weigh and measure everything?

Options

Replies

• Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    OP ... in one sentence you claimed you recovered from an your ED only to admit to a current ED ..." I am recovered now for 5 years of my eating disorders yet suffer a less now from binge eating disorder." Nobody has to accuse you of anything, you stated you suffer (present tense of the verb) from an ED.

If you can't weigh foods without it triggering unhealthy behaviors you have two options ... don't weigh and hope you eyeball things accurately enough to stay in a healthy weight range or seek further help so you can get to the point where weighing foods no longer triggers unhealthy behaviors.

I was bashed on this site by posters b/c they think or assume I have anorexia. I do get binge eating urges. I have less and less. But ur right about this site. After my last post I was triggered and binge ate for 2 days and wondered y I gained weight-but I knew. The ppl here can be cruel. But I find my pals on here so supportive, many whom are recovered from all, or have binge eating.
    ----

I think it would be best for me to do my new (helpful) thing (measure not everything) and talk to my friends on here. I notice a stigma, I hate it. It makes me feel like a leper. I am said to be "not one of us" or "like the rest of us." I think that trigger my bed ed. But the others are buried. I am constantly told to seek help. I put that caption due to my last topic the admins had to shut down.

But ty to all for not being bullies I will ask my dr about my binge eating problem, but e.ds are not as easy financially or offered as much as ppl think. Hence y so many die from e.ds Even if u want the help. You won't have the money

When a person gets defensive and introduces ED behavior into a thread before there is any accusation ... it is rather telling. Perhaps it isn't people being "cruel" but people telling you truths that you don't want to hear or face. You admit to an ED in your first post of this thread ... your behaviors indicate an unhealthy relationship with food and basic weight control measures such as measuring ... you get upset and binge when people notice and highlight your rather obvious issues with food.

Idw argue anymore. It's like ppl calling someone something they were and judge them based on that. I was yes anorexic. Yet in many other topic on MFP posters assume I still am. Yet they are the ones saying they measure everything and don't care what they look like as long as they are healthy. Hypocrites they are. But I rather not get into the last thread. I just wanted to know why that is acceptable but asking about thighs with a tiny gap make you anorexic. Plus I was worried if I didn't weigh I wouldn't lose weight. I have said I will see my dr for my bed ed. Ppl saying "I will pretend you are one of us." wtf does that mean? Am I not a human? I am not angry as I type-no tone when ppl type, plz don't assume in haste that I am. I was in the last thread. Not here, just wanted to see if anyone would see, yea those ppl may need a little help too. Idk, I am tired of strangers telling me to go. I will leave u all, I'm gone.

"I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men. This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass."

"
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    I don't know a thing about eating disorders so, I'm just gonna answer as if you were just another one of the rest of us.

How cruel?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have known about the other thread or your belief that others accuse you of anorexia if you hadn't repeatedly injected those facts into this thread. It seems you get upset if people treat you like you have an ED and get upset if they treat you as they treat everyone.

What I see in your posts are several unhealthy traits ... both in relation to food and in general. There is rapid defensive behavior, starting with your first post before anyone here said a thing about you. There is your repeated injection of an ED you claim you've recovered from coupled with admissions to binge eating and seeing weighing/measuring as a trigger ... not exactly an ED free thought pattern. There is your stated ultimate goal weight which is ... well, I'll be nice and say it's a bit low for your height ... but people are "cruel" for noticing what you say and do, right?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

You don't need to measure everything. Only the absolutely fanatics would bother with that.

This statement is ignorant and thoughtless.

I measure everything, and I am far from an "absolute fanatic". I care about what I eat and what goes in my body. It takes literally nine seconds (I timed myself once to settle an argument about it with my sister) or less to measure a serving of food on my digital scale, so I am entirely baffled where people get the idea that only crazy or obsessive people do it. It's fast, it's free, and it gives me concrete data to work with that keeps me on track with my goals. Fanatic. Yep. That's me, the ol' food fanatic. :huh: :noway:

OP, if measuring food is truly "hell" for you (assuming you actually mean that and are not just being dramatic and attention-seeking--I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) I would recommend increasing you therapy with your ED counselor to get over and past it. Thousands of people employ the measuring method in order to stay on track and stay fit and healthy, and no one I've talked to considers it "hell" or "insane". Time to start thinking that the problem lies with you, not how you portion food.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    IANAD.

Measuring and weighing everything isn't necessary, but unless you're good at estimating - and studies show overweight and obese people aren't - it's an essential first step to finding out how much three ounces of anything looks like.

