When did Plus Size become sizes 8-20 ?

2»

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    That's about where, for many, the weight gets to be more unhealthy than just a matter of small or big is beautiful.
    I disagree. You can't tell how healthy or overweight someone is just by knowing their clothing size.

When I was obese by BMI, I was a size 10. Other people can be a size 10 and be underweight. Sizes are determined by a combination of bone structure, height, weight and how the clothing is cut. They have nothing to do with health.
  • I disagree. You can't tell how healthy or overweight someone is just by knowing their clothing size.

When I was obese by BMI, I was a size 10. Other people can be a size 10 and be underweight. Sizes are determined by a combination of bone structure, height, weight and how the clothing is cut. They have nothing to do with health.

I entirely agree. When I was 16, I was a size 13, weighed 180 lbs and had a 6-pack. I could also pick up and carry around my 220 lb guy friend and punch through a board. My 350+ lb doctor kept telling me I was obese and at risk for health problems. ???
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    My 350+ lb doctor kept telling me I was obese and at risk for health problems. ???
    This is what gets me... more and more doctors are overweight and tell us that we're not at healthy weights and such when they're unhealthy also.

*steps off soapbox*
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    That's about where, for many, the weight gets to be more unhealthy than just a matter of small or big is beautiful.
    I disagree. You can't tell how healthy or overweight someone is just by knowing their clothing size.

You are right, but if (providing, you HAVE to label something plus size, I prefer it not be a label, but that there just be "sizes" - I actually prefer a shift to measurement sizes rather than ambiguous 6,8.10, 12, sizes anyway...), but.... if you go by % of the population in certain size ranges I am sure you will find an increase in general unhealthyness as the sizes go up. Not everyone... but just a majority. Not to say that those less than those sizes are automatically healthy either... but after a certain point or size many people in that size range start to have health issues connected to their "overage" of size or weight. Sure body types are different, but the super fit all muscle size 16, and the obese size 10 is an anomaly not a majority rule. This also does not address those under weight being healthy or unhealthy compared to their size and weight etc, but we're just talking what is "plus size" here so that's a different issue.
This discussion has been closed.