Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oh, and PS- once your body is used to healthier eating patterns, should you decide to overindulge in pizza or chinese food or whatever your "junk" food of choice is... I'm willing to bet your body is going to protest. I ordered chinese food last friday night and even though I ate less of what I normally do my body was NOT happy with me. I felt like I wanted to throw up for the next 12 hours. I'm sure if I had eaten only one dumpling and one scallion pancake I would have been ok- I know I went a bit overboard, and my stomach definitely let it be known loud and clear that it was too much of not the right stuff.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses and start exercising self-control. Otherwise, you'll never stop being a slave to your impulses.
    Is saying: "I don't eat candy" self control?

It depends. I generally don't eat candy because, except very occasionally, I don't like it. I wouldn't call that self control. On the other hand, if someone has to cut something out entirely or risk binging then I'd say that they have a self control problem.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses and start exercising self-control. Otherwise, you'll never stop being a slave to your impulses.

It depends. I generally don't eat candy because, except very occasionally, I don't like it. I wouldn't call that self control. On the other hand, if someone has to cut something out entirely or risk binging then I'd say that they have a self control problem.
    LOL
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

LOL

:huh:

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by any reaction you might have to this discussion
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

LOL

:huh:

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by any reaction you might have to this discussion
    Okay.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

It's obviously much more difficult to eat less of <insert "forbidden" food here>, than it is to avoid said food completely.

The only way we can prove to ourselves (and MFP, and the world at large) that we have achieved the highest enlightened state of self-control is to keep eating those foods.

Hope this helps.

Why? I've never had my doctor warn me I have a cookie deficiency. Why would I eat them just to prove I got it under control when the best foods for my health, happiness, and energy levels seem to all be in the produce section?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

It's obviously much more difficult to eat less of <insert "forbidden" food here>, than it is to avoid said food completely.

The only way we can prove to ourselves (and MFP, and the world at large) that we have achieved the highest enlightened state of self-control is to keep eating those foods.

Hope this helps.

Why? I've never had my doctor warn me I have a cookie deficiency. Why would I eat them just to prove I got it under control when the best foods for my health, happiness, and energy levels seem to all be in the produce section?

I agree. That makes no sense. MFP is the only fitness/health website I've seen with such backwards thinking. And people that are proud of it. As if there is only one path to success. Mind boggling.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I agree. That makes no sense. MFP is the only fitness/health website I've seen with such backwards thinking. And people that are proud of it. As if there is only one path to success. Mind boggling.

It's not backwards thinking, it's logical thinking. Many people wind up losing weight and then putting it back on, then embark on the cycle again... usually many times. MFP is filled with people who failed to maintain, often because they used a fad method to lose weight: eliminating foods, eating too few calories and messing up their metabolism, assuming exercise is for weight loss and thus stop exercising once they reach their goals but don't lessen how much food they eat to ensure they are not eating above their new/lower TDEE.

So instead of going about weight loss as being a "diet," you go about it as being a time to lose some fat. And the way to do that is to eat less food, not to restrict what you eat. Many people embark on a "clean" diet but don't stick to it forever because it can be very frustrating and stressful. When I used to "eat clean," I didn't even eat rice cakes because I deemed them to be unclean. But like.. it's just rice and water. I demonized foods, I was always worried at restaurants about what I could eat, and if I did happen to indulge in something "forbidden," I often overdid it.

It's much easier to eat a lifestyle than it is to eat a diet. So if you know you'll always and forever "eat clean" then that's your lifestyle, not your diet. THankfully there are people on the MFP forums who have lost lots of weight and kept it off with this flexible/moderation approach to eating, and are trying to get more people to understand that diet =/= eating only acceptable foods.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

LOL

I honestly don't know why this is funny. His statement is blunt and maybe insensitive, but it's true. And I'm saying this as someone who's recovered from binge eating disorder. Bingeing is a compulsion. We don't have to give in to compulsions. Figuring out why you do it is the most important step and it rarely has anything to do with food.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options

It's not backwards thinking, it's logical thinking. Many people wind up losing weight and then putting it back on, then embark on the cycle again... usually many times. MFP is filled with people who failed to maintain, often because they used a fad method to lose weight: eliminating foods, eating too few calories and messing up their metabolism, assuming exercise is for weight loss and thus stop exercising once they reach their goals but don't lessen how much food they eat to ensure they are not eating above their new/lower TDEE.