If you can eyeball portions and get it to work, more power to you.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    IANAD.

Measuring and weighing everything isn't necessary, but unless you're good at estimating - and studies show overweight and obese people aren't - it's an essential first step to finding out how much three ounces of anything looks like.

If you can eyeball portions and get it to work, more power to you.

yes ty I see that now. I just use it like the scale for my chia seed etc.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    I wouldn't have known about the other thread or your belief that others accuse you of anorexia if you hadn't repeatedly injected those facts into this thread. It seems you get upset if people treat you like you have an ED and get upset if they treat you as they treat everyone.

What I see in your posts are several unhealthy traits ... both in relation to food and in general. There is rapid defensive behavior, starting with your first post before anyone here said a thing about you. There is your repeated injection of an ED you claim you've recovered from coupled with admissions to binge eating and seeing weighing/measuring as a trigger ... not exactly an ED free thought pattern. There is your stated ultimate goal weight which is ... well, I'll be nice and say it's a bit low for your height ... but people are "cruel" for noticing what you say and do, right?

how tall am I? 5ft4 and 120 is too low?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

It might not be "too" low, but any lower and you might be entering underweight territory. To give perspective, In this picture
    <
    I am 108 pounds at just under five feet.

You are at a great weight now. If you are still unhappy with your appearance, start lifting heavy weights to maintain your muscle mass and lose the last little bit of body fat.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

It's funny how that differs from your claim on August 11th when you were 5'6 with an ugw of 105. Did you shrink and change your goals since then?

ETA - It's noteworthy that of all the things said in my earlier post the only thing you focused on was the ugw.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options

It might not be "too" low, but any lower and you might be entering underweight territory. To give perspective, In this picture
    <

You are at a great weight now. If you are still unhappy with your appearance, start lifting heavy weights to maintain your muscle mass and lose the last little bit of body fat.

Yea see that is the thing, I see ppl who are like you and u weigh so little but are super toned. So my gw will change (when I see results. I put a rough estimate on my goals.). Idw be skinny dead like, I want to look good (how I see fit)and feel good :D Hell the more I must way the more food I get right:P Gotta feed my muscles

You look amazing. I always think muscle will make you weigh more, but it is 1lbs just like fat but dense.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure what I eat. If that makes me a fanatic, so be it.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    I weigh and measure what I eat. If that makes me a fanatic, so be it.

That is great, but so did my eating disorder, now I feel better. And understand I don't have to weigh EVERYTHING. Just be aware of portion control. I will measure when baking for sure lol
  • brianpperkins
    Options

<

Yea see that is the thing, I see ppl who are like you and u weigh so little but are super toned. So my gw will change (when I see results. I put a rough estimate on my goals.). Idw be skinny dead like, I want to look good (how I see fit)and feel good :D Hell the more I must way the more food I get right:P Gotta feed my muscles

You look amazing. I always think muscle will make you weigh more, but it is 1lbs just like fat but dense.

Did you even pay attention to the fact she is 4-6" (depending which of your posts we are to believe) shorter than you or did you only pay attention to the number of pounds?
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options

<

Did you even pay attention to the fact she is 4-6" (depending which of your posts we are to believe) shorter than you or did you only pay attention to the number of pounds?

why are you hating so hard? I was more interested in her toned body than her weight. Calm down boy
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hi OP - I think you've identified weighing your food as a possible trigger for your ED. How have you been taught to handle triggers? If you can't practice weighing food without risking a backward slide, my guess is that you should avoid the trigger!

I think you can still eat in a healthy and successful manner just using a measuring cup and whatever else you can do comfortably. If you don't make progress for three weeks, look back over your MFP food diary for the prior weeks and look for places to decrease amounts.

I hope you can have the support of a nutritionist.

You are already beautiful.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

<

why are you hating so hard? I was more interested in her toned body than her weight. Calm down boy

I'm not hating at all. I am noticing the trends of your post content. You change your height and goal weight between threads and posts (2" and 15lbs ugw is quite a bit of change) ... you have an apparent focus on low weight in yourself and others, whether it is healthy or not (in All Out's case, it is a healthy weight for her height. Neither of the two goal weights you posted on Aug 11 were in the healthy range) ... it all goes back to the preemptive defensiveness and invoking previous threads where you think people were cruel for noticing and commenting on the content of your posts.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Talk to a professional
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    Hi OP - I think you've identified weighing your food as a possible trigger for your ED. How have you been taught to handle triggers? If you can't practice weighing food without risking a backward slide, my guess is that you should avoid the trigger!

