Is exercise really necessary

Options
13»

Replies

• sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I forget the page I found it on but this stuck with me: "I run so I can eat". Yeah I can lose weight on 14-1600 calories a day but dang it, I <3 to eat. The more I work out, the more I can eat. :D
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My problem with people who just diet rather than diet + exercise.
    They get skinny but they are still skinny fat. Which means sure
    they are thin, but everything still jiggles cause it has no tone.

Maybe they wanna be skinny fat. I don't know. I don't! Gotta keep that jiggle in check.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    Yes a person can lose weight by just eating less calories, but to do this most people would have to eat an unhealthy amount of calories under 1200 and essentially starve themselves thin. (most likely leads to bingeing and gaining any lost weight back)

No they wouldnt - that doesnt make sense.

To lose they would just have to eat their recomended amount, and no more, as they are not able to eat any exercise calories back as they are not doing any exercise.

for most people, the recomended net amount is not under 1200 so why would they have to eat under 1200 with no exercise?

I dont do much exercise and I successfully lost on a net of 1460 and am maintaining on a net of 1700.

I am 51 years old and on the short side - many people's net amount would be more than mine - and with no exercise, that net amount is exactly what they should eat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with diet alone, but it's almost impossible to maintain with diet alone. To do that you'd have to eat the same amount of calories 7 days a week, 365 days a year without fail. Because any increase in caloric intake (whether it be an extra beer, slice of pizza, slice of cake, etc..) would be a weight gain.

^ that is just silly.

If you are maintaining weight by eating, say, 1700 net calories a day - in order to maintain you have to average 1700 net calories per day.
    If you are not exercising then the net amount stays at 1700 - no extra eating for excercise calories eaten back.

But it is still the average that matters - of course, you do not have to eat exactly the same every single day without fail.:huh:
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    To tone, trim and get fit.