So instead of going about weight loss as being a "diet," you go about it as being a time to lose some fat. And the way to do that is to eat less food, not to restrict what you eat. Many people embark on a "clean" diet but don't stick to it forever because it can be very frustrating and stressful. When I used to "eat clean," I didn't even eat rice cakes because I deemed them to be unclean. But like.. it's just rice and water. I demonized foods, I was always worried at restaurants about what I could eat, and if I did happen to indulge in something "forbidden," I often overdid it.

It's much easier to eat a lifestyle than it is to eat a diet. So if you know you'll always and forever "eat clean" then that's your lifestyle, not your diet. THankfully there are people on the MFP forums who have lost lots of weight and kept it off with this flexible/moderation approach to eating, and are trying to get more people to understand that diet =/= eating only acceptable foods.

Well, it's sort of strange to think that you need to eat those kinds of foods regularly just to prove something. I'm okay with no longer eating a daily marshmallow fluff sandwich. And I am okay with the idea of never eating one again because I don't need to. I'm not hungry for it. Lots of people live happy, fulfilled lives without marshmallow fluff sandwiches.

But, it isn't as if I will never eat a cookie again or something like that, but it won't be on my grocery list because it doesn't need to be. A lifestyle doesn't need to include cakes and cookies if the individual doesn't want it to. To each, their own.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options

LOL

I honestly don't know why this is funny. His statement is blunt and maybe insensitive, but it's true. And I'm saying this as someone who's recovered from binge eating disorder. Bingeing is a compulsion. We don't have to give in to compulsions. Figuring out why you do it is the most important step and it rarely has anything to do with food.

This I agree with completely as someone who is also recovering. Currently, there is a cake in my house (not my purchase, but a gift), and I have comfortably chosen to not eat it because I'm not in the mood for cake. The reason I can choose not to eat it is because I am taking care of my emotions and stress levels. My eating it when not hungry (like in the past) would be due to something that has nothing to do with the cake itself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im new to this website.
    congrats on taking a step to improvement! and welcome
    As you can tell from the title I don't think moderation works for me.

you don't THINK it works for you or you haven't ever had success at it??
    I tried to keep moderation with unhealthy foods but I just dont like eating only 1.
    I never like eating only one- I just like the way I look more than I like eating 2. but that's a common problem.
    I have 2 problems.
    if you only have 2 you're off to a REALLY great start- for reals.
    First I am a college student so I am still living with my parents,
    not really a problem honestly.
    I would throw the food out but sadly im not the only one living here.
    no one expects you to toss everything- esp if you are in a shared house hold- what works better is giving yourself YOUR own drawer/shelf space and see if your family will help accomadate by tucking their food in one of THEIR spaces out of site . out of site out of mind has a significant impact- more than people are willing to admit)
    Also I have to admit even if I did throw out the food I would order pizza hut then
    two things- one- you can't eat NOTHING- well I mean you can- but then you'd starve and die... so if you DO start chucking foods- you have to buy new ones- in theory alternatives you deem appropriate and acceptable.
    Two- pizza hut is fine- I mean- if you like Pizza Hut- I'm partial to Papa Johns but whatever floats your boat honestly.
    . I love food too much.
    Please don't kid yourself- just because you love food- and you have some issues doesn't mean your the only one. And it doesn't mean those of us who have the bus rolling in the right direction have it all figured out and that we magically just don't love food. I LOVE food. I'm a completely and utter foodie- I would eat all day day in and day out if I could. I ADORE food. I have an inner fat kid that will without hesitation have cake and pie and ice cream for breakfast- glass of milk and 5 oreos? you betcha!!!

Many of us LOVE food- that isn't not something "wrong" its' normal.
    How can I quit the junk food once and for all?
    well. you don't need to.
    but you could also re-evalute your "junk food" terms.

I have some every day- but I pre-portion them- or I just don't buy it don't look at it.