I think you can still eat in a healthy and successful manner just using a measuring cup and whatever else you can do comfortably. If you don't make progress for three weeks, look back over your MFP food diary for the prior weeks and look for places to decrease amounts.

Thanks I just want to get back to my norm weight. Well better and not have to go crazy. Yes I have been taught. I ignore the ppl (ppl can be vicious or use a diff method of the same idea) ty for the concern

I'm not hating at all. I am noticing the trends of your post content. You change your height and goal weight between threads and posts (2" and 15lbs ugw is quite a bit of change) ... you have an apparent focus on low weight in yourself and others, whether it is healthy or not (in All Out's case, it is a healthy weight for her height. Neither of the two goal weights you posted on Aug 11 were in the healthy range) ... it all goes back to the preemptive defensiveness and invoking previous threads where you think people were cruel for noticing and commenting on the content of your posts.

I'm not sure what Her height and weight has to do with me.

Nor do I recall saying I was 5ft6. Plus many ppl change their weight goals right? Mine was a low 110. But I upped it to 120 lbs. Isn't that better? If I wanted to go back to my anorexia (no ty) I wouldn't be on this site I'd go to a pro e.d site.

Idk y ur so angry. My e.d cannot be cured with a pill like urs. But years of work has helped me greatly. I just want to see the ppl who are kind, and I have met a few on here, who embrace my recovery and yes I will get my dr to help me with binge eating-it makes u fat. And it hurts my tummy/intestines. Bottom line not healthy.

Those who see the stigma in caps and ignore it and help with my questions are great ppl in my eyes. Idk why ur so hell bent on this B-Ri
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are now binge eating then it's a good thing you have decided to talk to you doctor. Without addressing that ED, and learning to manage that better I'm not sure any amount of advice here on calorie counting or portion control will be that helpful. Losing a few pounds is secondary to having achieved a healthy mental attitude AND activity towards food. I'd focus on that - consider if achieving those results are best served by using calorie counting or not. The people telling you that perhaps not using the site are thinking of your best interest. Good luck.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Thanks I just want to get back to my norm weight. Well better and not have to go crazy. Yes I have been taught. I ignore the ppl (ppl can be vicious or use a diff method of the same idea) ty for the concern

I'm not sure what Her height and weight has to do with me.

Nor do I recall saying I was 5ft6. Plus many ppl change their weight goals right? Mine was a low 110. But I upped it to 120 lbs. Isn't that better? If I wanted to go back to my anorexia (no ty) I wouldn't be on this site I'd go to a pro e.d site.

Idk y ur so angry. My e.d cannot be cured with a pill like urs. But years of work has helped me greatly. I just want to see the ppl who are kind, and I have met a few on here, who embrace my recovery and yes I will get my dr to help me with binge eating-it makes u fat. And it hurts my tummy/intestines. Bottom line not healthy.

Those who see the stigma in caps and ignore it and help with my questions are great ppl in my eyes. Idk why ur so hell bent on this B-Ri

The bottom line is you are not recovered from an ED, you just switched from one end of the spectrum to the other. You are inconsistent with the truth.

"I have had every ED out there. Most common for me are BED and Ana. I am trying to recover here. Bed got me here. So Idk. Never been in recovery. Only admitted to psychiatric wards." - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1330165-ed-self-recovery-group-bulimia-anorexia-bed-ednos

"I'm 5f6
    CW 134-136;bs,
    GW 115
    ugw 105lbs
    Edited by Stella_Mayfair On August 11, 2014 9:13 AM" - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1392954-5-6-ladies-what-is-your-goal-weight?page=2

I'm neither angry nor hating. I just have a very low tolerance for those who are incapable of telling the truth and keeping a consistent story. Your contradictory statement in the first post of this thread where you claimed you were recovered from your ED while simultaneously suffering from an ED appears to be a common theme for you. You claim one thing, then claim something completely different ... sometimes in different threads, sometimes in the same sentence. You make impossible claims such as destroying seven years of muscle "toning" in the span of ten days. It is obvious that you still require a lot of professional help with your issues and that the unhealthy ED thought patterns run rampant through your mind.

Goals do change, however failure to acknowledge and take ownership of your previous statements makes it seem that you didn't actually have an evolving position but got caught and called out for an unhealthy target and hoped that making a new statement would make people overlook multiple past comments.