Anyone allergic to latex?

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My wife is allergic to latex, well has a latex sensitivity would be the better term.

Most likely due to over use of latex gloves at the hospital where she works.

Polyurethane codoms, nitrile gloves will be the correction for this.

It seems it's becoming a more common allergy, her floor now has zero latex gloves, and other floors in the hospital have rooms that are zero latex.

Can you still get those Polyurethane condoms? I can't find them anymore. If you know, tell me where/how to get them again.

I used a type called 'Skyn' that were some kind of poly instead of latex, maybe see if those are still around?

Durex makes them. www.drugstore.com
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Only when pulled over my face. It makes my nose run.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My wife is allergic to latex, well has a latex sensitivity would be the better term.

It seems it's becoming a more common allergy, her floor now has zero latex gloves, and other floors in the hospital have rooms that are zero latex.

Can you still get those Polyurethane condoms? I can't find them anymore. If you know, tell me where/how to get them again.

I used a type called 'Skyn' that were some kind of poly instead of latex, maybe see if those are still around?

Durex makes them. www.drugstore.com

I used to get them from durex. But, haven't been able to find them. Thanks!
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to latex. You don't want to know how I found that out. LOL. It sucks.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to latex. You don't want to know how I found that out. LOL. It sucks.

I can imagine! I unfortunately figured it out during my first long-term relationship. I was always *slightly* sensitive to some latex items & certain fruits as a teen, but uh...apparently...repeated exposure over a length of time causes it to worsen. Yea... :blushing: :laugh:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to latex
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Durex and LifeStyle both make non-latex condoms.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

"SKYN" is the brand we use. All of their condoms are non-latex
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Durex and LifeStyle both make non-latex condoms.

Both are more expensive than SKYN, and of lesser quality IMO
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

"SKYN" is the brand we use. All of their condoms are non-latex

Thank you!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to latex, too. Over the years this has also affected some foods that mimic a latex allergy, like bananas and papayas...so far i am still able to eat avocados, but that will probably change in the next few years.

At first it was just the latex itself, then the powder coating, then any thing that held contact for an extended period of time. Now just touching it will break me out. I carry an epi-pen with me just in case I eat food that was handled with latex gloves. Thankfully, as latex sensitivities become more common, hospitals and food service establishments are banning latex and going to vinyl, poly or nitrile.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. My sensitivity was discovered decades ago post-op. The surgical staff taped my incision, and I got to spend an extra day in the hospital recovering from a horrible rash. Latex allergy must be fairly common. Now whenever a medical person comes at me with gloves or a bandage and I ask if it is latex, the response is typically, "We do not use anything latex any longer."

I am also allergic to nickel and sensitive to spandex. Good luck finding clothing for women with 0% spandex.
    Ditto. This was how I found out as well. For me it's not really bad, but I couldn't do the dental dams at the dentist when they were latex.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful, too, because some of the flu and pneumonia shot serums are in a latex base (which is just ridiculous to me....) It landed me in the ER with anaphylactic shock about six years ago.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Me! I found out in my AP Biology class in high school when I was dissecting a cat. I showed my red, swollen hand to my teacher and he just replied with "Make sure you always buy lambskin condoms." :laugh:
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yessss I am allergic to latex.. Don't ask how I found out :laugh:
  • UnitedBoy_83
    Options
    Yep; wasn't fun finding that out haha
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Yes, and so is my son and my father. It is surprising how many things have latex in them.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Yessss I am allergic to latex.. Don't ask how I found out :laugh:

How did you find out? (I was never good with following directions)
  • corrina_ann
    Options
    I am as well! I found out after getting a tattoo and the artist used latex gloves!! Not fun!!
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    My husband is allergic to Latex.

Nah, that's just something he tells you to make it feel better :D