or to clean their homes. They used this as a tool to lose some of the weight but they have to work everyday with weight management by staying active and closely monitoring their food intake. I'm not going to judge someone on their weight loss methods, it's a personal thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For many...and I would say most who elect to have this kind of surgery, it's pretty much a do or die kind of thing...they don't have 5 years or whatever to work off 300+ Lbs. You're making this sound as if there are loads of people with some vanity weight they need to lose just saying **** it and electing surgery rather than exercise and diet and I just don't see that being the case.

Anyone I've ever known or seen have this type of surgery has been severely overweight to the point of it basically being a medical emergency.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you don't modify your eating habits, you're going to regain the weight, even with the surgery. While it's not the route I chose to take, I think it's unfair to say those people don't work just as hard as someone that hasn't had it. Maybe harder since they have to be extra careful so they don't make themselves sick. Different strokes and all that.

That's my take on it as well.
    Weight loss surgery is not something I ever would have considered, but I definitely don't consider it an "easy" way to lose weight. I think some people might be interested in surgery because they think it might be easier than doing it the good old fashioned way, but many people who actually undergo surgery for weight loss are facing immediate medical issues. I'm under the impression that losing weight through surgery can be physically uncomfortable (or even painful or dangerous) and difficult. Regardless of which method you choose to lose weight, the only way to keep it off is to change your lifestyle permanently. Some people aren't as good as others at learning to moderate their intake and appetite, so weight loss surgery may be a tool to help them get from point A to point B.

And for the record, I actually feel like losing 81 pounds through diet and exercise was relatively easy for me. The thought of doing it through surgery, recovery, and such a major lifestyle overhaul sounds much harder.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything easy about the surgery, the recovery, or the post-surgical lifestyle.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Even though I have lost 160# by eating at a calorie deficit and moving more, I do not understand the thinking behind this. It comes up here quite often, and I really do not understand why some think it is "the easy way".

You still have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight, plus any surgery has risk, so you are adding risk to the equation.

I am too cheap to have even considered this option, but I say kudos to however you achieve getting healthier.

The odds are stacked against all of us. Many more fail in the long run that have a very long term success keeping the weight off.

Best of luck to all of us, no matter how we get there, and this is an awesome site for helping us along the way!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Actually from what I've heard surgery isn't even the easy way out. There are people who almost die from the procedures, have multiple serious post surgery infections and more. I wouldn't wish Gastric bypass surgery to my worst enemy based on what I've been hearing.

Calorie counting is the best way to lose weight because you are using your mind and your will power to make a healthy life style change. You can lose weight by creating a small calorie deficit and by just being mindful of what you are putting into your body, and you don't have to be a saint either, just log everything and do your best to get to your goals.

Slow and steady wins the race and I'd like to stay out of the hospital and be healthy the rest of my life. Losing weight also isnt' the end game for me, I'm heavy lifting weights now to preserve muscle mass but once I reach my goal weight I plan to work hard to put on muscle mass. I'm calorie counting for life.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Easy enough I care because I know state insurances that are funded by tax payers that pay for theses surgeries. I have seen 3 people in my area have them and fail at keeping the weight off. How much did that cost us?

I've known people to have needed open-heart surgeries and then they eat triple bacon cheeseburgers afterward. How much did -that- cost? These surgeries are not for vanity. These people have to prove to their insurance that they have a life-threatening condition or complications from their weight in order for insurance to cover it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!