Also- self discipline is like lifting weights or running- you aren't good at it when you're born- and you aren't good at it the first day in the gym. You only get good at it after you've done it for a while. So start with something SMALL. And work on training yourself. Seriously- it can be done- it's hard but it can totally be done.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

LOL

This I agree with completely as someone who is also recovering. Currently, there is a cake in my house (not my purchase, but a gift), and I have comfortably chosen to not eat it because I'm not in the mood for cake. The reason I can choose not to eat it is because I am taking care of my emotions and stress levels. My eating it when not hungry (like in the past) would be due to something that has nothing to do with the cake itself.

Nice. I wish you success in your continued recovery :drinker: I am the most proud that I can keep large quantities of ice cream bars in the house and not feel the urge to eat all of them at once.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    The world is full of temptations, the only thing that stands between them and you is self control.

that's all I got for you too. Sorry, but life is not going to get any easier and you need to practice self control.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Well, it's sort of strange to think that you need to eat those kinds of foods regularly just to prove something. I'm okay with no longer eating a daily marshmallow fluff sandwich. And I am okay with the idea of never eating one again because I don't need to. I'm not hungry for it. Lots of people live happy, fulfilled lives without marshmallow fluff sandwiches.

But, it isn't as if I will never eat a cookie again or something like that, but it won't be on my grocery list because it doesn't need to be. A lifestyle doesn't need to include cakes and cookies if the individual doesn't want it to. To each, their own.

The point is to avoid extremes. If you can cut out sweets completely and not feel deprived, then fine, no one is saying you shouldn't do that. The concern is for those who cut them out but do feel deprived because it's hard to live an ascetic lifestyle and it can lead to the binge/diet cycle that so many are familiar with. Again, if you don't feel deprived then no problem, but if you can't eat one of something without binging then I have my doubts, and perhaps, just perhaps, you may want to listen.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop eating that stuff, just stop. Tell yourself, "No." Like some else said, self-control.

If you cannot stop, see if you can find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. They can help you figure out if you have one or not. They can also help you and work through why you want that stuff so much.
    im sorry but its not easy to just stop! maybe you have battled your issues but for someone who is just starting out it takes time. im 30 days into this and I still have trouble with temptations. some days I got it in the bag and the next im eating like I don't want to lose weight. its hard very hard so to tell someone that is wrong. maybe not be wrong to you but its wrong to me
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Between your previous comment about how there is only one correct relationship with food (and it includes eating for mental and emotional reasons) and this one about how you refused rice cakes because they were unclean, it seems like that you may have had and may continue to have some serious issues with food.

If what you're doing now is working for you, great! Keep it up!!!! No way I'd suggest you change anything.

You might, though, consider seeking a therapist who could help you work through your possible food issues. One who specializes in eating disorders would be a great idea. I'm not saying you have an eating disorder, but that kind of therapist will understand food issues.

It sounds like you've found a nice groove and I'm really happy for you! :) But you may have a little way left to go.

I hope this doesn't freak you out and make you angry or anxious. I'm not trying to be condescending, but helpful. Take it or leave it, but I mean no harm and wish you well. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Moderation does not work for me when it comes to chocolate. I cannot eat just one Oreo cookie or one chocolate bar. So I try to avoid it all together.

Yeah, I learned yesterday that rice krispy treats are my kryptonite. I ate like 6 of them. I'm seriously avoiding them altogether from now on.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Although diets that eliminate whole categories of food are generally not so sustainable, some people benefit from them. Heck, for some, a "cleanse" can be a really good reset to break daily habits. So, if you are unable to eat just one slice of pizza, for instance, you may want to never eat pizza at all, or go entirely low carb for a while.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

It is completely backwards. Who tells a recovering alcoholic that in order to "prove" that they now have control over their issues, they need to have a drink from time to time? It's ludicrous.

And, I know some people here don't like the alcohol analogy (I think Mr.MM27 already disparaged it), but I'm sorry, if you're a person that is significantly overweight (obese, morbidly obese), that's a far more apt analogy. You obviously have a problem with food or a problem that you're soothing/coping with food to address. The idea of cold turkey may make the most sense for such people. At the very least, it's a valid path. And such people never have to indulge in certain things to "prove" their self-control. They can change habits, make substitutions or simply abstain -- all valid responses other than moderation of the same trigger foods. Total poppycock and lunacy.